Anyone had a Laparoscopy & Hysterocopy *Updated*

MrsHowley81

Reaction score
I am due to have one in a few weeks and I am so scared..... More of the after effects of being knocked out, Would be very grateful if any of you ladies could share any of you experiences to help put me at ease, any tips would be great as well :)

Hi, I had my lap about 7 weeks ago, it honestly wasn't that bad. although I think everybody's experience is slightly different, truthfully the worst part for me was the recovery from the general anaesthetic (im always pretty sick). had just what I would describe as mild discomfort from the 2 places where the surgeon went in but fine with painkillers. Had quite a bit of shoulder pain from the gas they pump in, but i was up and about within a few days and back in work after 6 days. Like I said though I have seen on here people have found it worse, I think if they have to do any treatment during the op it can be more painful afterwards. But I do have a high pain threshhold! Hope this helps and feel free to ask me anything else hun :)

Thanks Mrsd. The pain doesn't bother me I deal with pain quite well too luckily, it is just the anaesthetic that is worrying me, apart from being sick how did you feel? did they give you pain relief when you were under? Did they find anything? x

They gave me paracetamol and a pessary before having the op and then as soon as I come round more pain releif so that wasnt too bad. After the anaesthetic I just felt very faint/sick/tired and groggy (this is very normal for me after general) They gave me anti sickness which didnt really do much, i think the first 12 hours i slept on and off, was sent home about 3 hours after op tho, was glad to be home. Both tubes were fine thankfully but they did find endometriosis, iv got my appointment with my fs a week today so should find out more and he said to discuss clomid so fingers crossed. Hope everything goes ok for you

I had my LAP and dye last december. It wasn't that bad at all. I think it can also depend on how much they do when they are in. For me they found mild endometriosis on the outside of my uterus, my bladder and rectum, and took adhesions off one tube to unkink it (but is was already open). The most uncomfortable thing was the pain in my shoulder from the gas they pump in (it's actually the displaced pain of the gas irritating your diaphragm). That lasted about 2-3 days I think. I had the procedure on a monday morning and I was home by early afternoon (maybe 1) and I slept most of the day. I was also nauseous for quite a while after the procedure due to the anesthesia and the pain killer they put in my IV before waking up. I know I never took the prescription pain killer and I'm pretty sure I didn't even take tylenol. Mostly it just feels like I was really sore, like from a workout: I couldn't cough and God forbid I had to sneeze, out. Like I said I had the procedure on a monday morning and I went back to work (very cautiously) on wednesday afternoon at 3pm. I felt basically back to normal in 1 week, expect the incision sites which were a little sensitive for maybe a month. Oh, and I wasn't really in the mood for sex for almost 2 weeks (which was ok because we weren't suppose to try that cycle anyway).

Thanks Mrsd and Phoenixrose for your help, I am definitely feeling much better about the whole thing now, I am going to try Hypnotherapy on Tuesday and the day before the op to help a bit more...... either way I have to have it done to get my baby :)

So my Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy is tomorrow, Didn't sleep too well, getting nervous now any reassurance is very welcome :) x

Glad I could help. I dont know if you've seen it but there's another thread in here from a girl who just had hers done. You should definitely read it because since she just had it done (she wrote it the day after) she includes a lot of detail that most of us have forgotten.

I think that was me, and here is a link to the thread - https://www.babyandbump.com/problems-trying-conceive/814256-my-laparoscopy-story.html.

For me, it wasn't that bad. The day after I had some significant shoulder pain (it took my breath away) and I sometimes have a hard time laying down (even now) due to pain in my shoulder and/or chest. Walking was uncomfortable, but tolerable, at first. Today I'm 4 days post op and have been moving around quite a bit...took a shower, etc. I got a little dizzy, so I sat down, ate real food (had only had M&Ms this morning), and am hoping it passes soon as I want to go to the grocery store. That to say, I guess it's a good idea to take it really slow and to work back up to doing more. I've been doing that, but think I went a little too far today :)

Please let me or the others know if you have questions!

Thanks Lizzy, I mostly scared of how the drugs and anaesthetic will make me feel , I hate not being in control of my body, How did you feel afterwards were you like happy you did it and relieved etc? x

Thanks Lizzy, I mostly scared of how the drugs and anaesthetic will make me feel , I hate not being in control of my body, How did you feel afterwards were you like happy you did it and relieved etc? x

I was scared too to not have control of my body....was afraid of being sick, saying something stupid, etc. However, that didn't end up being the case for me. I woke up, heard the nurse introduce herself, and then she took my oxygen mask off. I was very groggy but also aware of what was going on. I even asked what time it was and remembered what time my surgery was at (thus was able to determine that I wasn't in surgery long). I never felt nauseous and the nurse asked several times how I felt and if I said I was in pain, she gave me meds right away. I was relieved it was done and thrilled to not feel sick and happy to not be in unbearable pain. Of course I hope I never have to do this again, but if I do, I wouldn't sweat it nearly as much as I did this time. It's still a pain, but not as bad as I thought it'd be. I hope this helps!

I know it's scary, and it's totally understandably to be worried about it! I even cried at the hospital before the surgery and I think they thought I was a sissy. But...I think you'll be totally okay and happy you did it. Just be sure to ask for drugs if you need them :)

Hi there. I had a hysteroscopy and d&c on Friday, and was also most scared about being put to sleep and the effects when I woke up. I woke up FINE! Just like I had been taking a little nap! Haha. My husband said, "I expected you to be crying or acting weird, and I come around the corner and there you are, all smiles eating your graham crackers and drinking your ginger ale!!" :haha: So, it's possible to have no side effects at all!! Good luck hun!! :hugs:

I had my Lap done 5 days ago. The recovery was also probably the worst part for me too. I had trouble focusing on anything and woke up very panicky. They gave me Morphine for pain and something for the anxiety I was feeling. I was quickly back to sleep and woke maybe an hour later when they brought my husband back. I STRESSED over and over again how being put to sleep makes me nauseous, how pain killers do the same and made sure they gave me Zofran (anti-nausea pill, patch, or injection) So they gave me the patch and also put some in my IV just to cover all bases. I didn't wake up feeling even a little bit sick, which was a huge relief. They wouldn't allow me to leave until I urinated, after surgery it's very difficult. Your brain doesn't always tell your bladder when it's time to go...so it took 2 days for me to be able to actually pee without trouble. What really helped and may sound gross was squatting in my bathtub. The pressure on my bladder from squatting helped release the urine. Might be worth trying if you have trouble as well. I have 5 incisions...one in my belly button and 4 on the pubic crease. Those don't hurt even a little, maybe itch a bit though. The bloating right now is a bit uncomfortable, but you burp or pass a lot of it when you have gas.

Good luck to you during your surgery and I hope all goes well!

So here is my story...... Yesterday I arrived at the hospital around 11am lots of waiting around. Once I had seen all the relevant people I was good to go, surgery was running a bit late so our bay of ladies started going to theater around 2, They then came and gave me some paracetamol, and the wait for my turn seemed like forever, but when they came to get me I started shaking and I was so nervous, but the staff were great and really reassuring, they wheeled me into a small room where they hooked me up to blood pressure monitor and put the little suckers and wires on my chest. They put in a canula on the back of my hand, I then had some pain meds which made me proper whoozie but only for about 3 seconds as I was then asleep....... then I was awake and all I heard was someone saying Shell, and I remember saying I am so happy, she then asked me how bad my pain was on a scale of 1-10 I was 2 or 3 so she gave me some codeine which I asked what the strength was, I only had one as they were 30 mg, she checked my blood pressure then asked me how my pain was It was a 1 by this point I was being wheeled back to the ward it was that quick, I had been in recovery for 20 minutes and I was in surgery for 40 mins so it was an hour all in all, I felt like I'd had a really amazing sleep, I was pain free by this point and didn't feel ill at all, my mouth was very very dry and my throat was sore but all bearable, so I kept drinking water, they brought me a nice hot chocolate too, the only thing I found was that my concentration was rubbish if I was doing something I couldn't talk at the same time and was getting a bit mardy, I was very well looked after had 2 nurses most of the time and 2 hours later I was being sent home, It was absolutely fine and I was worried about nothing, The consultant came very quickly afterwards to tell me of his findings the news is that I have PID, which means my tubes have extensive scarring and they are stuck to my uterus but the good news is that my ovaries are absolutely fine which is lucky as they usually get damaged, and we are now being referred for IVF so it was well worth doing, I would do it again if I had to I only had a bit of shoulder pain, My incision above my belly button is sore but nothing major and I feel a bit achey, my sore throat is not too bad at all today, I even ate my mcdonalds from last night for breakfast, so all in all it was a good experience.

I'm glad you're doing well and that the surgery wasn't too much of a problem!!

MrsHowley81: sorry to hear about the PID, but I'm happy for you in the sence that you now have answers and you now have a plan of what to do next. And I'm glad the experience wasn't bad at all so we didn't all look like liars :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->