anyone know how to gain experence in nurser/health care with volunteer work?

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by lynne192, May 31, 2011.

1. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

hey all, i need to get some work experence for my course but have to do it through volunteer work? does anyone know if you can like do volunteer work in like a care home or small hospital etc? i have to view health care such as nurses at work? looked online for volunteer work and can't find something suitable?? anyone???

any advice links or such would be fantastic unsure if i should maybe write to care homes to offer my help?

2. lcgoodac

lcgoodac Well-Known Member

Do you know anyone that works as a nurse etc? I am a qualified nurse and to get work experience to get on my nursing course i spent half a day a week on ward. Couldnt do anything apart from interact with patients etc but i was fortunate as i knew the sister of the ward so she managed to get me the experience.

It might be easier to get experience in a nursing home as i know alot of other people who have struggled to gain experience on a ward although alot of hospitals do have volunteers.

Lucy

3. lynne192

thanks for advice not too bothered about the ward or carehome, i sadly don't know anyone who is a nurse or in health care :( i have put ad out to see if anyone will take me and thinking about writing to all the local carehomes?

4. lynne192

anyone else any ideas?

5. superbecks

superbecks Well-Known Member

Ring wherever you want to go and ask them. Most will take volunteers. If you're not bothered about ward or care home what are you thinking of doing?

6. lynne192

i just been a small amount of general care work working with nurses or in a care situation offering support and time, it doesn't have to be great but looks good for uni lol

7. superbecks

I would def ring a local hospital then. What are you applying for at uni?

8. lynne192

doing nursing, so need to have any type of care under the belt to prove i can work in the conditions

9. superbecks

Im just coming to the end of my second year of midwifery. I couldn't get to volunteer on a maternity ward before i applied but i know it does look good on the application.

10. lynne192

thanks for information i need to get 6months experence even if its only a few days volunteer work but wasn't sure where to start thinking i need to write letters to all the different places but unsure how to do about that lol how stupid am i.

11. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Most hospitals have specific people who deal with volunteers. Its quite hard to volunteer on the wards though. Most wards don't have volunteers as it isn't really appropriate but some wards (like stroke wards) do. Obv it wont be any patient care but it'll still be talking to patients and stuff :)

eta - join the nurse bank instead of volunteering. That way you'd get to do proper nursing, and get paid, lol.

eta 2 - oh just seen that it needs to be voluntry? Thats a bit backwards as no volunteering will let you go behind the curtains i dont think :shrug:

12. lynne192

okay thanks my MIL said to write to personal departments at the local hospitals because i will be working for NHS after i get my degree so best to work with places that are worth while instead of offering free worker to private places lol :D

she suggested maybe trying cancer care homes run by charities or such like that....