Anyone know what a Ovulation Sack is?????

Discussion in 'Long Term Trying To Conceive' started by Killeen_Momma, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Killeen_Momma

Killeen_Momma Well-Known Member

I went for my scan yesturday and the doctor said my ovulation sack looked awsome (his words not mine) and that some area that is suposed to be filled with fluid is filled but I am wondering what all of it means. What is the ovulation sack?

2. Quaver

Quaver TTC #1

Follicles?:shrug:

3. Killeen_Momma

no this was the after ovulation scan to confirm ovulation occured

4. Quaver

Quaver TTC #1

It's not gestational sac?
    That would mean you are pg. If not, a cyst?:shrug:

5. Killeen_Momma

the scan was at 4dpo and he didn't mention a pregnancy and said it was "Awsome" so i doubt it was a cyst so IDK. He told me how good it looked and that the other thing was filled with fluid and then pressed a button to put a square around it then snaped a picture of it (with the scanner) and at that point I was on cloud 9 because it was the 1st time a doctor had told me something "good" about my reproductive system lol

6. Quaver

Quaver TTC #1

My doctor usually put a square around it when he wants to measure things like follicle or a fetus. But at 4DPO, pregnancy is a bit too early.
    I don't know, but if it looks good then great:thumbup:

7. hopedance

hopedance Sam's mum and pregnant

i think he meant the corpus luteum, which is a sac left on the ovary where the egg was released from. if you conceive, then it produces the progesterone to sustain the pregnancy for the first weeks. so a good looking one would indicate a strong pregnancy if you have gotten preg.

8. Killeen_Momma

He said I had ovulated aprox a week before so I was right about when I had ovulated but with it only being 4dpo that day could it still be the corpus luteum thing? If so I am happy to finally know what it is. I got blood work done to check my progesterone and I have to call in the morning to get my results.
    What would be a good level for 7dpo? I will be 7dpo in the morning so just wondering. Can you tell from the level if you have concieved or do I have to wait for the HCG to build up in my system?

9. cottonlily

cottonlily Well-Known Member

I'm confused...because the ovulation scan occurs before ovulation, not after. So you can see you have a follicle but not that ovulation has occured. The way to know ovulation has occured is bloodwork or a 2nd scan showing deflated follicles.

So this a new one on me! I too would have thought he was referring to the follicle which is the sac that holds the ovum. It's filled with fluid which is why you can see a hollow space on the u/s and measure how large it is. I know it ruptures at ovulation though and wouldn't have been full or whatever he said after O.

Very strange...ask him the next time you go back so we all know what he meant :)

10. KittyCat82

KittyCat82 Well-Known Member

Yes, I too would like to know-I thought after OV the follicles broke down so you wouldnt see it on u/s. I think I ov'd earlier this week but my u/s is still showing a large follicle so I am wondering of this is now a cyst :( would be interested to see what this is! x

11. hopedance

hopedance Sam's mum and pregnant

the corpus luteum doesn't break down - at least mine didn't when i was preg, it was seen on my scan when i was 4/5 weeks preg.

12. KittyCat82

KittyCat82 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies-well I went to hospital this am and its gone so it wasnt a cyst afterall, just a large follicle. I think it was about 28mm when I ovulated. I understand that ideal is 20-26mm but clomid can make you produce larger follicles and my FS said she was not concerned in the slightest! She said there was fluid there which apparently you produce after ovulating. Had to have blood tests today and next week. We'll see anyway! let us know how you get on x

13. Killeen_Momma

If AF shows up in the morning then I will call him again and see what it was and ask for my new clomid lol