Anyone had fertility testing?

lucy_smith

Reaction score
Unfortunately you don't get fertility tests on NHS until you have been ttc for a year? Am I right?
Contemplating getting a fertility tests done. Anyone else ? And why?
I am because I have endometriosis, awful period pains and my mum n gran both went through menopause early! Am I nuts to want to get tested?

I wouldn't be getting any testing done unless necessary.

I would wait and see how you go before paying for private tests. For all you know, you could fall pregnant first month.

You could have testing done and they discover a problem, yet still fall pregnant easily. Or they could find nothing wrong, and it still take you several months to conceive.

If there was a genuine medical concern about your fertility, the NHS would fund testing, so your doctor obviously believes there is a good chance you won't have any more difficulty than anyone else.

The only person who can give you case specific advice is your doctor, so I would phone for advice if you are concerned about anything.

It is natural to worry - I am petrified that I will miscarry again, I am scared that I won't fall pregnant, and I am scared about the actual practicalities of pregnancy, but in reality it is best just to relax and deal with issues as they arrive.

Good luck!

Will it help to know before you try or would it just add worry, I agree try at least for a few months first

I'm an advocate for early testing if you have any reason to think something is wrong. We had testing done early on, and discovered a double-whammy. We had issues making it next to impossible that we would get pregnant in the short term without treatment, and I had very low ovarian reserve making us not really have the option of just rolling the dice again and again in the hopes we would luck out. It still took us 24 cycles, plus a surgery and IUIs and meds, but I'm glad we didn't waste any time. Our case is definitely not like most others, in fact more of a statistical rarity....but especially if you have any fear of early menopause / low ovarian reserve, in my opinion you don't have the luxury of time to wait and see.

Thanks for you advice!
I don't know what to think. I think I'm also worried as for the 4 years I've been living with him I have only spent 1 year on contraception, 1 and a half using the pull out method and for the last year and a half probably we have not really used anything. Pull out method sometime and sometimes not. Which I didn't expect to get pregnant but the longer we are on the fence about trying the longer I'm not being able to find out if I have a problem .

how old are you? and how young were they when they went through menopause? (if you dont mind me asking!) this is something that worries me a lot x

I'm 22 turning 23 towards the end of the year. My gran went through menopause in her llate 30s must have been as she said se had finished with menopause at 40. My mum also started menopause late 30s.
I worry as I have endo which also feels like it's pushing me along .
Having earlier than normal menopause cause your fertility to peak sooner? What are you worried about?

I worry about all kinds of things, I'm on the pill and I get cramps throughout the month and that worries me that something is wrong, I worry that the more I wait the more likely something will happen that will make things harder x

I got tested for PCOS after my second, but it all came back negative so I don't have it :)

I decided to do private testing in London on Harley street. I'm really glad I did. I had the tests done when I was 26, and they came back with low ovarian reserve and the doc suggested I had five years of comfortable fertility. I moved to the states and had it retested just to get a second opinion- it was even worse and my ovarian reserve is dropping rapidly. I'm so glad I did the tests (I didn't do it because of medical necessity, but because in a gay relationship I needed to know if I could get pregnant before spending a lot of money on sperm) and I have that information so I can make an informed decision.

My opinion: If you think there is a potential problem, and you can afford to do the tests, do it.

I decided to do private testing in London on Harley street. I'm really glad I did. I had the tests done when I was 26, and they came back with low ovarian reserve and the doc suggested I had five years of comfortable fertility. I moved to the states and had it retested just to get a second opinion- it was even worse and my ovarian reserve is dropping rapidly. I'm so glad I did the tests (I didn't do it because of medical necessity, but because in a gay relationship I needed to know if I could get pregnant before spending a lot of money on sperm) and I have that information so I can make an informed decision.

My opinion: If you think there is a potential problem, and you can afford to do the tests, do it.

Did you have any symptoms of low ovarian reserve?

Nope, no symptoms at all. My mom is very fertile- 4 kids with a 20 year span, and she always told me I'd have no problems at all with it... but I just wanted to be sure before spending so much money on frozen sperm. I'm so glad I had it tested!

How long is it until you're planning to ttc? If you're planning to ttc relatively soon I'd leave off on fertility testing but if you aren't trying in the next couple of years I'd go for it. If you had tests done and found out that you are likely to have an early menopause or will struggle concieving would you start ttc sooner? If so I'd say it is worth getting the tests done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->