Anyone WTT, but prevent using OPK's?

free_spirtd

Expecting #1!
Reaction score
We are currently in the WTT and probably until next spring or summer. DH and I are at the cusp of being ready to add to our family. We had been successfully using the pull out method for 8 years now. Husband is convince that the first time he doesn't PO we will get pregnant (little does he know how hard it can be!). I was going to try and talk him into not PO around when I'm not fertile. I know this is a huge gamble, but has anyone done this as a natural family planning thing? As a newlywed and been with the man for 10 years, I'd like to bump up our sex life without having to be on birth control. Thanks in advance!

I am going to start using OPKs this month once AF turns up, we have been using condoms during what I thought was my fertile period due to an app I am using but then I realised there is no solid proof that I 100% ovulated during that time and I could actually ovulate later so could potentially catch the egg if that makes sense.

Me and hubby have been doing FAM for over 2 years (on cycle 29 now). We use pull-out between CD5 and 3DPO, but after I've confirmed ov with my temps, he can do what he wants ;) I sometimes use OPKs but generally I find charting to be more reliable ad less anxiety-inducing, and use the OPKs to double-check if something's a bit off, e.g. if my EWCM vanishes before I expect it to, or if I'm taking ages to get my temp spike. I found temping and tracking CM gives me enough information to go on to prevent, and I get ov pains which help confirm what the data is saying!

With OPKs you can get a surge but not ov, and this has actually happened to me - you can get your positive opk and then still be potentially fertile days or weeks later, so you can't rely 100% on a positive opk to tell you that ov has definitely happened.

It's only the sustained rise in temperature that can confirm you've oved, so if you want to stop PO-ing when you're not fertile, I'd recommend this way to do it. Get hold of a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) by Toni Weschler, it has everything you need to know about using FAM for both preventing and TTC, and it has so much useful information in it about your cycle in general. It should be compulsory reading!

We use OPKs to prevent, we use PO method starting CD 7 and through 4DPO. Has worked great!

Thanks everyone! This is great info :). I talked hubby into it, I just need to get a couple cycles of charting under my belt to ensure knowledge of fertility. Sucky though, I only have a 23 day cycle so we'll only have a few free days :), but something is better than nothing! I'm so excited :). Will make it easier too when Ttc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"