Anyone not bf in public? *sorry if repeat thread*

D

DizzyMoo

Hi ladies, I bf my 1st exclusively til he was around 6mth where i slowly (no rushing or pushing) introduced bits of food, eventually turned to just bf at nights til he was 11mth old where i finally stopped. I never bf in public other than in front of my mum, i have a problem in doing so.
My 2nd is due in november & i'm just starting to think about feeding, I'll prob give the breastfeeding a go again & see how we go.

Is there any of you who breastfed/feeding who do not bf in public?
I feel very uncomfy in doing so & i'm getting a little fed up of people telling me to just do it & then i'll be fine, Is there anything wrong with not wanting to feed in public?
Do you think i'm daft for feeling uncomfy with it?
Does anyone else here feel the same?

thanks ladies xx

You're not alone :hugs: I don't feed in public. I did try to but for various reasons didn't like it. If i needed to breastfeed in a public place i used to go to a large clean bathroom or something, okay it wasn't the best or most comfortable but i felt better for it.

I thought I'd never, ever feed in front of anyone...let alone in public but I did once my eldest child was established. I'm very discreet and never show any breast, if you had to wap the lot out to feed then no I wouldn't feed in public but I just pull my t-shirt up to the required place and then pull it down to baby's nose so never expose myself. I also have a muslin to hand just in case baby decides to cough, choke, be nosey etc:dohh:

I wouldn't go in a toilet to feed or a baby change (coz it stinks of mingin nappy bins), I do go in the feeding rooms if in the Trafford Centre as it's quieter and more comfy than a bench:thumbup:

Yea if i could find a feeding room i would go in there. I've done it in the car before now! It's not all well served where i live for breastfeeding :dohh:

Im not a huge fan of it, but I do if need be. But now because Noah feeds every 2.5-3 hours I can plan around it a bit more. So either I only go out for a couple of hours, or I use Mum and baby rooms, or in my car. If going out with friends I usually ask if we can stay at theirs for a bit till Noah has his feed and then we go out. But when he was little I did just feed him where ever he needed it otherwise we never would have gone out. Boy am I glad that phase is over with lol xxx

I don't, I really wanted too but could not pluck the courage up, the car was the closest to public I could manage. Most of the time I we go out in between feeds but if it does clash I use cartons of forumla.

Thanks ladies, i'm glad i'm not actually alone here. I have no problem what so ever with others bf in front of me which puzzles me why i find it a problem to do the same.

Do you think this is because i'm the only one in my fam & friends who has ever bf?

I won't bf in a public toilet, & i always knew when he was ready for a feed so made sure i was in a shop i could feed in when he would be ready. I felt so much more comfortable in private than having people walking past me or staring or whatever, Its a private thing to me i guess .

lol i feel stupid for saying bathroom now :dohh: i meant like theres a childs toy store near me and it's got a baby change and a proper nursing chair in it. I almost always made a beeline for that or debenhams (where i was referring to) as they have a family room, ok it has a toilet and a changing table but right at the other side a chair i could feed in. I was lucky in that my daughter would easily go 4 hours without demanding a feed so was able to work round her a lot.

I don't have the guts to do it in public. I wish I did though cos I have to time outings between feeds and can't stay out for too long which is a right pain and if I am going to visit someone, I have to make sure that I arrange it for a time straight after he has been fed which can be difficult when planning in advance.

I feel stupid for not doing it in public, if my baby is hungry, I should be able to feed him but I think I'm too nervous about flashing my boobs to the world!

I don't plan trips round baby, or should i say i didn't. I went out & when i knew it was coming to a feed time i made sure i was in a shop i could feed, So be it m & s, elc or mothercare etc , Then if i was 20 mins early & he was whinging for a feed i'd just feed him anyway whilst i had the chance, The one thing i hate is when your child suddenly demands a feed & you are waiting for some privacy, Maybe this is why i should do it in public but i really can't. Even in mothercare i wouldn't do it infront of people .

I did it for the first time last week in a pub garden - I tied a muslin cloth to my bra and did it behind that. It was tricky! I noticed people kept looking as if they were just waiting to see something and be outraged!

I have NO problems with anyone doing it and I intend to do it but i am VERY prudish and intend to take a light summery shawl with me everywhere I go! I have had mothers feed in front of me like this whist growing up and think its great.

I would HATE to expose any part of my boob :shock: because I'm like that :blush: but at the same time I would hope that I don't fail to go out or cater to my baby as I think society needs to accept that women's boobs are for feeding babies :cloud9:

These are all plans of course. I've never had a baby before so it could all go out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->