Anyone use terries?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just weighing up options prior to LO arriving in 6 weeks (eeek!).

At the moment we're not planning on switching to cloth nappies until we're about a month in (get everything else in order before adding a washing marathon to the equation lol) and possibly keeping disposables on for night times for a while too.

I'm interested in just going for old fashioned terries as they seem the most flexible. I'm also looking at flat pre-folds which we would team with the terries in a nappy parade.

Does anyone have any advice with using terries? Are they good? The price seems right and so does the theory but I thought I would ask the experts.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Aimee

Morning hun i used terries with my 3yo and use them at times with baby, they get wet a bit quicker so i'd suggest using a small booster and a nice fleece liner.
Hope that helps a little x

ooooh, I'm going to use bamboo terrys, so would be interested to hear how you get on!! Good luck x

Morning hun i used terries with my 3yo and use them at times with baby, they get wet a bit quicker so i'd suggest using a small booster and a nice fleece liner.
Hope that helps a little x

Thanks dippy dee....I've been looking for boosters but can only find the ones sold in Mothercare. Can you recommend one?

I'll have a look for fleece liners too!

Thanks for the tips! :hugs:

i would definately get some fleece liners hun! terry's are a good flexible option butlike dee said they do soak through quite quick so you will need quite a few and the wetness tends to stay next to the skin so the fleece will help keep his/her booty dryer!!you can buy boosters online try www.fill-your-pants.com

dont bother buying proper fleece liners tho just get yourself to a fabric shop n get a bit of fleece n cut it up !! it will be a lot cheaper and you dont have to sew as fleece won't fray !! hope this helps hun.

have you looked at folds etc?? if not look on you tube there are lots of videos on there to learn how to fold

hope this helps hun

sara

xxxxxxxxx

I was really keen to try terries too but we don't have a tumble drier. I know terries dry quickly but my mum pointed out that once unfolded, they're a lot bigger than other cloth nappies and our flat is tiny. She used terries and she said it'd be like trying to dry ten small towels a day. I'd rather have nappies that take longer to dry but are easier to hide away somewhere small. If it wasn't for the size of our flat, I'd definitely give them a try (and might still get a few just cos I like them!).

I tried some last week and struggled to get the folds right so gave after two attempts (I was also using pins not nappy nippas and didnt like that!).

If I'm honest, I think using fitteds with wraps, pockets or AIO's are A LOT easier, granted they're more expensive and take a bit longer to dry but some don't.

I'd rate pockets for quick drying time and then you don't need to buy fleece liners and you can stuff more inserts in if you have a heavy wetter (like my LO!).

Each to their own hun but they're not for me (and OH would NEVER attempt them!!!!!).

Why not try a couple of differnt ones and see what works best (especially if you don' plan to use them from birth) as you'll have time to work out what's best for your baby (and you) and buy more of them....it may well work out that prefolds are the nappy for you but you don't know til you try!

BTW, I bought some fleece liners (in an hourglass shape) from Babykind for 50p each and LOVE them...so thin and save possible big stains in your nice nappies!

HTH's....I've rambled on xxxx

Thanks guys!

I've been doing some research and looked at folds etc and to be honest, they look pretty simple (I may regret that at 2am! lol). I have found some possibilities but we're not looking at it until about a month in or so....would still like to make the choices now as I doubt my baby-brain will be able to cope! lol I'm bad enough now as it is!

I think we'll be going ahead with the terries though. We're investing in a new 5 tier airer to cope with all the extra washing etc with the baby- I also have my tumble drier but prefer not to use this too much.

Thanks for your help ladies. I'm hoping that a nice relative may give us some money and then I can get the set I'm hoping for! :thumbup:

I really liked my prefolds when Hayden was younger, once he got mobile I really didn't use them all that often but I still have some just in case. My favorites that I always go for first though are bamboo pre flats...it's about the shape of a prefold/terry but it has a lay in doulber rather than it being sewn in the middle. But they are sooo soft and really stretchy, I get an awesome fit and they are very trim. I honestly can't remember where I bought mine now but I'm pretty sure they were on hyenacart.com just can't remember the store. I know I have one from TicketyBu on there..which are good too but not the really awesome ones I'm thinking of. For regular cotton ones the best I've tried are def from www.greenmountaindiapers.com

Thanks guys!

I've been doing some research and looked at folds etc and to be honest, they look pretty simple (I may regret that at 2am! lol).

The trick is to have a supply of terries that you have already folded sitting on the side, then you don't have to fold them in the middle of the night :thumbup:

We used terrys,but they where already nappy shaped. I tried to fold and just found it too much. I used fleece liners with them and changed them every 2 hours (unless he'd poo'd, then straight away) and they where fine. I really liked them but OH didn't as they where a bit big for Halen so we had to fold down the front and the back else though would be up near his armpits lol

:wave: We're using terries!

Like you, I did my research when I was pregnant and decided that drying time, cost and adaptability made terries the best choice for us. I bought 20 bamboo terries and 5 cottons (quicker drying "just in case" :winkwink: ) We haven't used the cottons yet, but the bamboos are really great, I'm really enjoying them! They DO get very wet (think Vincent is a heavy wetter though...) but I've only had very few leaks (had more with sposies!) and I think the leaks were down to either not folding the legs in properly, or not getting the wrap on right. I have a selection of wraps, but my faves are Motherease Rikkis closely followed by Nature Babies. I think terries tend to be a bit bulkier than other fitteds etc. but it certainly doesn't bother me, or Vinnie apparently! Just be aware that you may need a bigger wrap than you might think... Oh, and even though they get pretty soaked between changes, we've never had even a hint of nappy rash! I'm just starting to try using some old cut-up fleece for liners to see if he stays drier (not that it seems to bother him much being wet!)

My favourite folds are the "simple fold" and the "neat nappy", I had thought that "Gaynor's fold" would be good but once I tried it on him I realised it's not very good for folding the legs in (which I think is key for poo containment!!)

Oh, also, we use nappy nippas, which are just invaluable :thumbup:

Please feel free to message me (now or when :baby: is born) if you'd like some advice / have any questions at all!

Shadow xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"