anyone had pre-eclempcia with 1st baby and had more?

deobi

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hubby and are thinking about when or if we'd like to have another LO, but I am still on the fence because of pre-eclempcia. When Dean was first born I said I would only be having the one becasue the whole expereicen was too hard and he was IUGR so we were worried about future problems.

Now that he is perfect and wonderful we have tossed around the idea of having another at some point but the fear is keeping me from really considering it.

I spoke with my obgyn and she said although it could happen again it's not a reason not to have another, especially since Dean was fine...risking it just seems so scary.

Are there any ladies who have had this and had normal subsequent pregnancies or had it with other pregnancies?

I didn't have pre eclampsia but the nursery nurse at my daughters clinic first child was premature due to pre eclampsia. She had been told that providing she had the same partner then the chances were low of it happening again but was advised against having a 3rd as the chances increased again. She had a second fullterm and didn't have anymore.

Don't know if it's the same for everyone though.

I had severe preeclampsia with my first in September, OH and I havent even considered the possiblity of having another yet as it is all still too raw (LO was born at 24 weeks and not long out of the hosp) however at my follow up app with my ob she said even at the severity I had it it is certainly not a reason not to have another. She said there is a 50/50 chance of getting it again in a subsequent pregnancy but that in most cases it is far less severe and further on in your pregnancy. I would also think you would be more closely monitored and therefore any signs would be picked up very quickly. I do know what you mean about the fear though!

I'm glad you've asked this, as I'm interested to see people's replies too. I had Sophie at 27 weeks due to severe pre eclampsia which was discovered at 25 weeks and we'd love another baby sometime but I'm scared.....scared in case it happened again even earlier, also because I was one hour from organ failure and I've now got Sophie to think about, and because I'm worried in case another baby wouldn't do as well as Sophie has. The health visitor has been asking me about our plans for another baby and she said I'd be very very closely watched a second time, and that it's less likely to happen again with the same partner. I have a friend who had it at I think 33 or 34 weeks first time round and didn't get the second time - she had a planned c section at 39 weeks because they wanted to deliver while the going was good and not risk anything.

Hi in 1999 I had pre eclampsia, had to have an emergency C-section other wise we would have lost Casey and I was very ill too had to go on HDU for 3 days, she was delivered at 32 weeks weighing 3Ib 4oz and in SCBU for nearly 2 months.

I vowed I would never put myself and another child through this ever, then I met my OH and although I was very scared we decided to try, trying to put the thought of pre eclampsia behind me.
I was marked as a high risk pregnancy and kept a close eye on, (they told that I would most likely end up having probelms)but apart from a few problems in early pregnancy, nothing to do with pre eclampsia, I sailed through with no sign of pre eclampsia at any stage and this is with a different partner.

I now have a very healthly 1 year old who was born by c-section at 39 weeks weighing 6Ib 15oz, was home from hospital after 2 days :)

We may even concider having another baby one day?

Hope this helps and puts your minds at rest :hugs:

:hug:

Glad you asked this!

We are also considering having another one but are scared that I might develop PE again. Will be interesting to see what other peoples experiences have been!

:wave: I am a pre-eclampsia mum!!!

My first was born at 29 weeks, on christmas day 2005, my pregnancy was perfect up until christmas eve when instinct told me something was wrong, so off I went to hospital, they gave me steroids, scans etc and Reagan was delivered by emergency section the next morning, having had IUGR aswell caused by the PET she weighed just 2lbs 5ozs...and came home on valentine's day, so a stay of about 7 weeks in NICU.

It took me 4 years to even think about having another baby let alone trying, we fell on our first month...I was consultant led all the way through, on aspirin and calcium from 12 weeks, had 4 weekly growth scans, spent days here and there in and out of hospital, had 2 weekly midwife or consultant appointments, then at 38.5 weeks on a routine checkup they discovered I had protein in my urine, pre-eclampsia had got me again, and they delivered Amber the next day weighing 7lbs 12ozs.

So in my case it did happen twice, just much later the second time around, I didn't enjoy my second pregnancy one bit, I was a nervous and emotional wreck all the way through waiting for it to happen again...but I made it, so it is possible.

My babies have different dad's, so not sure if that made a difference this time around.

And yep...after saying no more after Reagan...I will be TTC number 3 in just a few months time :haha:

well i developed pre e @ 20 weeks and had my baby @ 25 weeks it was not because of pre e though i had other issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->