are children allowed to share bedrooms??

lucy_smith

Reaction score
I no when I grew up everyone's children used to share rooms, but kids always seem to have there own bedrooms, is it the law now? Do they have to have separate rooms?

I'm pretty sure that military housing has children sharing rooms up to a certain age, unless you go on a separate waiting list to see if you can get a bigger house. So I don't think it's illegal in the US. (not that I've heard of, anyway!)

In the UK Same sex children can share a room. Different sex I think they recommend separate rooms from 7 but it's not law

My sister and I shared a room until we were pre-teens. It is not a law that a child has to have their own room, there is no way that such a thing could even be regulated or enforced. A child is required to have a safe, comfortable place to sleep, but there is no law that it must be in a room that they have all to themselves. For a lot of families it is not feasible.

There is no law I dont think but they like different sex children in own rooms come 7... (council houses do this) my daughter is 5 and obviously has her own room.. We only have a 2 bed house and plan to stay in it till baby (when it happens) turns 1 then look to move to a 3 bed house...

I never thought it was weird that children shared a room :/

My sister and I shared a room until I was 10 and she was 16, my parents had to save, but they finally added onto the house so as a teenager my sister finally had her own space (although I didn't mind :) )

My sisters kids, twin boys share a room right now. And they probably will for a while. They are currently 7.

Thanks for all the replies! It's just I always thought I would have 2 children and maybe adopt one but I'm in dream land if I think I can afford a 4/5 bed house. I personally don't see the problem with sharing rooms but just wanted some opinions on it ! :)
But am I right that if you adopt they have to have there own room? Anyone any experience with this?

Whereabouts are you Lucy? I think that would be something you would discuss with the adoption agency when the time comes.

I have never heard of a law requiring separate rooms for children.

If you are in the U.S., and plan to adopt, there are laws regarding room separations. The rules are very specific but don't necessarily require a separate room for each child, mainly for each gender and within reason. When my parents adopted my brother, they had to prove that he would have his own room and would not share with one of my sisters because he is the only boy. They are also foster parents and have certain rules to follow on sharing rooms for the foster kids.

Children of the same gender can share at any age. Children of a different gender can share up until puberty.

I don't think there is any SET age when children aren't allowed to share a bedroom anymore. After all they are brothers and sisters . Having said that, I wouldn't have my children sharing bedrooms because of personal space and me wanting to give them a zone in the house where they can go to and relax on their own if need be. I don't think this discussion should be about gender and having a 'set' age.

I'm in the UK, thanks for your replies! Just getting plans for our future house sorted so I'm taking everything into consideration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->