aptimal

sparkle1

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question.
On the making up instructions it says to boil the kettle & leave for 1/2 hour then make milk up & serve immediately...

Is it ok to leave the boiled water for longer than 1/2 hour then make it up?
Does it mean leave the water to cool at least half an hour or do I have to make it up after half an hour & no longer? and do I have to serve immediately or can I wait half an hour say?:

Sorry for all the questions but im baffled:blush:

I'll just go grab my tub x

Leave Kettle to cool for 1/2 hr so I suppose water in bottle to cool willl be ok.

They do say serve immediatley but to be honest I dont.I make up several and store in the fridge.

There was a thread up earlier with people asking similar questions .....

https://www.babyandbump.com/formula-feeding/123308-making-up-bottles.html

I think everyone does things differently. In an ideal world, you would know exactly 30 minutes before baby is hungry and go and put the kettle on and make a bottle up exactly 30 minutes later. However, unfortunately I don't live in that world!

Every morning I boil the kettle and fill up enough bottles for the day. I then keep one in the bottle warmer. When Harry is hungry, I add the formula to that bottle and feed him. I then put the next bottle in the bottle warmer and so on and so on. Not EXACTLY how it's supposed to be done, but hey.... it wasn't that long ago when they advised mums to make up bottles at the beginning of each day, and i'm pretty sure babies survived that too!

I think tat they ask you to leave the water at least 30 mins so as not to scold the milk with boiling water. What i use to do when making feeds when needed is boil the ikettle, wait 30 mins and then flaskn the water. Then when Lexie was hungry i could use the water straight away with out having to soothe a screaming baby for 30 mins! xxxx

i leave the kettle an hour then make his bottle its then the perfect temp i think after 30 mins its still too hot! And to save time i boil the kettle leave 1 hour then add it to a flake to keep it that temp n use it thru the day then do the same b4 bed so i have perfect water for the morning :)

I make up my bottles the night before. I boil the kettle and will then make them all within half an hour. The powder isn't sterile which is why you need to do it with boiled water that hasn't sat for longer than 1/2 an hour. But everyone does it differently.

i asked my hv once about this n she sed its to make the powder sterile, and also if the waters cold the powder does mix with the water propery, tho that never happend with me sometimes i left the water for a hr forgetting it was waiting for me in the kettle and it was fine, ive also made bottle stright from kettle soon as boiled , and when i went to shake bottle milk went eveywhere haha, the top was on so guess it was steam or something, haha,

i just put the kettle on leave it a bit make it up n leave on side to cool dwn more as he drinks at room temp, i do this about half hr before he due bottle, if im going out it i do the same just stick it in one of the advent bag things that keep warm things warm, cold things cold ect lol. x

I sterilies my bottles, normally 5 at a time, then i boil the kettle and fill them to how much i need and leave them sit till i use them. To start off with i was only doing one bottle at a time. But boiled water cant go off or anything if u know what i mean, as long as there sitting in a room or something, its fine. I just add the milk when i need them.

well ive just started making my bottles up with just the boiled water and then putting them in the fridge then when she i put the bottle of water in the microwave for 40 seconds then put the milk in and this is the perfect temp for her to drink straight away as i was sick of waiting for the kettle for each bottle!!

Man I think it's all rubbish anyway, just everyone covering their backs in todays day and age, when I had my son making up feeds for day 24hrs previous was fine, now they say make when required.

I think the main thing is to not re-boil the kettle, thought don't ask me why. They say leave half an hour so when milk is added it isn't too hot for baby.

As for water making formula sterile how can it, as the kettle is hardly air tight and prob less sterile then the milk box. LOL BUT who knows.

I boil the kettle wait half an hour to cool, so that when I put the water in the bottles it doesn't evap from being too hot (hence making the water amount less so that avoids the whole too much formula to water thing, which can cause constipation.) Then I seal the bottles (about five at a time this is about 12hrs worth of feeds) and then add the powder when she needs feeding. Then re-heat the milk in a jug of hot water.

I'd say do whatever seems to work for you and baby, cos tbh I don't think anybody really knows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->