Anyones baby tounge tied?

jelix9408

Mommy to Willow <3
Reaction score
Right after Willow was born we found out she was tounge tied.
i never knew it was a real problem .. just an expression ..

Im planning on leaving it alone and seeing how she does with her tounge being tied. Her doctor said its not a real problem unless she has trouble talking or feeding. If she can stick her tounge out of her mouth even a little bit then she will most likely be completely fine with pronouncing words and letters correctly. Which Willow loves to stick her tounge out alot .. so i dont think it would be a problem. Funny thing is her doctor is ALSO tounge tied lol. SIL and 3 of her kids are also tounge tied and there fine .. her youngest whos tounge tied is having a little bit of a problem though .. there hispanic and she having a problem rolling her R's.
Which Willow with learn both english and spanish so hopefully she wont have that problem

What did you do? Did you get it fixed or did you just leave it alone?

Wow I always thought it was just an expression too. Its sounds like your doing the right thing, leaving it alone. I am sure everything will be fine.

My friend's daughter was born tongue tied last year. She was told it was only mild, but when she was about 10 months old, she had to have a minor operation to sort it out. She wasn't babbling so the Doc decided she needed to have it done. It was just a quick op and she is much better since. Its only been 2 months but she is coming on leaps and bounds already.
My friend felt guilty that she didnt have it sorted when she was much smaller as she had a day of discomfort when eating following the op, but to be honest, I think this would have happened no matter how old she was.

I'd listen to your doctor and follow his advice. If he is tongue tied too, then he is more than likely to know what, if any, difficulties your daughter will face.

Hope everything goes well for you both x

My son - we had it repaired as I really wanted to BF him but he wouldn't latch. Despite having it done, he still didn't latch!!

We couldn't see any negatives to having the procedure so went ahead. He was a bit upset for a few days and it was hard to see him in a bit of pain, but there are no lasting effects.

I'm glad it was in done so we could give BF a real go, its just a shame it didn't work out.

As said, go with what your GP says - my LO's was only minor too, called a posterior tongue tie. My MW's said it was better to get it done 'in case' of any future problems with speech and weaning.

Good luck with your decision.

(For info: over here, you and LO are brought into a room where the surgeon examines the baby's mouth. You then sign a consent form and leave the room so you dont have to watch. LO is brought out to you within a minute or two with a little piece of gauze in their mouth as they bleed a little. Very minor procedure really. HTH).

My daughter is slightly tongue tied but we havnt had any problems so far. I think unless we do come across anything that she really struggles with I don't think we'll anything. Hopefully she'll manage alright. And hopefully your LO will too :) xxx

My LO was slightly tongue tied, had it snipped there and then at 1 day old. She didn't notice a thing. So much better to get it done as it is such a small procedure when they are little.

I didn't want to risk a problem with feeding so it was a no-brainer for us

Theakston had a really bad one that we got snipped at a week old cos it was sooo painful to breastfeed. I spoke to a speech and language therapist when the dr queried my decision (turns out they see it as a waste of NHS resources) and she said better to get it done when he's so young and doesn't need anaesthetic than to put him through a proper op when he's older. It improved bf sooo much it was totally worth it!

River had tongue tie, it was pretty bad. she couldnt stick her tongue out at all

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/Kalacooke/DSCF1495-Copy.jpg

and as you can see when she tried it turned it into a heart shape

i really wanted to breastfeed but she couldnt latch at all and had to have orphapedic teets, we got hers cut at 1 week and it was fine. They sent us out the room (thankfully) and brought her back a few minutes later.

She cried for 2 minutes tops, it bled a little but after a bottle (she still wouldnt latch) she was fine.

We got it done as as she was so young she isnt going to remember but after 4 months they need a little operation and drugs.

We were told if she can stick her tongue out a little it should e fine and alot of them stretch with time or get cut by spoons/toys later in life.

I personally would get it done just incase but if you decide not to then you could just keep sticking your tongue out at her so she copies and it stretches.

oops sorry so long :)

My 16 year old dd is tongue tied and it has never caused her any problems, she doesn't lisp or anything, she does however say that she produces more spit because of it and recently asked the dentist if it was possible to have it cut, he told her it wasn't advisable as she has very strong gristle holding it in place and she could have problems with healing, also that because she has always had the tongue tie she might find it causes speech problems for her having it cut. I would ask the advice of your doctor or dentist so you can make an informed decision if I were you :)

thanks ladies! she eats perfectly fine .. has no problems eating .. so i think im just going to let her be and if she has any problems in the future have it done then. but i really think she wont have a problem with it .. hopefully she wont ..

and she like to stick her tounge out all the time so im hoping itll stretch it out a little more.

My OH had a tongue tie that was only removed when he was 28 (he plays the trumpet and it was getting a problem) and also it is a factor with his awful snoring! He had it done under a local - brave chap - he said it was really sore afterwards and had to have three weeks off work to avoid infections.

He would have preferred to hve had it done as a child.

My son - we had it repaired as I really wanted to BF him but he wouldn't latch. Despite having it done, he still didn't latch!!

We couldn't see any negatives to having the procedure so went ahead. He was a bit upset for a few days and it was hard to see him in a bit of pain, but there are no lasting effects.

I'm glad it was in done so we could give BF a real go, its just a shame it didn't work out.

As said, go with what your GP says - my LO's was only minor too, called a posterior tongue tie. My MW's said it was better to get it done 'in case' of any future problems with speech and weaning.

Good luck with your decision.

(For info: over here, you and LO are brought into a room where the surgeon examines the baby's mouth. You then sign a consent form and leave the room so you dont have to watch. LO is brought out to you within a minute or two with a little piece of gauze in their mouth as they bleed a little. Very minor procedure really. HTH).

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! Except Oliver had quite an extreme case - 85% tied(?) so I am very glad we got it done and wasn't traumatic at all. The midwife who spotted Olivers was actually tongue tied herself and she recommended having it done as she had to have an operation later on in life and wishes she had it done as a baby. However, saying that apparently some tongue ties get fixed just through the usual accidents and falls that kids have.

iam sure my wee brother had this, the doc told my mum to encvourage him to stick his tongue out and it got better in time.

River had tongue tie, it was pretty bad. she couldnt stick her tongue out at all

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/Kalacooke/DSCF1495-Copy.jpg

QUOTE]

this is what callies looks like now when she is trying to stick out her tounge! we are going to get it done.. but here in canada they only do it if they are failing to thrive.. before there first birthday.. so she has to get it done under anesthetic after her first birthday :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->