Are bumbo seats any good?

Mummy2aStar

Eva & Layla's mummy xx
Reaction score
My LO does sit up.. But is still abit unsteady.. Do bumbo seats help lo's learn to sit up or is it something to prop themup? Only really want one if it will help my LO leRn to sit properly x

My Lo enjoys it for about 10lb mins. I hope this increases as she gets older.

Xxx

It has been a great for us Imogen loves it will quite happily sit in it for half an hour playing with some toys or watching me wash up or tidy :)

Oooh I have been thinking about getting one of these! x

Some babies love them, some hate them. I got one as a gift, and my baby LOVES it! She'll sit happily in it for up to 30 minutes (which is a long time for her!). I would suggest borrowing one or buying secondhand because they are kind of expensive and it's possible your LO won't like it.

Charlie is still too little but likes his already, I have to sit with him while hes in it and only for a minute at a time but I think he'll love it soon enough
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/mystika802/January16th201155.jpg

Medical advice is that bumbo seats are not good for development of a baby's spine. I figure that they'll sit up when they're ready to sit up and their body has developed sufficiently to allow that. I'm a nurse so I tend to look at the safety of all these things.

loved it for my last children looking forward to lo being big enough to go in one x

Emma adored hers. Especially when you put the playtray on the front. We used it for short periods of time but she was really happy in it. When we started weaning we used to sit her in it on the table with us as she was too wee for her highchair but able to sit steadily!

Medical advice is that bumbo seats are not good for development of a baby's spine. I figure that they'll sit up when they're ready to sit up and their body has developed sufficiently to allow that. I'm a nurse so I tend to look at the safety of all these things.

Never heard that, and was told the opposite by both my doctor and the nurse who runs my new moms group. :flower:
The only negative things I have heard about Bumbo's is that they can be dangerous if the baby is left unattended in them. (Baby getting themselves out of the chair and falling). But that's like anything else, you shouldn't leave them unattended anyway.

ETA: I also look at the safety of things that will be used by my daughter. I would never just blindly put her in something/give her something like a Bumbo without first researching.

Charlie is still too little but likes his already, I have to sit with him while hes in it and only for a minute at a time but I think he'll love it soon enough
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/mystika802/January16th201155.jpg

omg....cutest picture EVER! :)

we have a bebePOD (which is almost exactly like a bumbo) and audrey loves it. she is still a bit unsteady with sitting up, but wants to feel like a big girl just like her brother at the same time. she gets frustrated in her bouncer and things like that because shes not sitting up and seeing enough. so we put her in the bebepod and she will sit there happily for around 30 minutes usually. ours has a try table with a little toy on it too, and she loves that. i think she will like it even more as she getts a little older too. right now i dont leave her side when shes in it though, just because shes still a little young

as far as the medical advice, i heard the opposite as well. our pediatrician recommended it to help her learn to sit up and to strengthen her muscles and such. guess its just like that with most things...differing opinions :)

No, my LO doesnt like feeling restricted in any way. I find shes developing a lot better now I just leave her on the floor flat on her back, she gets chance to practise her rolls and strengthens her muscles, she wouldnt of been able to do that If i stuck her in a chair constantly. Also agree with marie73 ^ the HV said if they cant sit up un aided anyway its not good on the spine,so a bouncer chair is a lot better.

Agree that everyone has different opinions - that was just the advice given to me by a friend who's a paediatric consultant. He dislikes anything like walkers etc. as he feels babies should develop at their own pace when they're ready. I've also read differing views from physios, osteopaths etc. but ultimately it's a question of personal preference. Skaterbun - my lo is exactly the same - she loves being on the floor on her play gym and also loves her bouncy chair - she struggles to stay still and the more excited she gets the more she moves!!

Don't bother if your baby has chunky thighs! My baby was very uncomfortable with pinched chub when I bought one... bad idea.

Some babies love them, some hate them. Mine was one that enjoyed her, although in all fairness we didn't use it around the house much. I used mine as a portable highchair, we took it to our in laws and Ella was using it there until about 20mths old! I also would take it to the pool and Ella would sit in it while I got changed.

clint loves his :) bathroom floor watching mom getting ready for workk

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs059.snc6/168912_1851349690044_1429800034_32134923_3479367_n.jpg

Ruby loved hers. I didn't put her in it to help her to learn to sit though, I put her in it so she could sit and watch me do stuff once she outgrew her bouncy chair. She was late in becoming mobile so we got some good use out of it - she only climbed out of it at 10 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->