Anyone not breast feeding??

I don't think anyone was trying to judge you.

Just as you find BF'ing unnatural I find it to be the opposite - the most natural thing in the world. However, I was unable to do it and don't think every baby finds it so natural or else they would all latch on perfectly.

I still stand by my opinion that I don't understand why everyone wouldn't at least give their baby colostrum (even by expressing) as it is only for a few days and gives the baby a great start.

Thanks moonmelody , I agree I do like a good debate
I think I felt a little hurt people were judging and even laughing at my reasons more than anything
x

Laughing is unkind. I would feel hurt by that, too. I think it was people not curbing their reactions to you saying that you find a natural bodily function unnatural.

I'm very, very sorry that you feel so uncomfortable with breastfeeding. I don't think you're selfish or stupid. It's simply that I wish all women and their babies could reap the benefits of breastfeeding, including you. All of our babies deserve the best. I'm sure things will work out wonderfully for you and your little one no matter what happens.

Oo no, i'm definately breastfeeding! I can't wait! I just hope, hope, hope I can. I will prob express too so I can go out for more than a few hours and leave LO with oh! I don't understand why anyone would want to feed formula personally, to me no reason ever given for it makes sense, but each to their own and I don't understand why this topic always becomes such a heated one.

I got told the other day I thought I was middle class for wanting to breastfeed! Then in the next sentence got told more or less that I thought I was better than those that bottle feed, urm, random!

It's just one of those choices in life isn't it :flower: I don't think we'll really know what to do until or feel 100% happy in our decision until (our first) LO's come along xx

Before I was a mother I hated anything to do with my breasts. I think they're horrible things; I hate anyone touching them, hate looking at them, hate everything about them. I hate them being touched in a sexual way, and I hated the idea of a baby sucking on them. Even if it was for milk.

My MIL is a retired MW, so obviously she knows a lot about BF and the benefits for the baby (and mother, which I didn't realise). My OH respected my views, but tried to remind me that it was better for the baby etc etc. Eventually I agreed that I would give the baby colostrum, because that's the most important part. After that, I would see how it went, but not make any promises.

When I reached the end of my pg, I was certain I would give it my best shot, and I would try BFing no matter what I felt about it. My LO didn't latch properly and I never had much milk, so it all went a bit tits up - sorry :haha: This time around I'm going to work even harder at trying to BF. Harder than ever.

I can understand that people may not want to BF because of their feelings about their breasts etc, because I used to be like that. Now here's the part you're all going to hate me for; I don't understand how someone can know about the benefits of colostrum to the baby, and still not want to give it. I don't want to be rude, but I think it's selfish to refuse point blank without even trying, because it's scientifically proven that it's good for the baby; formula can't give the antibodies etc that colostrum can - yet some people don't want to provide that, when it's free and available "on tap"

I'm not having a go. To be honest, I don't care how you choose to bring up your child. It's your child; not mine. Just like you really have no say how I bring up mine. I don't judge anyone for choosing bottle over breast; hell, I bottlefed my daughter, and I got a lot of evil stares, but people don't know my reasons for it. Essentially, I used to be you. I used to hate the idea of BF, and swore I wouldn't do it. I was being selfish, and I can admit that. If you'd asked me to be honest at the time, I would have admitted it was for selfish reasons. But when I learned about colostrum etc, that was enough to make me get over my ideas and put it all aside for the health of my baby. If I can give her even a molecule of something that will boost her health, then I will try anything. She's my baby :shrug:

listen cause this is the best bit of parenting advice anyone will ever give you-

do what you feel is best, do what comes natural to you and leaves you least stressed, a stressy unhappy with her choices feeling like shes being judged mum is a bad one, a relaxed, happy with her own decision feeling controlled mummy is a good one. No matter what you do someone will be judging you somewhere along the line and your job isnt to please other women, its to make sure your baby is fed and looked after.

personally im a breastfeeder because that suits me, if i want to give a formula i will- i dont get all this ridgidity!!! im breastfeeding because its free and i cant be arsed with sterilising. (lazy mare, i am!) but thats my decision and as long as im happy with it i couldnt give a flying you know what about what anyone else considers my decision to be.

stand proud hun!

Thanks moonmelody , I agree I do like a good debate
I think I felt a little hurt people were judging and even laughing at my reasons more than anything
x

:blush:
I can see that posting my original reaction was hurtful :flower:

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583