Anyone know how to get rid of silverfish?

Dream.A.Dream

Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!
Reaction score
There appears to be a lot of these in the bathroom at my OH's. Anyone know how to get rid of them? Will ant spray work? xx

Found this. Hope it helps

Residual insecticides (use an aerosol) will help to control these pests. Removing old papers, boxes, books, and clothes from the attic to basement will help remove food and hiding places. Moth crystals placed in boxes in the attic will also help.

I remember these things in old photo albums at my great nan's house! I dont think ive seen any since.
Um..have you tried cleaning with bleach??

We get them in our downstairs bathroom where the previous guy hasn't done an amazing job of building it! They feed on rotting wood and damp/mould so the only way to really get rid of them is to fix whatevers making the place moist. Spiders eat them apparently so maybe encourage an infestation, hehe.

Eeep, hate spiders. Although would explain the super huge one that almost gave me a heart attack when in the bath the other day!

Urgh i hate them i remember a friend had them in their draws was a form of entertainment... sorry no help :blush:

noooo evil i hate these, we all went home for xmas when i was in my first yr of uni in halls then when we got back we opened the cuttlery draw and there was loooooaaaads in there arghh! lol

We get these in our living room & they drive me mad I kill the little *beeps* by standing on them then moping the floor hate hate hate them :hissy:

Flash spray with lemon works for me :) Its stopped silverfish & spiders appearing in my bath/sink :) & keeps my bathroom fresh :)

Its common name comes from the animal's silvery blue colour, combined with the fish-like appearance of its movements, while the scientific name indicates the silverfish's diet of carbohydrates such as sugar or starches. Silverfishes are also attracted to eating silk, synthetic fabrics and cotton clothing, so they may be crawling around in your clothes in the closet. Silverfishes eat your clothes,and also feeds on our plants. Your plants may not be so beautiful anymore if silverfish homes in their leaves. They will slowly dry and then die.

Terible isn't it?

Wish I'd never read the bit about the clothes... *itchy itchy*

I dont have any info on getting rid of them but just thought i would share my little story!!!

When my step-son was 5 he came running in to the bedroom one morning shouting he had just seen a lizard:shrug: we went to investgate to find it was only a silverfish:haha: i cant look at one now without thinking lizard:haha:

Eeek! I HATE these things :sick: i made a thread about them yesterday

I get them in my bathroom all the time. I just bleach everything! x

I just got all worried then thinking there was an influx of silverfish as this is the 2nd thread about them in 2 days lol then I realised this is from last year but had been updated with some more info lol phewww. Im being extra vigilant now!Cif kitchen spray at the ready lol

I found one of these on my landing not long ago under my wicker washing basket.. hmm ewww!

I have never heard of them till i seen a post on here a few days ago they sound horrible

I've used an aerosol fly spray and sprayed it around the edges of the room and around the bath and anywhere they could get in or be hiding so if they have a nest in there they are killed

This thread is almost a year old. OH hasn't lived there for about 10 months! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"