Applying for jobs when pregnant.....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Jay_x, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Jay_x

Jay_x Mummy to Brooke Rose xx

I'm applying for lots of jobs at the moment, but am a bit nervous about telling them I am pregnant, as I don't want to knock my chance of getting the job, & I know unfortuantly this can happen.
    I'm tempted to not tell them I'm pregnant if I get the job untill Oct 29th when I would have legally had to tell them. But I worry that's not a good idea as they have to carry out health & safety procedures & I don't want to put me or my unborn baby at risk. I'd rather they knew.
    I just don't think I've got a good chance atm, but trying to stay positive.
    Just wondering when would I tell them? At the interview.. at the start or around the end? I'm not too sure how to put it across.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    xx​

2. mumnbean

mumnbean Well-Known Member

Thats a hard decision to make... Good Luck!

3. Emma1980

Emma1980 Mummy to Finley

I would wait to see if you were offered the postition and then let them know, get the offer in writing then if they withdraw it theyre breaking the law, but youre still telling them before you start so keeping yourself safe! :)

4. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

i think it is fairest if you tell them, i would wait until you have an offer and then say but to not say anything at all is a little unfair to the companies in my opinion

5. kayleigh&bump

kayleigh&bump Mum to Finnley & TTC #2

i too am out of work. I got made redunant in february and fell pg in may/very early june. Up until then I had been looking for a new job, with no luck what so ever. Since falling pregnant, I have kinda resigned myself to the fact that no-one is gunna take me on, it was hard enough trying to get an interview even when i wasnt pg!! Hope you have more luck than I do xxx

6. emalou90

emalou90 Well-Known Member

Hi there :)

im currently in my second week of work at a clothes shop
    (i havent told them im pregnant and dont plan too even though im dreading if something happens to me at work)
    i can't afford to lose my job, i don't get any benefits and i have to help support the household until october when i can get my Maternity Allowance (she hopes)

it's totally up to you when to tell them, but i made sure i had the job before even thinking about telling them
    (some people, i dont know how, sometimes dont know they're pregnant for a long time!)

im only just contemplating telling them im preg now because im getting a bump, plus i find it hard to stand on my feet for longer than 3 hours!
    but i have no offer of a job in writing and also no signed contract.
    therefore i think the odds would be against me if they wanted to sack me.

good luck sweetie and let me know how job hunting goes, its horrible :( x

7. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

Hi, there's so much to consider isn't there!!

I started a new job at 13 weeks, I was 11 in the interview, I waited 2/3 weeks until I knew some of the ppl better, then had a day off sick, & I said my doc told me I was preggers!!! Just pretended to be in shock for a while. I guess I was lucky as it was only a 3 month contract so they know I'll be leaving, and I'd already signed a contract.

I know it's different in your case but I'd get the job, then tell them, if you get a contract then what can they do when you tell them!!

Good luck.

8. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

hmm id probably tell them, as much as you need the job its not fair to trick them. have you spoken to CAB or jobcentre for advice? other thing i wud suggest is to look for part time jobs and tell them in the interview that you know you wont get mat pay you dont expect it you just need the hourly wage untill you have to stop working? if you have a laid bac interviewer or potential boss im sure ud be ok ..

9. 2bananas

2bananas Mummy of 2

Go for the interview and if you get the job wait for the offer to be confirmed in writing, then tell them. Yes its inconvenient for them but being pregnant does not make you a bad person or a bad worker, you are just as entitled to employment as everyone else.

I just started a new job at the begining of August and told them once I had received my confirmation. I was only 4 weeks when i went for the interview so it wasnt worth bringing up at that point.

They have been really good about it and nobody has said anything negative to me. Actually found out today another girl is pregnant also, she is 12 weeks so it's kinda made me feel slightly better as im not the only one!

It happens all the time in all sorts of jobs, if being pregnant was that big a deal then jobs would only get offered to men wouldnt they, so there would be no risk.

Dont worry yourself about it and wait til you have a job offer before you start driving yourself round the bend xx

10. emalou90

i dont agree with that.

but im not 'tricking' my employer but i wasnt prepared to be out of work not bringing in any money, especially when the government won't help me one bit.

i felt so bad not telling them and being upfront at first but it won't affect the company one bit, ive booked all my midwife/hospital appointments off already, they'll be none the wiser and also they don't have to pay me any maternity allowance of any kind, so they aren't losing out. (also the job offered was a 3 month contract) win win for the company.

so anyway, 'trick' isn't the word. where i'm standing the job i have now was ESSENTIAL.

11. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

its not your question for advice i was answering tho. no offence. your situation is different, you were only 4 weeks, jay_x is much further than you and shes not even got the job yet. I think its only fair that they know shes not going to be able to work as long as they think. most interviewers ask you '' can you comit for a year '' or so, in the uk, it would indeed be ''tricking'' if you say yes knowing full well you can actually only work for say.. 4 or 5 months, thats if your health is all well, they have a rght to know. not only for themselves but to also protect the employee... if they expect her to climb ladders or stand a long time...thats the kind of thing you wouldnt be expected to do should they know.

I wasnt having a dig at YOU, i wasnt even answering your Q its a completely different situation. completely diff. If jay is interviewing for a permanant job, then unlike you, it would not be a 3 month contract. therefore it would in my opinion be unfair on them to not know. Its for her own health and safety that they do know.

12. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

sorry it was someone else who was 4 weeks, got muddled there. but shes nearly half way so the point i was making still stands, shes much further so i really think its fairer to everyone if everyone knows,

13. emalou90

okay okay! i was just pointing it out thats all. i wasnt 4 weeks, i was 17 weeks.

i was saying all i did because i didnt agree with the 'trick' comment but no worries.
    re: ladders and safety etc, if my job turned out to have been one where i'd be putting myself in danger i'd say something, not just struggle and put my baby at risk.

fair enough, most places i've heard of, unless you're incredibly experienced, put you through a 3 month probationary period anyway.

14. Jay_x

Jay_x Mummy to Brooke Rose xx

Thanks ladies for all your opinions.
    I've spoken to the jobcentre about it, they advised me to look for a part time job & explain I won't want maternity pay & work up untill I can. Then I could maybe fit work in when baby is here.
    Oh well will just have to keep a positive head, im sure I'll sort something out!

Thanks again!
    xxxx​

15. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

yeah i know i said i got muddled at the 4 week thing. its just you replied to my comment about you.. when i wasnt refferring to your situation.

I worked in a clothes shop once and had to climb ladders and stand for ages.. :/

but we dont know what kind of job your applying for jay_x ..? i think if you get offered a job at around 20 weeks pregnant its only fair you tell them, they will think they ahve a long term employee when realistically.. you can only work what, 10-15 weeks?!

16. MandaAnda

MandaAnda Well-Known Member

I'm having to do the same thing, and I'm sorry - but you've got to look after yourself. I do feel a bit bad about it, but it's a necessity for me. If a job offer is withdrawn on the basis of you being pregnant, that's discrimination.

In my situation, I had to apply and take a new job, as my current one will be too far away once we move for my husband's new job very soon. So, I had to get something close to where we're moving to. I'd only just found out I was pregnant days before the interview and was offered the job the day after the interview (6 weeks at that point). All the checks take ages, and by the time I start I'll be 16 weeks. I'm going to try to leave it 2-3 weeks after I start before I tell them, and I'll just say I only just found out. I'm lucky in a way, as it's the same organisation, so I still get full maternity leave.

So, no, it's not ideal - but some things just have to be done that way.

17. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

I completely agree with most ladies on this one......you have to look after number one (and the LO) at this time.

Purp.....yes I did trick my employers by not telling them (it's only a 3 month contract tho) so they are not losing out.

I considered telling them once an offer had been made, but I personally felt I'd then be starting a new job on bad footing & would feel uncomfortable. I waited a couple of weeks as that way I knew people, and they were all really happy for me, it was so much nicer to have people to share it with (without the preconception that I'd got the job while knowingly preggers)

Plus like I said, you have to think of no 1, if it wasn't for this job, I'd be having the LO £2500 in debt, and with no clothes/cot/pram etc......I did what was necessary.

18. ninab

ninab Mum to Luke and Alice

If I needed a job I deffinately wouldn't mention that I am pregnant untill I had a contract or job offer in writing. You have got to look out for yourself. I can't see many employers taking on and training up someone who is going to be leaving to have a baby in a few weeks. They have to look out for their company just as you have to look out for yourself.

Harsh but true.

19. Newtothis

Newtothis New Mum

I'm in the same situation - currently on Jobseeker's Allowance as is my OH as we are not long back from abroad. I asked the Jobcentre their opinion and they said I should be upfront about it. I was tempted to withhold the information (I was 12+ at the time) but felt that it wouldn't be fair to mislead an employer as to the length of time they could count on me.

I know some people say you have to look out for yourself and whilst I believe that, my credibility is also very important to me. I feel that if I withhold the information, it makes my pregnancy a dirty secret in some ways and not the joyous event that it is. I would rather be honest and get the job under the right circumstances. If they choose to discriminate against me then they are the ones whose credibility and integrity are in question.

I think it is safe to say that whatever you do, permanent work is unlikely to be had, especially if you are starting to show. I feel it is best to be concentrating on temporary work and all of the agencies I have approached have been really accepting of my pregnancy. I have an interview today for a 3 - 4 month contract and can go in without feeling awkward as they will understand my situation.

That's me - but I hope it is useful to hear someone else's story.

All the best.

x

20. Newtothis

Newtothis New Mum

Don't lose heart, Jay - I got the job!!! :)

A pregnant woman can be upfront and still get a job! It's only temporary but may well take me until I have the baby. In a temporary capacity, being pregnant doesn't have to be a bad thing. Plus - you get more flexibility as to when you go back and what you go back to. You can then look for something that suits your circumstances at that time.

I have been looking for 3.5 months, but it is possible!

Good luck!