Anyone have surgery to correct a uterine malformation (bicornuate or heart shaped)?

bernina

Reaction score
Hello All.

I was recently diagnosed with a uterine septum (also known as a heart shaped uterus). My doctor indicated this could be the cause of my recurrent miscarriages. I guess problems arise when an embryo attaches to the septum as blood flow is not as plentiful as it is on the rest of the uterus. He suggested what he called a relatively simple procedure to correct and remove the septum. Apparently it's similar to a D&C where they'll go in with a scope and basically snip the septum away. I'll be down for one cycle but can start ttc with the next one.

I would love to hear from anyone who had this surgery and what your results have been. I'm doing my research on the web but it's always so nice to hear from someone who has been through it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.

Sorry, I haven't got any experience with what you have but the surgery your Dr is proposing sounds fairly straight forward. Let us know what you decide and I wish you all the best :flower:

Hugs love
Its good you have some answers
I have a mullerian abnormality too (didelphys) and there is a really useful yahoo forum with many women who have had their septums resected and had great outcomes. I have found it an excellent resource:

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MullerianAnomalies/

All the best xx

Thank you both for the replies!!! :hugs:

Oliveoyl (love the name!) Thank you for the information on the yahoo forum, I'm going to check that out right now, sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I think part of the problem is that I don't even know what terms to search on since there seem to be so many different names for it. I really appreciate your help!!

Sending loads of baby dust and most importantly sticky glue to you!!!!!

No worries bernina, always happy to help. PS I would search for "septate uterus" or "uterine septum". Pls let me know if you have any questions. I've also got some research papers on the management of uterine abnormalities if you want to msg me your email addy.
xx

HI Bernina
Dont know if you are still on here. I have just joined so im trying to find my way around!
Did you have the operation on septum? I have a 2cm septum in uterus and have had 4mcs (no children as yet). Am due to get the surgery done on 5th aug so would love to hear from you!
Helen
xx

Hi Maroon and welcome. You've found a great place for information and support, everyone on here is so nice and so knowledgeable.

I did have my septum removed and all went well. Still no BFP yet but don't think that has anything to do with the septum. I was worried about the surgery (first time under anesthesia) but it was fine with little down time.

I posted all the details on my ttc journal, you can read about it here:
https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-journals/254621-berninas-ttc-crumb-snatcher-journal-2.html

If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me or post on here, I'm subscribed to this thread so get notification anytime there is a new post.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!!!

Thanks Bernina!
Really hope you get your bfp soon!
I have been told I have to wait approx 6 weeks after the surgery then I should be ready to go again. Im worried that I will mc again after surgery and it wasnt the septum at all! However I have had all other tests done and all came back normal.
Thanks for your info.
Helen xx

Hi,
I recently went for a smear test and the nurse found a vaginal septum. I've had an US scan and have been diagnosed with a septate uterus. We were planning on starting trying for a baby prior to finding this out and am now confused. The consultant I have seen has booked me in to hae the vaginal septum removed and has given me the option to have the uterus done under the same GA. I feel really lucky to have found this out prior to experiencing a miscarriage but feel unsure as to whether I should have the septum removed now or wait to see if I can conceive and carry without the need to have the septum removed. Any help/advice would be fantastic!

Ali :wacko:

Personally given my experience and assuming you're comfortable with the diagnosis and evaluation you've received, I'd go ahead and get the surgey. For me it was minor outpatient surgery, no real down time, and a very quick recovery. We were given the green light to start ttc again after my next cycle.

It's one of those things that you may not need in order to have a sucessful pregnancy, but it's much better to get it taken care of instead of running the risk of miscarriage, early labor, or a baby born with problems due to restricted growth in the uterus.

If you have any questions about the surgery itself, please just let me know. I'd be happy to answer anything I can.

I did a detailed description in my journal here:
https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-journals/254621-berninas-ttc-crumb-snatcher-journal-2.html

Best of luck :hugs:

can someone please tell me what is the difference with a bicornuate, septate and arcuate uterus???? I am so confused and have been diagnosed with a septate uterus with a 1.2 cm septum. A surgery to remove it was recommended. I went for a 2nd opinion and they also recommended the surgery to remove the septum. But the 2nd dr called it an arcuate uterus. I simply thought it was a different term for the same thing. Am just so confused right now. Please help. Thank you in advance to all

can someone please tell me what is the difference with a bicornuate, septate and arcuate uterus???? I am so confused and have been diagnosed with a septate uterus with a 1.2 cm septum. A surgery to remove it was recommended. I went for a 2nd opinion and they also recommended the surgery to remove the septum. But the 2nd dr called it an arcuate uterus. I simply thought it was a different term for the same thing. Am just so confused right now. Please help. Thank you in advance to all

Hi Lola. I just wanted to let you know that I saw both of your posts and will reply later this evening. Long story short I am forever grateful I had the surgery. I really don't think I would have been able to sustain a pregnancy without it. The surgery was minor and out patient. I was put under but it was quick and relatively painless. Like I said, I'll write more later. Hang in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->