Anyone visited doctor after missing a few periods?

sarah1980

Reaction score
So as per my previous post I've been very irregular since coming off my implant in July 2013 with me currently on CD 82, my longest cycle yet! I'm planning on making an appointment next week but was wondering if anyone has been there before me and what can I expect? What sort of help is available?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah xxx

hiya, i was on the depo injection years ago, and i came off it and had no period for a year! i wasnt at that time TTC but was worried about lack of fertility and periods...my doc sent me for blood tests and i saw Gyno...they did an examination and took swabs etc aswell as blood tests. that was in Uk.
these blimin pills,injections,implants can wreak havoc with our systems. my monthlies are messed up again after comming off pill! Goodluck hope you sort it, try not to worry...although i know thats easier said than done!

Wow a whole year! Did you end up having any treatment? Thanks for your reply.xxx

Managed to get an appointment with my GP for 18th which, if AF doesn't arrive, will be CD 98 for me so more than long enough to question it I think.

Managed to get an appointment with my GP for 18th which, if AF doesn't arrive, will be CD 98 for me so more than long enough to question it I think.

My OB/Gyn says that while its normal to miss 1 cycle a year for any healthy female, if you miss 2 cycles in a row you need to go to a doctor. I was 2 weeks late last cycle so my doc prescribed Progestrone capsules for 5 days. Progestrone is a natural harmone which supports pregnancy by thickening the endometrial lining. And in case ovulation didn't occur, it jump starts periods so you can go on to your next cycle. I got AF on the 8th day of stopping progestrone supplements.

My OB/Gyn says that while its normal to miss 1 cycle a year for any healthy female, if you miss 2 cycles in a row you need to go to a doctor. I was 2 weeks late last cycle so my doc prescribed Progestrone capsules for 5 days. Progestrone is a natural harmone which supports pregnancy by thickening the endometrial lining. And in case ovulation didn't occur, it jump starts periods so you can go on to your next cycle. I got AF on the 8th day of stopping progestrone supplements.

Thanks for your reply, cd 92 now and still nothing.

sorry didnt realise you replied! yeah a whole year, the depo injection is seriously bad! i wouldnt recommend it! no my periods came back after a year and that was it, im off BC now and having odd periods again........BC is bad i decided!xx

Hi! I miss cycles for months. Here is what happened the first time I went to the doctor. :)

The first time this happened and I went to my doctor, he requested blood tests. At that point I was over six months late. They drew three vials of blood. They also gave me a pregnancy test.
A week later my doctor called to discuss my test results and we scheduled a follow up appointment. He also confirmed I wasn't pregnant (which I knew.).
My results were elevated prolactin and slightly elevated hormone levels. He ordered an MRI to rule out serious issues, but that's not common so don't worry about that. He suggested some different options. Changing my sleeping and eating patterns could help. He said birth control could help if I wasn't TTC. Or Provera, a ten day progesterone pill, could jump start my period, but would not necessarily make me ovulate.

And that's what happened the first time I went to the doctor for missing periods. There's been many many many visits since haha :)

I came off my implant in April 2013 and had no period until October lol (136 days or so - but i had no period on the implant either so it was a total of 550+ days). My GP said she wouldnt look into it until it had been 6 months without a period since I was just coming off birth control. and AF started the day before the 6 month mark lol.
I had a 52 day cycle, then a 45 day cycle, then 21 days and 23 and next month I will be at the 1 year mark. She did my blood tests 2 weeks ago, and turns out my hormone levels are fine - it's just my body getting back to normal.

so chances are your GP won't help you much, but it cant hurt to try!
if you want a way to induce your AF, i took 1600mg of vitex and 1500mg of dong quai for 3 days and my AF started :) i didnt ovulate for the 2 long cycles, but since then I have been ovulating, just at odd times.

good luck :)

Thank you all for the replies. Doctor wasn't particularly worried, said just to keep trying as it could happen any time. She did say to come back in June if still no BFP and they'd do bloods then refer me to gynae as that would have been a year ttc. She said they could put me on the pill to regulate my periods but no point as I'm ttc. I am overweight by 4-5 stone and I'm thinking that's the cause so I'm putting all my effort into getting some weight off before I go back in 3 months time. Think I'll go down the vitex route too.

Sarah xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"