Anyone using/used sleep sense training for a toddler?

happyface82

Reaction score
WE just started using it last night and it seems to be going well. Just wanted to hear for some success/failure stories really or see if anyone is trying right now so we can discuss how we find things? :flower:

Do you have a link that explains it?

This is the link tot he website: https://www.sleepsense.net/

There are basically 2 techniques. 1. you basically sit next to the cot until LO falls asleep. Then after a few days you move the chair further away until eventually you can place them in the cot and leave the room. 2. You put them in and leave the room and come back at certain time intervals that you think are appropriate. Of course this is just a brief description! :thumbup:

We are using the 1st one as I don't want to leave Katerina crying and also I don't think that the 2nd one would work for her. :shrug:

I have done technique 1 (although not through that website - I learnt about it from the Supernanny confident toddler book). I did it VERY slowly - over about 3 weeks - and he now self-settles like a dream (both naps and night time).

That's great to hear!! Very encouraging!! Thank you. What age was your LO when you tried it?

To be honest Katerina will refuse being pit to sleep any more like we used to -walking with her and singing to her- she wants to be placed in her cot so I'm kinda following her lead.

DS was into "hand holding" to fall asleep (has done since about 12 months - before that he used to fall asleep on the breast or bottle), but this was taking about 20 minutes each night and you get to the point where you REALLY want to break the habit...

The first night or two were the hardest - because we stopped the handholding (I was sitting JUST out of reach). I was reassuring, but firm. He did a little gentle crying (little sob, not proper crying), but I repeated "mummy is right here" gently and he soon stopped. After the first two/three nights (no contact), I just moved a little further back from the cot each night (I was sitting on the floor). Once I got to the far wall of the room, I stayed there for two/three nights, then slowly edged around the perimeter of the room towards the door. Each night I would say good night and say "mummy is sitting just over there until you go to sleep". Once I got to the door, moved just outside the door (still saying "mummy will be just over there until you go to sleep"). He sobbed quietly a little bit (because I was now out of sight), but I just reassured him with a gentle "shhhhushhh, shhhusshhh, shusshh, mummy is right here" a couple of times and he stopped and settled. I did this, sitting just outside his door, for quite a few nights (maybe 4/5) - so that I was there for verbal reassurance if need be. After a few quiet nights (of no murmurs from DS), I would say goodnight, say "mummy will be right outside until you go to sleep", leave the room and go straight to my bedroom (our stairs are really creaky and didn't want to disturb him settling). No crying/whinging at all - he just settles himself to sleep!

Be gentle, firm, consistent, reassuring and slow and it should work JUST fine. :thumbup:

DS has woken-up crying during the night the past couple of nights (teething I think), but only once (about 10.30pm). I have gone in, picked him up, given him a good cuddle and put him back in his cot. I have tried the "mummy will be right outside" and leaving the room, but he has been too upset and started serious crying again. So I have gone back in, reassured him (pat on the back) and then gone and sat on the opposite side of the room against the wall. With a little gentle reassurance ("shush, shush, mummy is right here until you go to sleep"), he has resettled. I don't want to get back into the "hand holding" again! The next nap/night-time, he has been fine to settle (leaving the room) again.

QT

Thank you so much! This is really interesting to read! :thumbup:

We've done night 2 today. It took her 45 minutes to settle but she was as happy as can be. Daddy stayed with her the whole time. :thumbup:

It'll get better and better and better... stick with it - it is both very effective and very gentle: win win! :thumbup:

This forum is about sharing tips and experiece: one size might not fit all, but if it helps in any way, then it has got to be good :cloud9:

QT

Im doing this now too! SHes been in my bed the past few months so she was really insecure going back into her own bed and own room.

We do the upstairs/wash/brushteeth choose a story, get into bed thne we read the story with some milk then we'll have kisses and hugs and ill tuck her in and ill sit just at the corner of the bed. She always says 'mommy sit on the floor' lol and i just keep reasuring her that im there.

The only problems im having is that shes OK going off, but she keeps waking every couple of hours wanting to come into my bed. I try to go in and lay her back down and sit back on the floor ( which isnt fun at 3am ) but shes just heartbroken and keeps getting out of bed and coming over to me.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

sorry to intrude!! x

Im doing this now too! SHes been in my bed the past few months so she was really insecure going back into her own bed and own room.

We do the upstairs/wash/brushteeth choose a story, get into bed thne we read the story with some milk then we'll have kisses and hugs and ill tuck her in and ill sit just at the corner of the bed. She always says 'mommy sit on the floor' lol and i just keep reasuring her that im there.

The only problems im having is that shes OK going off, but she keeps waking every couple of hours wanting to come into my bed. I try to go in and lay her back down and sit back on the floor ( which isnt fun at 3am ) but shes just heartbroken and keeps getting out of bed and coming over to me.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

sorry to intrude!! x

Hi Laura! :hi:

I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but maybe someone else does! Its a different age and situation so I'm really not sure what to suggest. I'm guessing you are doing the right thing though, eventually she will get there. :hugs:

I used this with my daughter and it worked really well. There were a group of us who used it and we had a Sleepsense support thread in the groups section, I am not sure if it is still there or not but it was a godsend to have the support from other mums while we were all going through it. Maybe you could revive the support thread.

Thank you Cattia, I was looking for that group actually and couldn't find it. Its so much easier when you know there are other people doing the same thing! Glad it worked for you. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->