Appleby Horse Fair?

x-MummyToBe-x

Preggo with #2
Reaction score
Anyone been before? what's it like? did you have a good day?

I'm thinking about going with a friend of mine or 2.

:thumbup:

No I've never been - it's a bit too far away for me LOL ...... but I am thinking about going to a traveller Fair this year - I've got a ton of Royal Doulton figurines and plates etc in the loft which were left to me and the kids by their paternal grandmother and which none of us would give house room to - the travellers love them though so I'm thinking of taking a stall to get rid :haha:

Brilliant....loved it! Would go again.

Theres so many beautiful horses there aswell! :D

My sister goes for a few days every year and she loves it. My mam's been a few times, just for the day and she seemed to enjoy it too. x

i would love to go! id probrably end up comeing home with a few new additions though ;)

Good fun loveley people great stuff. advice take money lol the stalls are great :)

Never been myself as i live so far away, but would love to go one year once LO is alot older. Ino afew friends who go everyyear an they always say they have a great time an they will be going back as it was a good atmosphere! x

Not after seeing a news report, following the RSPCA officers who were there. No thank you

That was only a small majority of folk who the RSPCA where there for, not everyone.
Im sure the stalls are fab at it! Watchin that big fat gypsy weddin an there is a horse fair on one of the weeks looks good. Most of them take pride in there horse which is good to see, as they get alot of care!

I'd never go, they have a ''tradition'' where they ''dunk'' the horses underwater, in 2007 one drowned. Theyre so cruel to the horses. I think its disgusting.
They increased the RSPCA officers to 20 there last year, I think that speaks for itself.

Is that not the blessing for the horse? I dont no myself, but a friend who goes said they go through really deep water bare back, and it bless's the horse, that its a tradition they do every year. I did hear about one drowning tho.

Maybe it is but it's a bit drastic to put their heads under what isn't it. I just think it's very cruel, poor horses.

I thought they just did that to cool the horses off, as they race them pretty hard sometimes :shrug:
The RSPCA thingy I saw I think they only had problems with a few of the horse owners, and the majority of them were in very good condition.

It's not for me though, and after watching BFGW the other day I turned to OH and said "let's not take DD there...wouldn't want her getting 'grabbed'" :lol:

From what I gather it isn't to cool them down and besides, the way they race them isn't exactly kind either! lol, I dunno. I just think it's pretty crap how they treat their horses. Maybe some of them aren't so bad but from what i've seen and been told it's not very nice.
Just my opinion of course though. :shrug:

From what I gather it isn't to cool them down and besides, the way they race them isn't exactly kind either! lol, I dunno. I just think it's pretty crap how they treat their horses. Maybe some of them aren't so bad but from what i've seen and been told it's not very nice.
Just my opinion of course though. :shrug:
I didnt think it was very kind how they raced them either :nope: but the RSPCA seemed happy with them (except the ones that weren't shoe'd, and the ones that werent allowed to rest and were sweating etc). I've never been though, and I've never spoken to anyone about it who has been, so I guess what they show on telly and what actually happens could be two completely different things. I mean, if you knew you werent treating your horse right you would just avoid the RSPCA on the day wouldnt you, so there was probably loads that didnt get seen to :nope:

no thanks ! ... the horses are treated terrible! i also seen that rspca show! amongst reading over reports ! i would never go :/ x

if it was that bad surely the show would be shut down woldnt it poor horses :(

you would think ^ ^^ yet KFC are still running :p lol x

There is nothing wrong with the whole fair, the only reason you only hear bad press is because it's the only thing the media brings attention to! There are very few cases of cruelty at the actual fair mainly because these horses are worth thousands to the travelers. The trotters that race can be worth as much as race horses. If it was that bad it would have been closed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->