Anyone into unusual names?

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
So if my husband and I are ever lucky enough to have another child, I have said I would like to choose a more unusual name this time. I have always wanted to name a child something more unusual but he prefers 'normal' names.
He initially agreed if we ever had another girl I could choose the name and if we had a boy he would choose the name.
I'm into mythology, angel names, goddesses stuff like this. We seem (I don't know how) to be in some agreement with a boy's name being possibly Cassiel, which is an angel, meaning speed of God.
I like many girl names (they always seem to be easier for me to choose, I don't know why), but I love Eurus, meaning God of the east wind. I first heard the name in Sherlock, as Sherlock's sister who is one of my favourite characters. Anyway, husband says she would be called anus instead :growlmad: lol
Anyway, anyone else have a taste for the more unusual?

I really love unusual names. I’m really struggling to find names that I like for the little bean I’m growing at the moment! I like nature inspired names, mythological ones that sort of stuff. When I was young I vaguely knew this gorgeous little girl - I really thought she was a fairy she was so tiny and perfect with this halo of hair - I always loved her name - Isis. I was set on it, and then obviously the terrorist group ruined that! And then in my teens I fell in love with the name Auri - it means golden in Latin and is a character in one of my favourite books - I thought it was lovely, and then the other night round my parents house I said I liked it and my dad went - won’t people think of it like oral!!! And then my husband piped up with whorey Auri!! So that’s off the list!! Honestly it was so funny/disturbing/awful all at the same time but that name is ruined for me now!
I find boys names really hard to think of - I’m really fussy!

LOL :rofl: they're cruel aren't they? Spoiling our names! I have heard of Isis, it's Egyptian and is the goddess of magic. It is a pretty name but yes, unfortunately the terrorists decided to name themselves after a goddess.
Auri ... it reminds me of the Xbox game I love to play, Ori. I won't be seeing that game in the same light now lol

My husband wanted me to make this post to see who agreed with who on the whole normal vs unusual name thing because the five we have already have all normal names, nothing unusual about them and he thinks having an unusual name will look weird against the other names of our children. I don't agree lol

I prefer classic traditional names but some of my friends like unusual and they've named all of their children unusual names so they all 'go'
I dont think I'd go with a totally out there name if the rest of the children's names are 'normal ' but that's just me. What's most important is that you name baby something you both love.

I’m not sure about mixing it up really - it depends how ‘normal’ they are. I’d say something like Ethan is normal, but not mainstream if that makes sense, so then you could get away with it. Saying that, we know a jack with a sibling called Ophelia. I think Cassiel is nice, and once you know a name, you get used to it and it becomes your normal, which makes them go together, but you can tell if it fits with the others or not. I do think sometimes you can tell when a family has split up, then had new kids as the names change ‘theme’. it really depends on the names.

Not me..but my husband! He wants to name our son Artemus, or Guiya.

I'm liking names like Theo, and Jude.

We will never agree :haha:

Ooo good to see a husband liking the unusual!

I'm more a not bothered person if things don't go together, it doesn't bother me.
The children's names are pretty normal really, I wanted DS2 to have my husband's name, with DD we couldn't decide between Amy and Lily, but eventually decided on Amy. I think DSD's name isn't unusual but isn't as common as many other names. Eldest wasn't a common name at the time but is these days. DSS has a commonly used name too.
I don't want to name a child The Hulk or anything lol but I'm a fairly spiritual person and would like to choose a name along those lines which is more unusual. It's just finding names husband likes, or brainwashing him in his sleep so he likes what I like lol

Not so unusual but I do like Cooper, Porter, Quinn, Kairi and Odin. But I really do like Biblical and traditional names myself. We have been hearing a lot since DS4 was born that we have thrown a spanner in the works because we've gone against what everyone was expecting by naming baby Jackson. Turns out Jackson is Biblical but it's kind of modern too damn it. :haha:

Partner like Altair (Assassin Creed) and it's actually Hebrew for Bird of Prey or something of the sorts. I love it but it would never be said right which is the only reason I wouldn't agree to it. :(

I didn't know Jackson was a biblical name. I like Altair too, but I don't know if I'm saying it right in my mind ... I think Cooper and Porter are quite popular, but I haven't heard of the others, good names all of them though :)

I like the more boring/traditional names, but my other half loves the more 'out there' names. His name ideas for #1 were Kronos and Laundro (as in laundromat, because we walked past one). For #2 he wanted Athena.

Good luck convincing him!

I personally am thrown off if one child in a family has a more unusual name, but it's your family so you do you is what I say!

I like less trendy names (mostly brainwashed by my mother who is a teacher so says don't have a name where there will be 3 of them in the class of 25) but DH is way more traditional. He and his brothers all have names that have been in the top 25 in the U.S. for like 100 years, lol!

I love unusual names. I've been stalking this board for a while now, trying to find a boy name I like. For boys, I'm leaning towards biblical names, which my DH doesn't like so much.

If our first was a boy, we would have went with Jude, but now, my DH doesn't like it anymore.

LOL minties, that's hilarious. My husband has a friend who's daughter is called Athena ... I can't remember her other children's names but I know one is called Phoenix.

I find it funny when you Google 'unusual names' you always seem to end up with all the popular names, or names celebrities have called their children

I like original names! I am not very creative at coming up with names myself, but when I hear a name that I've never heard before, I usually end up thinking it is pretty! I recently heard the name Adair for a little boy and I thought that was kinda neat. I think the meaning was supposed "from the oak tree ford."

That being said, I think our baby will probably have a more traditional name. I think my husband would worry to much about him or her being teased in school!

This is what my husband thinks, but I think children can tease others for any reason (they just plain make them up half the time and don't require anything obvious)

My girls' first names are a little uncommon but not unusual. They are Emilia (Emi) and Nina.

Their middle names are a little offbeat, though. They are japanese names (I am Japanese - they are half).

Emilia Hikari and Nina Etsuko

Hikari is Hee-kah-ree and Etsuko is E-tsoo-ko.

I got lucky because we both love unusual names!

Even though I like them, it still took me about 3 days to warm up to my son’s name, Odin, when my husband first brought it up.

Now it’s trying to find something equally awesome for our future baby lol which I am hoping is a girl! I don’t necessarily have to name them something that’s out there.. just something I don’t hear all of the time is nice!

I like some of the names in this thread.. I might have to write them down haha

Amykai, I absolutely love that you have Japanese middle names, I love Japanese names. There's always something kind of magic about them. I also like that you have those names together, they sound really good :)

EMSwife, it must be marital bliss when you both have the same name opinions lol my husband and I could argue about this until the cows come home (not seriously argue). Odin is a cool name :) do you have some ideas for a girl?

I'm hoping we have twins, that way it will be fair if we name one each lol

Ooo I’m jumping in on this to hopefully get some ideas.
Hubby is set on Atticus but I can’t quite wrap my head around that one yet. Hoping for something out there that I love too!

Hmmm ... I haven't heard that name before. But it kind of reminds me of attic? Like 'I'm getting the treeus (Christmas tree) from the atticus'. I have a weird brain.
Did he make it up or is it an actual name? What does it mean? However, I don't allow my husband's opinion of Eurus/ur-anus put me off. I like that Atticus is original

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->