apples

SarahBear

Reaction score
How does that work without (more than a couple) teeth? Aren't they a bit hard? I've given Violet some very thin tiny pieces, but I've seen things on here about babies having regular slices. How does that work? If they manage to bite a chunk off, isn't that a choking hazard? And then if they don't manage to bite a chunk off, they can't eat it. So how do apples work as a baby food?

I peel and cut into cube. He has teeth but uses his gums at the back to chew it!

You could also try grating it.

Our daughter just managed it. She does have teeth now, but she didn't when we started weaning and the teeth don't make much of a difference really. If she bit off a chunk that was too big, she could safely spit it out. If it was manageable, she'd swallow it. They really can do it. But if you're concerned, start with softer fruits, like banana or a well-ripened pear or you could bake the apple. Today we're having baked apple just chopped in half, which is soft and mushy enough for her to pick up and eat easily.

Sophie manages well. From 9 months I gave peeled apples cut in half, she only had one bottom tooth then and one emerging. She çan eat an entire apple now, core and all.

Even here in NZ where it's hard-core TW with health pros, apples are a 9 month finger food.

Try red, floury older apples maybe?

Minties, you made me laugh with that description of TW in NZ. So true, when I asked Plunket about BLW I was told about malnourished babies - scaremongering! :lol: (I did not tell my Plunket nurse that we basically started BLW my LO around 9 months!)

I also haven't given my LO any raw apple. I've given him teeny bits of raw pear, but apple freaks me out. What I usually do with apple is bake them in the oven and then slice them up and he loves them. Baked apple are mmmmmgooooood. I will bite the bullet one of these days and give him so raw apple.

I was worried about lo choking on apple too so I cut it into slices and put it in the microwave to soften a little. I just recently started to give him the apple after I've grated it for his porridge and he has tons of fun sooking it and running his 2 bottom teeth along it to get some apple.

I'd also be worried about the apples being hard to pass in the babies stools if they swallow biggest bits. Not sure if it will get mushed up in the digestive tract

I peel and core the apple with an apple corer,my LO then puts his thumb through the hole and jjust scrapes his teeth on it or bites it.i use gala apples.

I was worried about lo choking on apple too so I cut it into slices and put it in the microwave to soften a little. I just recently started to give him the apple after I've grated it for his porridge and he has tons of fun sooking it and running his 2 bottom teeth along it to get some apple.

See, Violet doesn't run things along her bottom teeth to get stuff. She just shoves it all in her mouth. Perhaps I should try grating the apple.

My lo has seven teeth and struggles with apple, think I'll try grating it. Pear he chomps up, can eat roast pork by the slice, but apple he never swallows, just crams it in then gets upset when it's still there 15mins later. Strange baby.

We actually gave Violet a big chunk of apple today. It was a little over a quarter of an apple. She actually gnawed on it and was able to get some apple off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->