Anyone ttc while breastfeeding?

dinosaur2010

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we are ttc #3 at the moment but still breastfeeding my 5 month old. I'd ideally like an 18 month- 2 year age gap between #2 and #3 so thought we'd get a head start.
No periods yet though but with number 1 they came back at 6 months when LO was having regular solids (we are just trying her on little tastes just now)
Anyone else ttc and bfeeding and want to start a thread with me?

Yep, me. :)

But LO is 22 months and really only has 2 feeds a day. I also have fairly regular periods, my cycles have been between 25-27 days, but I really feel like my cycles aren't 100% as they were pre-pregnancy. I think the breastfeeding still has an effect on them for me. We are onto month 5 TTC our second, argh!

Are you waiting to get your period before trying? I didn't get mine until LO was nearly 14 months.

Can't wait to TTC again... DS is only 12 weeks old though! For the moment we'll NTNP but hoping it happens soon!

I got pg while breastfeeding last time and it was cycle 5. My LO was 12 mos and was fully on solids but still breastfed through the night and to get to sleep! I continued to breastfeed till she was 15 months.
Yea I guess we are technically ntnp as I have no idea of if and when I ovulate.
I'll never use opks or anything other than looking out for ewcm as our first took 2.5 years and I got obsessed with all the ttc gadgets and got so down and stressed!

I breastfeed my 19 month old, once on a morning, bed time then if she wakes through the night. My periods returned when she was 11 months and have been regular since. We have just started ttc number 2. It took us 10 months to conceive my daughter. At the min af is 5 days late but got a bfn yesterday x

AF came back at 8 months PP. We were NTNP or avoiding for a while, we had an unexpected pregnancy at 15 months PP which ended in MC and then at 18 months PP we started actively trying. DS was still nursing all through the night and several times during the day, and we conceived the first month actively trying. I'm 4w3d now!

me my lo is 19 months just had my first af but my lp was only 7days hoping it will be longer this cycle x

Mine got progressively longer each cycle, until it stopped at 12, which I'm fine with!

Oh for those whose period is back i highly recommend vitamin b6 this definitely lengthened my lp and I got my bfp after taking it for only a month!
It regulates hormones x

I'm still BF my 15 month old. She nurses about 4 times in 24 hrs. We NTNP this cycle and got a BFP yesterday. I'm hoping I can continue to BF and hoping it doesn't affect the pregnancy negatively... Most of the literature says it's ok! I hope you ladies get your BFPs soon :)

Conceiving while BF has its own challenge. Sometimes it takes only a slight decrease in nursing frequency to resume ovulation and menstruation to achieve another pregnancy. If you have not gotten your period back yet, or if you have and are trying to conceive, you will have a greater chance of success if you have a six hour period between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am (with midnight to 6am being the optimal window) where you are not breastfeeding. Many women are able to get pregnant once they are only breastfeeding 2 – 4 times per day instead of 10 – 12 times.
Start the baby on solids and supplemental drinks, limit daytime nursing to less than every four hours, and then if fertility still hasn't returned, complete weaning would be the next option.

If you’re not ovulating, you may need to make a choice. You could simply wait a few months longer to see if your cycle normalises (chances are, it will, in time). You could try to reduce breastfeeding sessions to see if that helps you start ovulating again. Once you start ovulating, chart your BBT, watch CM and always make sure you have excellent nutrition!!!

Conceiving while BF has its own challenge. Sometimes it takes only a slight decrease in nursing frequency to resume ovulation and menstruation to achieve another pregnancy. If you have not gotten your period back yet, or if you have and are trying to conceive, you will have a greater chance of success if you have a six hour period between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am (with midnight to 6am being the optimal window) where you are not breastfeeding. Many women are able to get pregnant once they are only breastfeeding 2 – 4 times per day instead of 10 – 12 times.
Start the baby on solids and supplemental drinks, limit daytime nursing to less than every four hours, and then if fertility still hasn't returned, complete weaning would be the next option.

If you’re not ovulating, you may need to make a choice. You could simply wait a few months longer to see if your cycle normalises (chances are, it will, in time). You could try to reduce breastfeeding sessions to see if that helps you start ovulating again. Once you start ovulating, chart your BBT, watch CM and always make sure you have excellent nutrition!!!

good advice ta x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"