Anyone know when flu shot season passes???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Freya, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Freya

Freya Toddler and baby

Anyone maybe with medical knowledge here know when the flu jab season finishes, or when they no longer offer it?

I'm choosing not to have it, and hoping the danger period for contracting it in the uk is nearly over! Plus it would be nice to not have to explain myself every midwife contact I have.

Xxc

2. Niamh22

Niamh22 Well-Known Member

I think it will come back again in spring when it starts to warm up again, that is when all the bugs come out i'm not a professional but my mum is and that's what she always says.

3. Freya

Freya Toddler and baby

I'm just not sure, v confusing. last year a friend fell pregnant in jan and she wasn't offered it at her first midwife appointment which may been feb or march. But then they might be doing things differently this year?? Xxx

4. Ew68j5

Ew68j5 Well-Known Member

I dont think the flu season ever really finishes....particularly the risk of pandemic flu (eg swine flu). Seasonal flu is less common after april(ish), thats influenza A and B, the swine flu risk will always be there, particularly if you are pregnant.

5. Flump17 08 11

Flump17 08 11 Well-Known Member

Hi

My doctor will only let me have this after I am 12 weeks, not sure why but I was thinking the same. I am 12 weeks tomorrow and wondering if I should have it or not. I can only have last years swine flu jabs as well since they have ran out of the combined. Are these safe for little bubbas ?

xxxx

6. hayley x

hayley x 1AngelSon,1EarthDaughter

I didnt havent it last pregnancy and wasnt offered at all! x

7. SullenGrl

SullenGrl Well-Known Member

I was pregnant this time last year and was never offered the flu or swine flu jab. Very strange, eh??

8. Ouverture

Ouverture Well-Known Member

I know in the U.S. it's from October to April, but they say too that you're better off getting it early in the season.

I didn't get it/don't plan on it either (I don't believe in extra interventions like that during pregnancy). My OB was not thrilled when I turned it down but it's a personal choice - my body, my baby. :) Stand firm in your decision if that's what you believe!

9. magicbubble

magicbubble Well-Known Member

when i went for it a few weeks ago the doctor said you wouldnt normally be offered it till 2nd trimester. my 2nd trimester starts towards the end of february which he said would be about the time when i would need it less. so he gave me it anyway - that was in december.

hope that helps x

10. charlotte88

charlotte88 Guest

i had mine at 8 weeks and felt no ill effects of it so i would say it is deffinatly worth having because it is better to be safe then sorry especially seeing as swine flu seems to be making an apperence again.
    we have had 4 people have it in my company the last month so im very glad i got mine :).
    I didnt get offered it, i requested it so ring your doctor and get it :)

xxx

11. Freya

Freya Toddler and baby

SUllengirl: VERY strange. Wish they wouldn't keep going on about it now. WOnder if your new pregnancy will be different and keep offering it to you!

Ouverture: it's not something I'm wanting to go for either. Staying strong, and am hoping the 'season' passses where they will stop badgering me.

xxx

12. K4tiemay

K4tiemay Well-Known Member

My GP insisted it was procedure to do it straight away now and jabbed me there and then when I reported my pregnancy. In hindsight I'm glad because I didn't have chance to think about it.
    I would think that we should all have it, but I can understand why some of you might want to wait until 2nd trimester. I know it's a little dramatic, but women have already died in the UK this year after contracting swine flu during pregnancy. We'll be no good to our babies dead!

13. Bumpontherun

Bumpontherun Well-Known Member

Weird how much it varies from area to area. My midwife mentioned it as I was walking out the door, GP didn't mention it at all. My GP surgery is a disaster so I got it through work (I work in a hospital). If you don't want it I think you just have to stay strong, I guess they will stop offering it in the spring but I'm really not sure.