Are me & baby safe? Shingles question.

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya

So came into work this morn and my manager has shingles. Now i believe i had chickenpox when i was a baby and also about 4 yrs ago when my immune system was low. Are me and baby safe against shingles? I think i maybe but am still worried as i am obviously going to see my manager each day at work!

Xx

I'm a teacher. A few months ago, one of the kids came into school with shingles. Everyone was worried about me and made me phone the midwife. The midwife explained that since I had chicken pox as a child, there is no need to worry. Apparently, it's HIGHLY unlikely that you'd catch it twice. I'd say you're absolutely fine xx

Thanks. I was just worried as I had chickenpox as a child and still managed to get it a second time few years back after a minor procedure in hospital. Lol.

xx

If you're still worried about it, there's no harm in phoning your midwife :flower:

Apparently if you've already had chicken pox you're fine. I had chicken pox as a kid, then shingles when I was 12! very rare apparently. But I'd definately ask your midwife. x

Thanks! I seem to be an odd one who has had chicken pox twice! :D

xx

"I am pregnant and been in contact with chickenpox or shingles -

* If you have had chickenpox in the past, you will be immune. You are not at risk, and you do not need to worry or do anything. About 9 in 10 pregnant women have already had chickenpox as a child and are immune.
* If you have not had chickenpox, or you are not sure, see a doctor as soon as possible. A blood test may be advised which can detect antibodies to see if you are immune. About 1 in 10 pregnant women have not previously had chickenpox and are not immune."

https://www.patient.co.uk/health/Chickenpox-Contact-and-Pregnancy.htm :)

I have just spoke to MW and she said its a bit unreasonable that the person came to work but I should be ok but to keep away from the person as much as I can!

xx

I would call your midwife just to be on the safe side and mention that you have gotten chicken pox twice.

same happened at my work - I phoned midwife who said as i have chicken pox as a child i have the immunity to it and as i wasi n 3rd trimester little one would also have my immunity, she said there was no way i would get it. i also phoned the nhs direct and they said exactly the same. another lady in my office was also pregnant and she checked at hopsital and with her midwife and they all said the same thing. that we had immunity from having chicken pox as a child
x

I had chicken pox as a child but got shingles in 2nd tri. Midwife told me u dont get shingles unless u have had chicken pox b4 and then the virus lays dormant in ur system and can return as shingles.

Just because you have chicken pox DOES NOT mean you are safe from Shingles....it is the same virus!!! I am a nurse and not allowed to come anywhere near a patient that has Shingles!!!! Shingles is passed on by the person coughing/sneezing etc so you don't even have to touch them! Yes, it can be dangerous in pregnancy. Here is a reputable article from WebMD.com
https://www.webmd.com/baby/shingles-during-pregnancy
Please do not take medical advice from people here that absolutely no medical training saying that just because you have had chicken pox you are immune from it......because the exact opposite is true!
If you've been exposed to shingles it is best to call your MW or doctor as they may want to do some blood work. As for your boss......shame on her bringing that to work and exposing everyone. I would be so mad!

I agree with above!! thats terrible that your manager is at work knowing there is a pregnant women there. She doesnt know if you've had it. Id be soo frigging mad x

Iv had the same worry today as my mum has been caring for a neighbour that has just been digonosed with shingles and I see my mum everyday.

I spoke to mw and she said i should be ok but it is unreasonable that my manager has come into work. I should be ok but to stay away from her as much as i can! Xx

I spoke to mw and she said i should be ok but it is unreasonable that my manager has come into work. I should be ok but to stay away from her as much as i can! Xx

Ah well I guess mine would say the same I can't get hold of my mw till tomorrow. But was googling like mad because I was so worried. I can't believe ur boss! X

I was told that you can't catch shingles from other people having the shingles. If you have had chicken pox then the virus is going to stay in your body until a time that you are run down you may contract the shingles. I wasn't around anyone that I know of having shingles when I got them.

I was told that you can't catch shingles from other people having the shingles. If you have had chicken pox then the virus is going to stay in your body until a time that you are run down you may contract the shingles. I wasn't around anyone that I know of having shingles when I got them.

i did read that you can get chicken pox from someone with shingles though. Ive had chickenpox twice so am worried that i may get it again! Xx

If you've had chickenpox twice your body may not have adequate immunity to this virus. Some people don't 'store' immunity the way others do. I would avoid her. I wouldn't panic though. And yeah, you'd likely catch chickenpox again if you are not immune, but it's possible that it could return as shingles since you've already had the chickenpox? Either way it IS possible for her to spread the virus to people who have a compromised immune system, never had chickenpox, or don't retain the immunity.

Thanks. I will try my best to avoid her, its a small workplace and i walk past her room each day and use the same kitchen! Lol. Oh gosh i am worried. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->