Are cot mobiles worth it?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by sue_88, Oct 6, 2013.

1. sue_88

sue_88 Well-Known Member

Yay or Nay?

Haven't got one yet, will be getting the one to match the theme in her room but just wondering whether worth the £30!

Thoughts?

2. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

No!

Ha, my own opinion. I use a night light though as it's much better to send her to sleep. It lasts for 20 minutes and is sound activated so if she moans or cries she sets it off.

Mobiles don't last very long to settle them, IMO, and I find them a little bit too loud especially if I have to go wind the blinking thing back up again, my night light has a remote!

X

3. felix555

felix555 Well-Known Member

Not for me no. My lo gets quite easily stimulated and excited so what is essentially a toy dangling above the place he sleeps was a bit of a disaster for us!

I have a cloud b sleep sheep because my lo loves white noise so he listens to the waves crash in now instead.

4. Miss Bellum

Miss Bellum Well-Known Member

Ellie likes hers, but I only use it during the day, I haven't tried to use it to send her to sleep. She likes to watch it going round and lies there chattering away to it! Only paid a tenner for it though as it was in a sale. Someone did give us a mobile which played the Teddy Bear Picnic song but it sounds really creepy! I never used it.

5. Dani_Ldn

Dani_Ldn Well-Known Member

No. We have one above the cot in lo's room, but by the time we move him from the crib in our room to his own room, he will be big enough to be able to reach out & pull at the dangling toys, which will just keep him awake with excitement rather than send him to sleep. Luckily I only paid about £10 on ebay for it to match the room theme. We won't be using it at all, so will prob just sell it on.

6. Sparrow85

Sparrow85 Well-Known Member

Personally, no.

My LO never needed it to go to sleep and it was only used for decoration. We had to take it down when he reached about 5.5 months, as he was sitting up and trying to pull it down. It was a waste of money for us.

7. sue_88

sue_88 Well-Known Member

Seems a bit of a resounding no going on!

I really wish I had bought it earlier for the decoration purposes in her nursery, but I know that now spending £30 for it to be maybe used for a few months (if that!) would be a bit silly.

I might look on eBay if there is one I can pick up cheaply. Her nursery doesn't look finished without the mobile :(

8. GemGiraffe

GemGiraffe Mummy to Seren xx

My daughter loved hers and it was part of her nap time routine so for us yes.

9. w8ing4bean

w8ing4bean Well-Known Member

It doesnt send her to sleep, but it does keep her amused! So if im doing anything upstairs i pop her in the cot and she just chills out babbling away lol

10. Beccaboop

Beccaboop Mummy to Jacob

Depends on the baby really. My lo is so easily distracted and would just stair and it even if it wasnt on instead of going to sleep! So i sold it.

11. Pink Flowers

Pink Flowers Well-Known Member

To us yes, Henry's one has nature sounds and we use it as part of his bed time routine. Then if I need to grab a shower I will put the actual mobile bit on and he will watch it while I shower.

12. sue_88

sue_88 Well-Known Member

Seen the matching one for her nursery on eBay...so I might go for it!!

I figure she likes music and she likes watching things moving, so even if it's a good distraction for tidying away laundry / doing jobs upstairs it will be worth it?

Maybe not so for sleep as she would be distracted I think.

13. Pink Flowers

it is good if you need to get something done.

14. cupcaker

cupcaker Well-Known Member

My thoughts, not really, well not an expensive one at least. I bought a cheapy one that sort of matched our theme. It's a wind up yourself one and tbh I don't think one whole wind (the maximum) stays on for very long. It looks nice though and for my own benefit (hehe) I do think it makes the cot look sweet. However, I've had much more success out of the Tomy light show...projects nice things on the ceiling and plays music at the same time. Can be set for 5 or 10 minutes. Dead cheap too, at the time I got it on Amazon for 7.99, I still check it out from time to time for friends who might be interested in one and it tends to vary upto around a tenner. Takes batteries but not had to replace them as the ten min short bursts must not use much. He's always asleep before it ends though!

ETA:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013DE428/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=baby this but can be in yellow or white too.

15. Pink Flowers

Mine has a remote... I have never used it. But the music plays for 15 minutes before shutting off... I have never had it shut off.

16. BellaBoo0512

BellaBoo0512 Well-Known Member

I bought a cot mobile for LO and he loved it but as soon as he could roll over he kept banging his head on it so I took it off. Instead I made a CD full of lullabys and put it on every night when I put him to bed and it seems to do the same job :)

17. Saphira

Saphira Well-Known Member

For my girls, a must!

We got a crib soother from FP and it has really helped F to sleep. One night it ran out of battery and she would not sleep. No joke! So we bought a second one with a different theme to mix it up a bit and to be sure we'd never have a soother-less night again. :lol:

My 21 month old still falls asleep with her FP Precious Planet mobile (she watches the projection on the ceiling). It's gotten a ton of use and we got it half price off Ebay in great condition. New it is pricey but even that is well worth it, for us anyway! :)

18. lozza1uk

lozza1uk Well-Known Member

Kept him happy long enough for me to run to the toilet when under 6 months but that was about its only use!

19. catty

catty Well-Known Member

Lucas absolutely loves his. He doesnt sleep I his cot yet but when im in the shower I put him in and he smiles and kicks the whole time. When he begins sleeping I there I might have to take it down as it overstimulates him.

20. HappyAnjeL

HappyAnjeL Abigail's Mommy

I got one as a gift- she liked to play with it when she was really little, but no longer than anything else we had... and once she could reach it it had to come out, so didn't get used long before getting shoved in the closet.. I don't think I would rush out to get one, though I would get one if I saw a really good deal on a cute one.