April Fool's Day

Jamie0987

Reaction score
How are you guys feeling on April Fool's Day? Any false pregnancy announcements or pregnancy test pictures? I ask because an acquaintance of mine just posted a fake digi on Facebook and then laughed at the whole thing. Someone called her out on it, calling what she did "un-classy." What do you guys think, how do these "jokes" make you guys feel? I'm reminding myself that one day she will make a real announcement and no one is going to believe her. This is why I wouldn't do something like that, when I announce a pregnancy I want to have people cheering with me and not sitting there wondering "is this another joke? Is she for real?"

I know a few people in the past who have struggled to get people to realise it's a joke.

Three years ago I told my friend I thought I was pregnant and she bought it since she forgot it was April Fools Day. :haha: I didn't post anything online just told my friend.

I think if I did that it would come back to bite me, mostly because my brain would be like "now I'm going to keep you awake thinking about babies and pregnancy. I will fill your dreams with labor and newborns." See, the joke would be on me.:haha: Not to mention, I'm borderline lazy. Announcing it and then having to do all the work trying to convince people I'm not pregnant would just be too much work hahahaha.

tverb84 how did she react when she found out it was a joke?

I can't remember what she said but right after I told her she remembered it was April Fools day. :haha:

April Fools Day or not, I hate when false pregnancy announcements are made.

I remember a couple of years back for a "secret" breast cancer awareness thing secretly went around (seriously??? spread awareness via secrecy!) where women would post they were x amount of weeks pregnant when they weren't.

Only 1 person on FB thought it was funny to do this. Everyone called her out on it, but she kept insisting they just found out last night (and even posted positive tests from her first pregnancy) and then several comments later said that if she had a girl she was naming her April Fools Lastname. Her dad was pretty PO'd that she would joke about it & her other friends seemed kind of annoyed.

I would absolutely love #2, but DH isn't on board - while, if it had been true, I'd be happy for her, but at the same time it would have cause a lot of conflicting emotion.

Not everyone talks of their issues (m/c, infertility, wtt, etc), and while they'd have to find a way to cope if they found out a friend were pregnant, it's kind of hard to put someone through that just for a prank.

There are plenty of fun things that people can prank on April Fools Day, but pregnancy doesn't seem to be a good "prank".

/rant

Spunky84 everything you said, I completely agree with. And I remember the breast cancer campaign game, almost every female on my Facebook page did it. I was so confused at first, until I got the email of "okay ladies it's that time of year again..."

Spunky84 everything you said, I completely agree with. And I remember the breast cancer campaign game, almost every female on my Facebook page did it. I was so confused at first, until I got the email of "okay ladies it's that time of year again..."

I think that irritated me more than any other false pregnancy announcement (April Fools included). It was something so stupid as far as spreading awareness & then not letting men know especially when men can get breast cancer too (besides, what does a false/fake pregnancy announcement have to do with breast cancer in the first place?).

I was really confused myself until I decided to read my messages lol

I've had 2 m/c (LTR prior to DH). But this was while I was with DH and we were butting heads on when to ttc #1 (we were on totally separate pages) & reading how several of my friends were suddenly pregnant just made me feel like crap.

I don't think people do it intentionally to hurt people though. I don't think anyone really thinks that a "harmless" prank would have a negative impact on anyone.

When I saw the fake announcement on FB today, while I was 99.9% sure it was an April Fools joke, I was actually pretty crushed. I'm still dealing with a lot of conflicting emotions with recent discussions with DH about #2 (we were wtt until next year, but then he said we'd try this March/April, only to say he changed his mind a week and a half in - including next year - so my heart is feeling pretty raw from that still). I had a good feeling that she was lying about it - even though she was insistent that she wasn't - but there was still that 0.1% that she could have been telling the truth. While I would have been happy for her, it also didn't change the fact that I felt crushed at the same time.

I had one mc before ds1, I had NO idea what was happening. I was on the floor and crying from the pain. I vaguely remember my cousin rubbing my back saying "I can get you something?!" It wasn't until I went in for my first OB appointment with DS1 that I actually told a doctor what had happened and she told me that it was more than likely an mc from what I had described. I just had another one this past week, and maybe I'm being overly sensitive but just a couple of day prior to today my cousin uttered the words "you have two already and you should just be happy about that and let this go! And, anyway, you're probably just prone to having mc's." Everything feels kind of raw and when she came out and said that everyone just assumed she was pregnant so she had to try and trick someone, I thought "two weeks from today I probably would be announcing a real one."

I definitely don't think that anyone does it to be cruel and maybe I'm just overly sensitive but I haven't ever found any of the jokes funny, and that doesn't just include false pregnancy announcements. I'm not a fan of things that make light on a situation that is important and that we don't discuss enough. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone, I just needed to get my feelings out. Everyone finds something funny or important that some others don't. I guess I should remember my two mantras "to each their own" and "let it be" (yeah, I totally stole that last one from the Beatles song [:)])

I just hate April Fools for that sort of reason. I could never tell family and friends I was pregnant when I wasn't. They would be so excited and happy and then so hurt. It's not funny, it's just mean.

Semi-related I guess, my dad was mean on April Fools (ok, always, he was a jerk, but I digress). One time on the way home from I think the store, he poured red liquid all on his arm, and then we went inside. He was freaking out, like screaming about his arm to my mom, running to the sink, etc. She was so freaked out, and then he was just laughing. She was so mad. I didn't laugh at all. I was just a kid and I knew that was messed up.

That's awful! I'm so sorry! We didn't do April Fool's in our house. My mother pointed out that it's a day where people take jokes too far. She likes jokes and she like playing around but not when it comes to playing on people's emotions. My brother pulled something like that with her once. He was actually hurt, he was a soccer player and someone kicked the ball too high and too hard. Anyway, he got a soccer ball to the face and got a nice bruise over his eye. He came running in the house pretending to cry and saying he got in a fight. My dad was ready to beat the snot out of some one and I've never seen my mom get that mad that quick. He was grounded for nearly two weeks after they found out it was a joke. Hahaha, joke was on him! Not tv, no games, no hanging out with his friends. He also learned to never poke the mama bear, and she really is one. Not so much with my brother and I now, we're 25 and 26, but with her grand babies (or as she calls "my babies!")

DS2 pulled a not so nice prank on me today. He kept pulling at my shirt and half whining at me. So I got comfy and prepared to nurse him. He then chuckled and crawled off like "sike! I don't want to nurse!" This whole post was a total digression from my original post, sorry!

Each to their own, I've seen far worse! If someone, for example, decides to post it on their fb page then I don't see why they shouldn't or why anyone should be angry about it as it's up to them. I've seen plenty of things posted that I don't personally like or have found upsetting but I just hide it from my newsfeed. It's ok to feel offended, I might not like something I see/hear but I absolutely think that everyone has the right to think differently and wouldn't dream of getting funny with someone over something like that. It's unnecessary.
This sort of topic reminds me of a quote by Stephen Fry “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." the end is obviously a bit harsh! But I think the message is pretty spot on.

It doesn't really bother me when people put stuff up, I just find it boring as it's been done for so long now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"