Anyone prescribed Phenergan for sickness?

mamas_melon

Reaction score
I've been suffering with nausea for a few weeks which has turned into sickness in the past 3 days. I've literally been unable to keep any food or drink down its so bad. Anyway my midwife came to me today and spoke to my gp on my behalf and prescribed Promethazine (Phenergan), however I've been looking on the Internet and there are lots of mixed reviews on it, some saying it works wonders and others saying it's dangerous to take. It says it's a category c drug and should only be prescribed if no other medication has worked (cat a or b for example). I don't understand why my gp would prescribe these if there are other tablets deemed to be safer? Has anyone else had any experience of taking this?

Phenergan is generally not a first line treatment for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It is pregnancy category C so I don't blame you for questioning why it was prescribed. I would want to first exhaust all the pregnancy category A drugs before I moved on to the less safe category B and then C drugs.

Have you tried anything else? I take doxylamine which is pregnancy category A several times a day with B-6 and it helps a great deal. Its available over the counter as unisom/doylamine succinate and fairly inexpensive, there is a prescription version of it that is extended release but very expensive. A friend of mine took zofran (category B) which helps more with vomiting.

Talk to your prescriber and explain your concerns and ask them if they could prescribe something safer before you try a category C drug.

https://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/37/2/42/5

I took it for a few days in the second trimester with both of my pregnancies when I had a severe stomach bug, and it definitely helped- DS was totally fine, and so far DD seems to be doing well...

I slept wonderfully while I was on it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->