anyone noticed a link between constipation and heartburn & sickness?

skellysgirl

Reaction score
I have been having bouts of heartburn and sickness which appeared regardless of what i ate. I sort of linked them to iron tabs but everyone was saying that it was probably just a coincidence. Then i started to notice that when i was also constipated (expected with the iron tabs) and that the heartburn and sickness occured at those time.
As soon as i managed to got for a poo it cleared up.
Anyone else found the same or is it just me imagaining it ?

No, not that they're linked in terms of affecting each other but that they're just a symptom of third trimester.

I'm sure you know this already but iron tablets are known to cause constipation so you need to drink tons and eat more fibre and the heartburn kicks in because the hormones in your body make the muscles of the digestive system relax, which slows down digestion. When your uterus grows, it pushes against the stomach, increasing pressure and sickening feeling. That's why midwifes recommend little and often, to allow your tummy to digest the smaller quantities.

I have both in massive doses too, ahhh the joys :nope:

i think u r right...iron pilss take lots of water and time to get dissolved..and cause nausea....another thing is constipation...when u get constipated u have little space to digest food specially having baby in ur tummy...slow digestion creat nausea...before laying on bed makesure the food u taken is digested..or just do a little activity before sleepin....:hugs:

I have been having bouts of heartburn and sickness which appeared regardless of what i ate. I sort of linked them to iron tabs but everyone was saying that it was probably just a coincidence. Then i started to notice that when i was also constipated (expected with the iron tabs) and that the heartburn and sickness occured at those time.
As soon as i managed to got for a poo it cleared up.
Anyone else found the same or is it just me imagaining it ?

I am getting all as well although had not noticed a link. Sorry if tmi but just thinking that "going for a poo" might make more room inside for baby and food so less heartburn?? I think my sickness is caused by a wriggly baby rather than hormones or stomach probs.

I've been suffering something rotten with heartburn and constipation lately. It doesnt matter what I drink or eat, I still suffer. The cramps I get from the constipation are dreadful. I dread to think what I'd be like if I was on iron tablets! I never really gave the two being linked any thought till now, just thought they were yet another third tri symptom or the hormones affecting my IBS (oh what fun :rofl:)

For me they are linked - I have had IBS for years and even pre-pg noticed that often when I was constipated I'd feel sick and have heartburn more. Now I'm pg I notice it more and of course the iron doesn't help (well, not with constipation at any rate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->