Anyone know if I'm allowed to use Deep Heat rub?

chetnaz

Have 3 boys + girl on way
Reaction score
I'm in extreme pain today. Think I've got sciatica. I have pain in my upper buttocks/lower back. Paracetamol isn't even touching the pain. The only thing that's helped a bit is heat rub on the area. I didn't think before using it and now I'm worried that it might affect baby. Does anyone know if you're allowed to use it in pregnancy? On the box all it says is consult your doctor before use. The one I've used is Deep Heat (one in red tube).

No honey, you cant use it when pregnant. you have done it once, so dont stress it wont help to worry.

the deep heat penetrates through to the muscle and they cant tell how far in after so you cant use it.

they do a deep freeze gel, doesnt last long, the deep freeze patches last longer, they have been my constant friend these last few months, along with the paracetamol.

consultant told me i could have physio or back massage, massage works a charm every four weeks they recommend.

and of course rest as much as you can. xx

:hugs:

Shit! I've used it three times now :( I spoke to an out of hours doctor this morning and asked him and he said yes, but then he contradicted himself and said but certain things can affect baby, but you can use heat rub! Totally confused me, but I thought if he said yes, it must be ok. It's been niggling at me all day though as he seemed unsure. Wish I never used it now. Should I be worried? Surely three applications won't hurt baby? She's moving so I'm to too worried, but I just hope ive not made things worse by using it.

I've heard the conflicting advice to hun! My pharmacist says yes, but dr says no! It can cross the placenta so I've personally stayed away from it! Id just stay away from now

I was told Deep Freeze yes, Deep heat no. My physio also said adding heat to preggo related sciatica/SPD is like adding fuel to the fire. You need to ice the area and then have a warm bath after the icing if you like. I have found 1/2 cup Epsom salts in the bath an absolute Godsend! :thumbup:

With paracetamol keep taking the 2 tablets every 4 hours and it does get more powerful from the 2nd/3rd dose onwards. If you are in a lot of pain all the time though then maybe get your doctor to OK using some codeine although I hate the way that stuff makes me feel.

My physio also said I could use a TENS machine to relieve my pain but I haven't needed to use it yet.

No- it contains a salicylate which acts like a blood thinner ( definately not recommended in the last trimester)

Instead use a heat pack/ wheat pack/ hot water bottle on the back- I had sciatica, and bought stick on heat patches that last 12 hours, worked a treat as heat relaxes muscles and improves their extensibility.

No- it contains a salicylate which acts like a blood thinner ( definately not recommended in the last trimester)

Instead use a heat pack/ wheat pack/ hot water bottle on the back- I had sciatica, and bought stick on heat patches that last 12 hours, worked a treat as heat relaxes muscles and improves their extensibility.

I have some heat patches at home and they're also the Deep Heat make, does that mean they contain Deep heat in them or would they be safe to use?

I have some heat patches at home and they're also the Deep Heat make, does that mean they contain Deep heat in them or would they be safe to use?

Not if they contain methlysalicylate and there is skin contact with the active ingredient.

There is heat patches you can get- they are stick on and the active ingredient is contained within the patch, and has no skin contact. They work via when you expose the sticky strip, the inside of the patch is exposed to oxygen and a heat "giving" reaction occurs. The brand I used was "Flex eze".

If you can't find anything- try microwaveable heat bag/ hot water bottle.

Not if they contain methlysalicylate and there is skin contact with the active ingredient.

There is heat patches you can get- they are stick on and the active ingredient is contained within the patch, and has no skin contact. They work via when you expose the sticky strip, the inside of the patch is exposed to oxygen and a heat "giving" reaction occurs. The brand I used was "Flex eze".

Thank you Hun, I'll have to go buy some tomorrow. X

Just looked up these "Deep Heat"patches (https://www.mentholatum.com.au/brands/deep-heat/deep-heat-range/deep-heat-patches/)

which might be the same as yours and they appear to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->