Anyone not had GD at 28 weeks, but then developed it?

Jennifaerie

Mummy to 1, baking #2
Reaction score
LO has been measuring spot on all the way through my pregnancy, until last week when she was measuring 35.5 at 34 weeks. I've been measured today and she's now measuring 37 at 34.5 weeks. They tested my urine and it was +ve for glucose so I now need another GTT tomorrow.

Has anyone not had it at 28 weeks and then developed it later? Would I not have noticed if I had GD?

I also have some uterine irritability which they think is a result of LO growing so quickly, they said if my braxton hicks do turn into preterm labour they will give me steroids but won't stop her coming, and that if I do have GD she might need to go to NICU to get some help with her blood sugar.

I had my urine tested on Saturday about an hour after a chocolate bar and there no sugar in it, and yet today there was a lot and all I had eaten was a ryvita and philadelphia - what do you recommend I eat JIC?

I will also post this in the complications section

Thanks in advance x

I don't know but i'll be watching this thread - I was measuring 26 at 24 weeks, 29 at 27 weeks and then 36 at 30 weeks. I also had glucose in my last urine test, however i haven't been sent for a GTT, i am getting a growth scan at 38 weeks which seems ages away but i think thats because my son had a shoulder dystocia.
xx

I had a growth scan last week and have another next week as the curve is quite steep - I'm worried she's going to be poorly if I have got it

Has your midwife or consultant mentioned anything to you about what will happen if you do? It could be that you can control it completely with diet but i would imagine GD would show some symptoms?

xx

She mentioned diet and a possible induction if I do have it. LO was measuring the equivalent of 7.5lbs today :( she was in normal range 3 weeks ago

That is quite a big jump - Diabetic women have babies regularly with no problems and the same goes for GD, i think as long as they are prepared and check the babies blood sugar when it's born things will be fine - you may have to feed baby more regularly to begin with to maintain sugar levels not sure apart from that.

Good luck hun x

Thanks, it's tricky because I've been looking at the diet stuff and I eat the right things for if I did have GD. Usually porridge and raisins or egg on wholemeal toast for breakfast, then jacket potato with beans or similar for lunch and chicken with rice for tea. Fruit with yoghurt and ryvita with philadelphia inbetween

Maybe you will need some sort of medication then - or it could be that you are having a naturally large baby and the urine test was a one off with glucose in it?

xx

Hope so xx thanks hun, just feeling a bit rubbish about it lol

ladies, again (just replied to the other thread), GD can be really bad for baby if untreated, please get yourselves checked. The urine strips are useless (because once they show something the blood glucose is way too high already), and you won't have any symptoms for yourself. Diet can regulate it but that depends on the level of your glucose intolerance, if its severe you would have to starve yourself in order to keep the levels down which also is not good. In this case you would need insulin.

I've just been briefed about all this this morning. Luckily i ended up at a competent diabetologist who just came back from a conference about GD.

My boy is measuring big too and I had my glucose screen and I passed with flying colors. The midwives told me that I was measuring large because of baby's position (I'm carrying high) and when he drops I should be right on target for growth.

Hi hun

I had GD in my first pregnancy and cut out all sugars. This pregnancy I passed my GD test at 28 weeks but bubs is measuring big at about 9.5lbs so doc suspects i may have it again... i am also not sure why it was not picked up at 28 weeks but now its too late for me to change anything as I am due tomorrow.. it just means i am more at risk of having a c section now if baby too big.. good luck hun.. you still have 6 weeks to work on it if u do have it :hugs:

waitandsee - I'm getting tested tomorrow I just wondered how likely it was

Kali - I've had a growth scan and it's definitely LO that's big - glad to hear yours is on track though x

Hi Lilly, they're estimating LO to end up around about 11lb and I'm bricking it :haha: my sister had a really bad induction and if she keeps on like this they will induce me. Trouble is I keep getting tons of braxton hicks because of her sudden growth so they think I'm at risk of preterm labour. I get all worried about her being preemie, and poorly and feel like it's my fault :cry: sorry - just feeling sorry for myself.

waitandsee - I'm getting tested tomorrow I just wondered how likely it was

Kali - I've had a growth scan and it's definitely LO that's big - glad to hear yours is on track though x

Hi Lilly, they're estimating LO to end up around about 11lb and I'm bricking it :haha: my sister had a really bad induction and if she keeps on like this they will induce me. Trouble is I keep getting tons of braxton hicks because of her sudden growth so they think I'm at risk of preterm labour. I get all worried about her being preemie, and poorly and feel like it's my fault :cry: sorry - just feeling sorry for myself.

its def not your fault.. it does not mean she will come early cause she is big... and those scans are mostly off...dont blame yourself.. its nothing to do with you.. its just one of those things.. your bubs will be fine.. and i really doubt 11lbs.. when you having your next gd test - i think docs also always try scare us as mine is saying i may need c section cause she is too big... your are 34 weeks so even if baby comes a bit early she will be fine I'm sure.. but las thing you need to do is stress yourself xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->