Anyone here do anything voluntary over xmas season?

EternalRose

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Well in the past, I do something special every year for people who are not so fortunate. Ive handed out xmas dinners, at hospices, bought teas and bacon sarnies to people on the streets in town. I am thinking about going to a soup kitchen near by this year, to hand out an xmas dinner or something.

If anyone knows a place where you can search for shelters/soup kitchens nearby that would be great as well!

Thanks and Merry Xmas everyone

EternalRose xx

I havent but its something id like to do, have thought about it a few time but wouldnt know where to start looking tbh

Last year I did some fundraising for the ISPCC (a children's charity). I did face painting in exchange for donations (as I'm in a face painting business). It felt really good to do it and the kids loved their faces being painted, and it made a good little stash of cash for the charity, too.

I won't be doing that this year because I'm trying to cut down on exposure to the public while pregnant and during the flu season.

Last year I did some fundraising for the ISPCC (a children's charity). I did face painting in exchange for donations (as I'm in a face painting business). It felt really good to do it and the kids loved their faces being painted, and it made a good little stash of cash for the charity, too.

I won't be doing that this year because I'm trying to cut down on exposure to the public while pregnant and during the flu season.

Didnt think of that, I suppose I could go and hand out bacon sarnies again in town for half hour or so. lol

Polo Princess - Its definately rewarding, cant seem to find a directory or soup kitchens anywhere though thought it would have been a lot easier to find to be honest. xx

It really is. I loved the feeling of giving something to those in need as I really feel that's a wonderful way to enjoy the spirit of Christmas even more. I will probably just donate some money to charities here and there instead of doing something directly this year, but I will do face painting or other things again in the future.

If you go to your local volunteer bureau they will be able to put you in touch with organizations relevant to what you want to do.

I do volunteering with the wildlife trust in general but nothing special for Christmas. With three sets of families to visit in three different parts of the country we have always been too busy at Christmas.

I just remembered that I usually do the Polar Bear Dip on New Year's which raises money for a local hospital. And we contribute to the Food Bank, though we don't volunteer.

Not specifically doing anything, but this year rather than send Xmas cards I'm going to donate a good chunk of money to a chosen charity.

Hi EternalRose, I see you're in London, have you heard of Crisis??

They open up 7 shelters over christmas and are always desperate for volunteers. You can do one shift or the entire week, and do anything from being a general vol, to helping in the kitchens, etc.

This is my 5th year volunteering with crisis but as i'm in the first trimester and a bit scared of catching any bugs, I'm working in the operations centre instead of the general shelters this year.

Check them out! It's soooooooo rewarding. xx

Can I ask how you did this? My friends mum has tried 3 different places to volunteer on xmas day and they've all said no to her (we are near Ipswich). She then asked if she could have people to dinner at her house, trying to think of other ways to help and she was told yes, but you have to go out and find your own homeless people!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->