Anyones toddler had the BCG (TB) vaccination

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Laraa, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Laraa

Laraa Mummy to a PrincEss.xxxxx

i have recieved a letter in the post with an appointment for my 2 year old to have the BCG vaccination. Has anybody else had it done? If so were there any side affects you noticed?

2. Cactusgirl

Cactusgirl Home birth hopeful

My LO had it. In some areas it is still universal to vaccinate all babies but most places it is not anymore.

He had no noticeable side effects. The site itself can get quite angry looking. Che's raised up 2 or 3 times and ended in a massive pop of disgusting puss!!

This is quite normal and I was warned it might do this up to 12 months afterwards but his only did it up to about 6 months. I was told not to worry unless the site became larger than a 20p piece.if it does get angry you just clean the area with cooled down boiled water and cotton wool.

He is left with the scar but that is to bbe expected.

3. Laraa

Laraa Mummy to a PrincEss.xxxxx

Thank you so much, feel alot more reassured

4. Gingerspice

Gingerspice Well-Known Member

Crikey, didn't know they this for toddlers I've not even had it myself

5. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

BOth my children had it at birth with no problems

6. Aunty E

Aunty E Mummy to Mog and Teddy

Both of mine were supposed to have it a six weeks. Imogen didn't because I refused it, and I dithered with Teddy but in the end, as I couldn't have Imogen done at the same time and I didn't want one done and not the other. I'm going to have them both done privately before they go to school.

7. eddjanuary10

eddjanuary10 Well-Known Member

Ihsan had his when he was about 5 weeks old, he barely flinched but it did leave a scar for a while which has luckily faded almost completely even although I was told it wouldn't! There were no other side affects x

8. Princess86

Princess86 Well-Known Member

My lo had it done in hospital wen he was born, he had a scar for a few weeks then scabbed n went away. x

9. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Aisling had it as a newborn. She just had a raised spot for a little while, then it got pretty raised and red after a few months and calmed down when she was around a year old. She didn't have any other ill effects, she slept through the whole thing :lol:

10. MissRhead

MissRhead Well-Known Member

My LO had it at birth. I Was told he should have it as FOB is exposed to things when he's in different country's. He had a little scab on his arm I can't even see a Mark their anymore. X

11. polaris

polaris Mother of two

All babies get it here. Thomas had it at about three weeks old I think. No side effects apart from the scar as described by others.