Anyone had an amnio?

FEDup1981

Mam of two & two angels
Reaction score
I have mine on thursday and im starting to get very nervous!

Im worried about the pain, flinching, and risk of m/c. I'm a wuss with pain as it is, and i hate needles, especially ones that big!!! :wacko:

Any reassurance? x

:hugs: I have had 2 CVS with my last 2 pregnancies. Personally I didn't find them painful, maybe a little uncomfortable a most. It is scary, but I found it no where near as bad as I imagined. Make sure you have someone to drive you home and take it easy for a couple of days. I had no real cramps after either of mine and no bleeding:flower:

Hi,

I had an amnio last year and it wasnt too bad. Its over and done with in seconds and all the way through it your baby is constantly being monitored on the scan. There will be two doctors, one doing the scan and the second inserting the needle. They dont mess about its in then out. I have mine again next tuesday too. Hope everything goes well and if you need to ask anything else just ask or PM me xxx

I had one when I was pregnant with Findlay, they aren't painful at all, it's more pressure you feel rather than a sharp pain if that makes sense and it is over in a flash. Just take it easy for the rest of the day after you have it done and I am sure you'll be fine.

I had one in December and it was not bad at all! Felt like a getting a shot. I would recommend laying back with your eyes closed (don't look at the needle), take deep calm breaths and it will be over in no time.
Make sure you have someone to drive you home afterwards. Then put your feet up, relax, watch a favorite movie, drink lots of water, and take it easy the next few days. Honestly the worst part of an amnio is waiting for the results! Good luck and I'm sure all will be fine :flower:

May I ask the reason you guys had ammino? I'm considering having a private one but have to make fast decison as I'm 15 weeks. The reason for me having one would be to be sure nothing is wrong with the baby. I had combined test already and had low risk.

May I ask the reason you guys had ammino? I'm considering having a private one but have to make fast decison as I'm 15 weeks. The reason for me having one would be to be sure nothing is wrong with the baby. I had combined test already and had low risk.

If your low risk then why risk the complications that come with such an invasive procedure. The m/c rate is 1 in 100. Its not something to take lightly. I certainly wouldnt give it a second thoght if my risk was low.

However my risk came back as 1 in 11 for downs, so very high, and so after weeks of thinking we have decided to test to know for sure. :thumbup:

hey hun, ive not had one but they talked about doing one wen charlies problem was first seen. my consultant said that the risk of mc was very low now and he hadnt had a mc caused by amnio since 1997.

i hope all is well, will be thinking of you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->