Anyone planning on doing any decorating before lo comes??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by lau86, Jun 3, 2011.

1. lau86

lau86 Well-Known Member

Well we have just moved house, it's in good condition but just the Walls are looking a bit grubby and ideally I'd put some wooden floor in instead of carpets, at 27 weeks now I'm possibly running out of time!!! Has anyone attempted decorating before lo? Is it safe with paint etc? X

2. lsh2010

lsh2010 Well-Known Member

Hey,

We are decorating a front room and we bought B&Q's own paint and they are fumeless, if that;s a word! Just keep all the windows open and well ventilated and you should be ok. The only other thing to think about is what part of the decorating you will be doing, I found that after rollering the walls/ceilings a couple of hours later my belly did hurt from all the stretching, probably best to do the cutting in so you can sit on the floor :)

3. babytibby

babytibby Well-Known Member

I too am looking at moving house, we are in rented atm and want to buy before flump comes along. We will have a month to get out of rented and move and do anything that may need doing before lo arrives.

no pressure!!!!

4. sarah2409

sarah2409 Well-Known Member

Im renting at the moment, and we have been here 2 1/2 years, the cream walls are looking a bit grubby so we are going to pain the walls and the doors and skirting boards. The house just feels so dirty at the moment, and a lick of paint will freshen it up. Not really too sure what paint to use, that fumeless paint from b&q sounds good, might give it a whirl x

5. ttcnewbie123

ttcnewbie123 Well-Known Member

I'll be painting the nursery in a few weeks time, I think as long as the windows are open and you don't over do it you'll be fine x

6. LoPanda

LoPanda Mama to 2 expecting #3

I've just bought a new house too and the whole place needs painting. Think I'm going to let OH do the rollering etc and I'll do the cutting in and skirtings and gloss the banisters etc so I can sit down :)

I have bought some masks and will just open all windows and hopefully get some of that non-fume paint. Is it just B&Q's own brand then? x

7. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

Im gonna be wallpapering and painting and possibly laying carpet before this baby arrives lol

8. bump0911

bump0911 Well-Known Member

I'm moving house when I will be approx 35 weeks... and we have to decorate little one's nursery before he is due!

9. Frecks

Frecks Well-Known Member

We are going to do our bedroom and the nursery, but have to wait until our housemates move out 3 or 4 weeks before due date!xx

10. lsh2010

lsh2010 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's just B&Q's own brand of paint, I just noticed there was no smell when we were decorating then looked at the box and it says no fumes!! They were also on a deal get 2 for £18!

11. stouffer

stouffer Well-Known Member

We're repainting our kitchen and bathroom as the people who last painted our place thought it would be a good idea to use eggshell so not waterproof and not washable. The kitchen looks so gross with so many little splatters on the wall.

I don't think I'll be doing much of the work though.

We're also hoping to get hardwood flooring in our hall since bringing the pram in on a wet day will make for a disgusting carpet!

I think it's best to get it all out of the way before the baby comes and we have no time or space to get stuff done.

12. ttcmikeandme

ttcmikeandme Paul Henry is Here!

I want to put down some more wood flooring in the house and touch up some paint and paint the nursery, I figure I have the energy now I should go for it!

13. cait

cait Well-Known Member

we just moved last weekend so have been getting stuck into decorating

It's been said earlier on the thread but I agree - keep theplace velntilated, leave the roller-work to OH and just do it bit by bit. I actually find an hour of painting to be very relaxing!

We're using Dulux at the mo for the bedroom and I've not been bothered by the smell so long as window is open. Obviously we won't sleep in it for a few more days til it airs completely.

That's only room one of the whole house mind you! Have lots of furniture to build next week so I think I'll be the one reading instructions and handing tools to him!

14. littlenic

littlenic Well-Known Member

It's great to see so many other people are getting stuck in with the decorating, I keep getting told off for doing our house, but needs must I'm afraid.

We moved in just before Christmas and since I got pregnant we've ripped out and refitted the bathroom and I've just painted the ceiling and woodwork in there too. I've got two weeks off work now to plaster, paint and decorate the baby's room before papering and painting the hallway and staircase. And finally, we need to redecorate and fit a new fire into the living room before the baby comes - I'm exhausted just thinking about what we've got to do!!

15. emzul

emzul Mummy to Charlie Jack

Ahhh I have been out to B&Q today and bought some of this paint for the nursery! Was about £12 for 1 and 2 for £18.. but because we are in a rented place, I am only going to paint 2 walls so when we move out in a few months we wont have to paint the whole room back again!

x