Anyone NOT attend anti natal classes?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by jojo2605, Aug 24, 2009.

1. jojo2605

jojo2605 Mom to Sam & Dylan

Will I regret it do you think? its too late now even if i had changed my mind but i was just wondering how many people have not actually been to any like me?

2. DizzyMoo

DizzyMoo Guest

hun do you mean the sessions where lots of pregnant ladies get together & learn how to " breath" if so i didn't bother with them when i was preg with josh & i'm not bothering now either, I really don't see how they can help at all , You can learn what you need to know online & here & through others, & besides when your in labour you tend to just go with the flow .

3. letia659

letia659 mom to Jacob and Zander!

I never attended any classes with my son and dont intend to this time. wouldnt make any difference to me as I had my son just fine without taking a class :)

4. jojo2605

haha thanks hun (welcome by the way!) that's exactly what i wanted to hear and the reason why i haven't done anythin up until now, but as i'm 38 weeks i'm suddenly thinking about labour a hell of a lot more and wondering if they would have been beneficial. you reassured me thank you :hugs:

5. jojo2605

Thanks Letia :) :)

6. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

depends what classes you mean, i didn't go to any of them last time around due to work commitments, this time around the midwife assumed i went and said because my wee girl was only just turned 3 there was no need for me to go lol, i wouldnt of anyway. I think i did and still am doing a good job, but i have a good family unit always ready to give me advice, especially my mum xx

7. Nickij

Nickij Mum of 2

the main reason I am attending them is that I am hoping to meet some other mums in my area as I don't really know anyone. We are just going to the NHS ones - the NCt ones were all fully booked by the time we looked (22 weeks ish).

As far as I am concerned with the rest of it, the baby is coming out one way or another- and therefore I am not sure how much help the actual classes will be......

8. DizzyMoo

DizzyMoo Guest

ha just being honest though hun, the midwives tell you exactly what to do & you are free to change your birth plan whenever , providing you dont have epidural & are ok to move then get up & walk if you feel like it hun. With my labour with josh i watched corry & emmerdale & then got the music cd on which i'd taken with me. I told the midwife when i felt like pushing & believe me hun you suddenly get this overwhelming feeling & urge to push & in a way nothing you can do to stop it you just have to, The midwives said go for it & they guide you through it. I don't need nobody else telling me this in a group therapy type session lol I guess the session may be more an insight for the male partner or the birth partner if they had never been through it before.
    Honestly though dont feel like you missed out or wont have the labour you want just because you didnt sit in a room full of pregnant ladies all going " breath in ----& out " pmsl

9. jayne191284

jayne191284 Mum to Oliver and bump2

Ive not booked any. I figure that it will happen as it happens. Classes cant really teach me things that WILL come naturally

x

10. Pixie M

Pixie M Mummy to 1

I did go to the NCT classes and they were quite informative. BUT my main reason for wanting to go was to meet other mums in my area. I live in a small village and don't know many people around here, neither mine nor OH's family live locally, and didn't know any other soon-to-be mums until I took the class. I had visions of myself going stir crazy stuck in our house all day every day for a year with a screaming ankle biter!
    I'm glad I took the class, if for no other reason than to meet some other people.

11. Rees

Rees Mummy and Pregnant

i went to the 2 nhs classes and really wished i hadn't

i'd not learnt anything new that i didn't, wasted 2 hours on both weeks when i'd already found out all i wanted to know either through books, google or through the girlies on here

funniest thing was i was expecting the breathing exerices etc... and positions for birth - were we told anything?? nope!

the 3rd class was meant to be a baby care class set up by the people who work in the children's centre here, and they were ill, so they set us another date which we had to ring to book places on, i couldn't be arsed after the antenatal classes so i gave up, and then they rang me to tell me that they were cancelled again anyway!

still waiting for the 2 workers to not be sick to find out if they're actually going to be on before my baby comes - not that i have the energy to walk there and back now anyway!

12. tracie107

tracie107 My darling boys

With my 1st, hubby and I attended the NHS anti natal classes at the hospital and when someone asked the question "will it hurt" (sorry but what a question to ask) hubby and I just left as we knew it would be a complete waste of time.

Anyway didn't go to anymore thereafter and haven't gone to any with my 2nd.

13. danni1979

danni1979 Well-Known Member

Heya hun

I was in 2 minds whether to go and i did go in the end,and for me they were a waste of time,it didnt tell me anything i didnt know tbh,poor old OH whos quiteclued up about biolgy n stuf was bored sh**less,it kinda felt like being at school again...ie
    heres a piccie of a nursery with a baby in it,whats wrong with the pic!! n it was things like,cot next to radiator,baby sleeping with hat on..
    Oh n i was never taught the breathing or anything

Most of what they teach you is basic common sense tbh hunni.

D
    xx xx

14. jojo2605

Seems like although some people have found them useful that they aren't a necessity which is good!! i think when the time comes as people have said, things will just happen as they happen anyway!! my midwife hasn't even mentioned anything about them anyway, she's bloomin' hopeless!

15. jojo2605

that's really good to know Danni; I'm not even slightly concerned about after care for baby, having 3 much younger siblings i have lots and lots of experience of babies so if thats the sort of thing they cover then it's something i can do without!! and if they don't often cover the breathing which a couple of people have said, then that's the main sort of thing i'd have gone for anyway!

16. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

I havent booked any.
    I went to NHS run ones when I had my son in 2001 and they were rubbish. They barely covered anything about labour apart from what drugs we could have, and I learnt nothing. I just read as many magazines as I could, and spent ages watching "From here to maternity" and "portland babies" etc on discovery home and health, and thats where I got most of my knowledge from!!

17. xelatib

xelatib Mom of 3 boys!

I didn't go. My MD said unless I wanted to learn techniques to avoid using pain meds, not to bother. I knew I would be perfectly happy to get an epidural :)

18. Fern.x

Fern.x Guest

I didnt attend mine either.. u kind of just know how to breath in labour everybodys labour is different anyway so dont think it matters to much if you are worried about it though have a look online i see what kind of things you could find about labour ie breathing, positions good luck :) x

19. philly_bear24

philly_bear24 Mummy to Imogen

I didn't go, partly cos my midwife is totally useless and didn't tell me until I couldn't get on them anymore! I don't think they're necessary to be honest but would probably be good to go to if you had questions you wanted to ask etc. Well atleast I hope they're not necessary...otherwise I'm screwed haha!

20. Neferet

Neferet Mummy to Ikey!

I haven't booked any... No real reason why though!