Anyone have problems getting early scan? (nhs) *UPDATE*

GreyGirl

Pregnant with no2!
Reaction score
Looong story short - I'm in the UK and 4 years ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. It wasn't discovered on several trips to A&E with extreme pain and eventually when they finally listened I had to have emergency surgery.
I was told that I'd need early scans on any future pregnancies and when I got pregnant eventually with my rainbow I had an early scan at 6+ weeks. I was at the same DR who knew my history.

I moved while 16 weeks pregnant and everything had to get transferred. I'm now at a new DR surgery and now I'm pregnant again. I'm going tomorrow morning to see the DR to ask for an early scan again - does anyone have a similar experience and had a tough time getting an early scan?

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) they automatically do early scans now. I booked my appointment with my doctor when I found out I was pregnant thinking that they would book me for 8 weeks, instead they scheduled me right away, 6 weeks.

I went for my appointment and the first thing after doing a urine test was a scan. They detected I had a SCH hemorrhage. I believe they're all starting to do 6 week scans if you call once you discover you're pregnant.

I hope you get your scan, either way, tell the new doctor your history and request one. Should be no issue to ask. Good Luck!

Over here you only and early scan if your high risk for miscarriage, high risk for another reason or your having
a bleed.

They certainly don't automatically do early scans on the NHS where i'm from in Scotland. As far as I understand if you've had history of early losses/ectopic then you may be offered an early scan. For those without a history then you would have to pay for a private scan if you wanted a scan before the standard 12 week scan which is offered on the NHS. OP, with your history I can't see it being a problem - GL!

I've had 2 MMC's - one required 5 day hospital treatment and one ended in surgery (D&E). This is my 4th pregnancy and I only got offered a scan cause my dr had got my betas done as well as booked me in with my MW early (less than 5 weeks). Usually they don't scan unless you're bleeding/cramping and you have to 'lie' sometimes even to get that! A mw once told me they don't offer scans for recurrent miscarriages or even for those who have had fertility treatment. I'd say be persistent and explain your history to anyone who will listen. I hope you get one hun

:flow:

I had an ectopic in February 2013 and was told that the next time I had to come in for an early scan. I fell pregnant with this baby December 2013 and was allowed to have an early scan, but only from 7 weeks on.

Wow! I guess everywhere is different. I guess my doctors are scan happy…every appointment they did an ultrasound on me and gave me pics/cd.

My doctor won't do a scan before 10 weeks. And with intermittent cramping and waxing and waning symptoms, it's driving me crazy. I just want to know the little one is okay in there. :(

Yes as you have a history of ectopic they would refer you for a scan. I've had recurrent miscarriage and my doctor has referred me everytime for a scan. x

I had a mmc found at my 12 week scan. My dr asked for an early scan the next time but the hospital said they didn't do reassurance scans :( my midwife lied for me and said I'd had bleeding to get an 8 week scan. I lost that baby at 21 weeks and this time the bereavement midwife sorted me a 7 week scan without even asking. They clearly have more power ;)

I know my NHS hosp don't offer early scans. :( mines for when I a, just over 12 weeks. Xx

I had a mmc found at my 12 week scan. My dr asked for an early scan the next time but the hospital said they didn't do reassurance scans :( my midwife lied for me and said I'd had bleeding to get an 8 week scan. I lost that baby at 21 weeks and this time the bereavement midwife sorted me a 7 week scan without even asking. They clearly have more power ;)

Congratulations on your new pregnancy xx

I believe it's policy that anyone who's had an ectopic is entitled to an early scan, your notes should all be on file.
Xx

I only managed to get a early scan because I had pain in my side and contracted my doctor and said I was worried so got a early scan at 8 weeks x

I think it depends on the pct. I managed to get one at 7 weeks due to the fact I had had 2 MCs. But if I had only one loss I wouldn't have been entitled to one. I think if you have a history of ectopic then you are entitled as you are more likely to have future ectopic pregnancies.

Definitely with mc it's hit and miss. My friend has had five losses and was still refused an early scan but because ectopic is so risky I think they are obliged to offer it.

Yes, you should definitely get an early scan with a previous history of ectopic. They can, after all be fatal, if left undetected.

I think the reason many don't offer them too readily to those with a history of MC is that an ultrasound is unlikely to make any difference to the health/ outcome of the pregnancy.

Having said that i think that most NHS trusts are very good, and will do early scans if you have a bleed and cramping.

Hi I couldn't get one when I fell pg after my first loss because I only had had 1 loss (!) even though my gp referred me for one. This time round the consultant from the twins said to call asap after bfp and they would do it. So I have a scan next week. My gp also referred but not sure if I'll get a second one. Good luck.

Due to my previous history of m/c's, mmc's & bo's I have a good relationship with our local hospital's Early Pregnancy Unit. I just ring them directly when I get my BFP and they sort it all out. I wish I didn't have the history to be able to do this, but I guess it is different in each PCT. With your history of ectopic you shouldn't have any trouble getting an early scan booked, if they don't mention it at your appointment make sure you stress it! Good luck sweetie! Big hugs!xxx

UPDATE:

Thank you everyone for your replies, I went this morning expecting a fairly easy appointment after your encouragement - it wasn't terrible but it wasn't easy.
I explained what I needed and his first words were "I don't think that's necessary." I then had to fight my corner and explain that the ectopic pregnancy was close to bursting last time as it was missed several times. I had to explain that I've come in now at 5 weeks because I don't want to go through the pain I did that time or the surgery...hence coming before symptoms appeared that time. He just didn't 'get it'. I think he just referred me to shut me up. I'm a bit annoyed that I had to recount quite so much to get him to refer me!
So for those of you in the same position, you might have to fight for it. Hopefully my appointment comes through soon and I get a scan when needed and I see a little sticky bun with a heartbeat!
On a positive note - I got a 3+ on my digi test this morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->