Anyone had to see a consultant due to low HB?

natalies1982

TTC and mummy to 3
Reaction score
Hi all im currently 36+4 weeks pregnant with baby number 4.

at my 12 week booking app my HB was 11.9.

28 weeks it was 10.4 so was put on iron tablets (2 a day)

it was repeated at 32 weeks and had dropped to 9.5 so was put on 3 tablets a day.

it was repeated on friday at 35+5 and its now 8.9.

ive got to see the consultant on friday to discuss this. but obv no idea what they will do.

when it dropped to 9.5 the doctor said he wanted my levels around 10.5 but more nearer 11 by 38 weeks. im 37 weeks on sunday so cant see this now being the case.

i feel awlful have done for months i can barely climb 5 stairs at home without needing to collapse (not good when u live in a town house), i have no energy and get alot of heart palpatations.

I know a baby takes a lot of vitamins away from our bodies. My iron was at 10.4 last check. They did a blood draw again today to see if it has gone up. I've always been anemic anyways and I can hardly tolerate liquid iron, let alone the tablets. I hope they sort it out for you. My consultant was just worried it wasn't high enough because I'm having a section.

i think hes taking them all and leaving me with sod all lol

im also eating red meat, green veg, taking iron with orange juice but nothing is working.

normal is 11 in pregnancy so i think they like them to be as close to 11 as possible. hopefully urs have come up

ive had to see consultant due to low hb levels in previous pregnancy and now this one is the same mine just keep going down and im now on 2 tablets a day.

what happened when u saw one b4? what can they do? i dont fancy having to inject myself with iron but not sure if it would need to be lower for that.

what is urs at the mo?

many thanks xx

They might offer an IV with iron whilst you're labour or even before then.

Anemia isnt always due to low iron levels. Low HB can be due to low vitamin B levels or different blood disorders. The consultant should check your blood for what else may be causing this. Sometimes your body doesnt metabolize the iron properly and that can be the problem. I think the consultant is definately something that you need since your regular doctor is unable to manage this.

to be honest in previos pregnancy it got so low i had a blood transfusion and they induced me the next day at 36+3.
this time my bloods were takn at 28 weeks and had gone from 13.2 to 10.4. Consultant just want to keep an eye on me aswell because of growth of babys.

hello and thank you for the replies

i saw the consulant on friday who wanted more bloods they have checked my b12 and ferratin levels plus a couple of other things. i had to go to DAU to have the bloods and a CTG on friday as baby heartbeat was high again.

he is now fully engaged.

i have to go back to the hospital tomorrow to see the consulant at 2pm and get the results and discuss what to do next. she did mentuon iron injections but that is something that really freaks me out tbh.

im 37 weeks today they have said although 8.9 isnt dangerously low its not what they would want at 37 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->