Anyone in Bristol area who's DH has had SA?

Lyns

Mama to two <3
Reaction score
DH had his appointment this morning supposedly for SA, but as he's military he's found out that he now needs to be referred into the NHS, and as his unit is based near Bristol - it will be the Bristol NHS he has to go through.

Problem is, we've been told that unlike our home area (North Wales), which you pretty much swing by the unit when you are ready with a docs letter and sample, you need to wait for them to contact you with an appointment, which can take up to 3 months :shock: and for us that is also a severe issue as hubby remote works and travels a lot and is only in Bristol 2 days a fortnight. He doesn't get to plan his days in and isn't really up for explaining to his superiors that he has this particular test planned.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the Bristol NHS system for SA, whether you found the system to be of this style (its entirely possible the stupid military doc has his underpants in a twist - they aren't the most switched on of creatures) and how long it took?

Has anyone ever waited 3 months for SA?

I'm wondering now if its worth going private?

Thanks....appreciate any info :hugs:xx

Hey Lyns

I don't live in Bristol so feel free to ignore me, but we got referred through NHS from our GP and DH was given paperwork then and there and a little jar - told to do it at home and take it into the hopsital within 1 hour of ejactulation - results came back within 5 days?

Might be worth contacting the PCT for Bristol and asking them? I'm sure they would be happy to help you out hun - good luck x

Hey Lyns

I don't live in Bristol so feel free to ignore me, but we got referred through NHS from our GP and DH was given paperwork then and there and a little jar - told to do it at home and take it into the hopsital within 1 hour of ejactulation - results came back within 5 days?

Might be worth contacting the PCT for Bristol and asking them? I'm sure they would be happy to help you out hun - good luck x

Now you see, thats how they do it in North Wales, and I know in Surrey where we previously lived. And what a sensible system it is!

I'm happy to go in all guns blazing and sort this out, but I just wanted to know first if anyone else had any experience of the Bristol area, then I'm 'informed' so to speak!

Thanks hun x

Ah see Surrey is all good! he he
If you didn't want to wait i believe it's about £60 to do it privately. There are a list of clinics in the LTTTC forum at the top that might be able to help you out.
Hope it's not a long wait for you guys x

Well it is amazing what we women can acheive if we put our mind to it!

I rang North Bristol NHS and it is in fact true that they have outsourced their SA to a private reproductive company, and for NHS referral at the moment it takes 2-3 months after receipt of a docs letter!

But, a bit of nice talking with the lady on the end of the phone and my DH has an appointment next time he is in Bristol in 10 days time for his SA! She slid him nicely into a cancellation, that they normally don't do (I think they save them for private patients) and as long as his doc has the letter in by then - we're away!

Hubby thinks I'm pulling his plonker and must have paid for him to go private but I didn't!

I feel pretty proud of myself for not just sitting back and accepting what the docs say! Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->