Anyone here have a master's degree/in graduate school?

aliss

Reaction score
Okay tell me the honest truth- how bad is it? I'm looking at pursuing my MA in TESOL (teaching English as a second language) but obviously now I've got my LO! I am not interested in putting a baby into full-time daycare (a few days a week is okay) although I am open to a home nanny. Did anyone do it part-time or are doing it part-time and can offer advice?

Hey Aliss, I did my MA full-time pre-baby but there were a few part-time students who managed it with full-time work. Their classes tended to be in the evening with maybe one or two exceptions and most universities have a nursery.

I'm due to start my PhD next month and I think once we move house (hopefully in the next few months), we won't be putting T back in nursery so I'll be doing PhD part-time and being mum full-time. As far as I can gather from reading other sites it's like most things - do-able if you are super organised and disciplined. But I figure if people can work 40 hours a week and then study the evenings and weekends then HOPEFULLY so can I.

Do you have family / partner support?

I have a Masters degree, I got it before Hannah came along.

Honestly before 1 year of age I don't think I could have managed it, now though it would be hard but definitely doable. I would recommend against going full time right away, in fact I'd probably start with one class to see what the workload is like and if that goes okay add another class.

My major was history though and there was tons of reading involved, I had at least one book per week per class to read and one paper to write so it was pretty hectic when I was full time!

AWESOME THREAD! I'm looking to do my LLM this fall on part time basis and will avidly be waching this thread to get an idea of how challenging it is!

I have a masters I did pre-baby and am back in school now working on another masters.
The pre-baby program I don't think I could have done with a LO under a year old without her being in childcare at least part time, but one of my classmates had a baby and went back to school the same week! She managed to find time somehow. I think her husband was also in school though and they were able to divide up the childcare hours.

I've just gone back to school now (1 class only) and my LO is 5 months and I'm feeling busier, but like it is very manageable. I have a nanny to cover the 4 hours a week I'm in class. In the fall when LO is a year she'll need 20 hours a week of care so I can be more fully part-time.

It is definitely do-able, especially if your program offers evening and weekend classes, just expect to be tired. If there is a part time option, that is probably a better way to start while you see how it goes.

I'm doing my masters at the moment, part time, lo is 10 months. Had an assignment due in when he was 5 weeks, that was hard! I've found it ok, just tried to keep reading regularly, making notes as I go as this is the part I find most time consuming. Start back at work full time next week though so worrying about how I'll find the time now!
Good luck!

I was doing my MA thesis when I realized I was 2 months preggy, I stop, can't take the risk of stress miscarriage, now LO at 11 months, still no plans of resuming my book, can't imagine leavin' him. I'm just sooo inlove with my bubba now, maybe after two years, so sorry Aliss, no advice here, dont wanna read n run, as i've felt ur case! :>

did an MSc before I had LO. It was full time study with a lot of extra work each evening and at weekends so I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it with a LO. I think it would have been doable part time if LO was over a year or so and at nursery a couple of days a week. I think it would be very hard work but acheivable if you're determined to do it. Best of luck with your studies

I did my MA part time, having had LO during the second year. She was 7 months old when I finished. It was a lot of late nights but not too overwhelming. My hubby is really good- taking the LO for a bit so I could get something done, and bring her back for a BF. That's all I had for family support though.

The hardest part wasn't physically getting assignments completed, but getting my brain to function well. The tiredness seemed to make my brain work slower than normal which was a bit frustrating.

The uni was really supportive and flexible too, which is definitely something to check out.

I did mine long time back (2004-2005). I had a friend who was pregnant, had 4 kids (17,15,9 & 3 years old) & worked full time & she managed to do her Master degree (part time).

not ny masters, but i am working on my bachelor of business part time .. find it reaaly hard with LO . I do think it will be easier once (if) he's going to bed earlier, so I can have a couple hours to myself in the evening to do some work

I did my masters part time pre-baby whilst i worked and it was definately do-able. I did my doctorate full time and this would not be so do-able (although it was a clinical doctorate not a phd so lots of patient time involved). I think as long as your lo sleeps well (which i know is an issue for you) and you get some time in the evening you would be fine but it very much depends on how you work/what kind if person you are! I think i could handle a masters again now if i really wanted to and my lo is only just coming up for 6 months.

I am (possibly, hopefully, maybe) going to do MSc Social Work from October. My LO will be 18 months old. It will be a struggle as the closest uni is 50-60 miles away (mostly motorway and a good rail link as well, so not too bad) which will be 60-90 minutes commuting each way (with a bus journey on the end if I train it in). If I then, as I plan to, work a couple of evenings a week, I think it will be tough. However, I have commuted before and worked nearly full time throughout my undergrad degree, so my added pressure now is my baby, so I will need good childcare.

I am interested to read other replies as well so I like this thread. I think the hardest part will be on my couple of days off a week when I am trying to work and can't justify placing her in childcare and she is wanting my attention. Also placements will be half to three quarters of the year, full time, and we cannot afford f/t childcare on my bursary alone, so it relies on our families pulling together to help.

I have to do it this year, though, as from next year the fee system in this country is changing and the NHS may not be funding univeristy places 100%. I cannot afford to foot the shortfall of the 9k a year fees, and I can't get financial assistance in the form of student loans as I already have a degree and postgrad.

Phew. Anyway, the long and short of it is I have not been there, but do plan to do my MSc this year.

I think it depends on more factors than the workload of the course. Will there be placements? Do you have family/friends around to support you? Will you have a long way to commute to your course? Will it be financially viable? My mum did a degree and PGCE (which is very very intense) with 3 children under 6, and she was a single mum, but she had help from my grandparents. She was skint though! I read a thread on netmums not long ago, where a lady was doing the course I plan to do, was working part time and had 4 children with the youngest being 18 months old! She was close to the end of the course and had passed everything thus far.

I agree with a PP about getting your brain to work, honestly after having 2 children I find my intellectual abilities have been buried under piles of nursery rhymes and the like. Even things I used to consider easy peasy now baffle me and sometimes I feel like "who am I kidding"

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to wait instead, until I am done with the babies and they are school age. I also have an important hobby (well, important to me) which is weightlifting and I don't want to have to give that up. Of course with babies and school, it would always come 3rd, and I'm not ready for that yet.

My MA TESOL would be a ton of practical work (some streams don't even have a thesis, there's a coursework teaching option) and since I'll be out of teaching for a few yeares (never got into it lol, got pregnant) it would be quite overwhelming.

Thanks!!!

My OH did his masters in business at Imperial College London last year through my pregnancy...it was a NIGHTMARE! All his time was consumed by it, and through the summer he literally woke up and spent 14 hours working on his sodding dissertation before going to bed EVERYDAY. Ughhh...it caused alot of arguments :haha:
So from that, all I can say is a Masters is very time consuming...I wouldn't have any idea how to balance it with being a mum! I don't know if that was just because it was Imperial and maybe other uni's aren't uite as demanding or not though...I haven't a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->