Are prams a fashion accessory in the UK?

I might not see the point of spending more than one needs to on a pram (or anything for that matter) but I don't really care what prams people get. However, a post said something about respecting what people choose to spend their money on (sorry can't remember who posted and it was pages ago! lol) and to be honest I think I often don't respect what people spend their money on and don't see why I should. Using Holly's car analogy, I don't respect people who buy 4x4s who don't live and drive on a mountainside who could've spent the money on, say, a hybrid, and helped save the earth. I think for a few people maybe they do get envious that others can afford something fancier, however I think for others (and I include myself) it is more about the ethos of materialism and consumerism that is upsetting. I wonder what the carbon footprint of prams is?

I might not see the point of spending more than one needs to on a pram (or anything for that matter) but I don't really care what prams people get. However, a post said something about respecting what people choose to spend their money on (sorry can't remember who posted and it was pages ago! lol) and to be honest I think I often don't respect what people spend their money on and don't see why I should. Using Holly's car analogy, I don't respect people who buy 4x4s who don't live and drive on a mountainside who could've spent the money on, say, a hybrid, and helped save the earth. I think for a few people maybe they do get envious that others can afford something fancier, however I think for others (and I include myself) it is more about the ethos of materialism and consumerism that is upsetting. I wonder what the carbon footprint of prams is?

You are the same as my OH. I'm definitely enviromentally concious, but my OH is even more so!

We actually pay extra to have our Hydro company send another company our hydro consumption for the month, and have that company pump green energy back into The Grid for the amount that we used.

So we're not off The Grid, per se, but our effect on it is negated.

Interesting point you brought up! :thumbup:

I have a Graco Travel System which cost about £100 and a Century Stroller which was about £70... we only used the TS for 6months before switching to the stroller which is now knackered. Planning on reusing the TS for baby no.2 when it arrives, and buying a new stroller next summer/autumn!

Personally for me I dont get the whole expensive buggy thing... I wouldnt buy a new one if there wasnt anything wrong with the old one... but I'm as tight as a ducks arse and squeak when I walk! :D

I have alot of prams/pushchairs but only one was brought brand new

MY 1st was a graco tour delux but he out grew the carry cot
2nd was a mama's and papa's ultima but realised it was not sutable for the car
3rd was a Mama's and papa's Pilko P3 we still use
4th My Bebe Confort Loola because once he out grows the Pilko pram he can still face me

5th i also have a smaller graco i got given but have never used yet
6th was another i was just given but i gave it away to someone else

In total really my graco cost £250, Pilko £38 and my Loola £50 plus i just brought a new seat unit for £14, and my ultima £40 so i may have loads but not spent much to be honest

I'm Canadian and stroller-obsessed.. lol. However, I'm not going to buy any more strollers for Elyse (I only have one)... until I need to buy her an umbrella stroller. And that's it, just 2. I have a Peg Perego Uno and I'm going to look at MacLaren umbrella strollers. If I have another baby I want to sell my Peg or keep it and also get a Quinny Zapp. :)

I think it seems like there is a larger/more diverse/better market for baby equipment in the UK, you guys seem to have tons of baby stores and we have like.. Babies R Us? lol.. then we just have department stores (with horrible selection).. and little shops.

Yep the UK is deffo pram obsessed; I can't wait to go shopping for mine!!:winkwink: But some are so ridiculously overpriced so I wouldn't spend too much, especially on the first one as bubs will only be in it for a wee while and will probably need a lighter one quickly. Also I'd get into so much trouble if I spent a fortune!

Oh, and on the whole debate... I have an iCandy, which I honestly bought because it was the only one that ticked all the boxes for me - I got it on ebay for half the asking price.
Obviously, looking at this debate they are a bit of an accessory in the UK :) At least there's choice, in Switzerland (expecially Zurich) you can't move for bugabees and it's enough to put anyone off them for life.

I bought an expensive pram IMO - The icandy when it came out...peice of heavy shit! Give me a 'cheapo'!

But play nice here on :winkwink:

Wow, what a thread!!

I'm not into fashion myself so as far as I'm concerned, I'll go for the best pram for the job. Couldn't care less what it looks like, it just needs to fit in my boot and be comfortable for my baby!!

I have noticed myself eyeing up other prams of late, but mainly because I'm on the lookout for my own ideal pram. I'm usually too busy cooing over the contents than noticing what brand or pattern it is. The only thing that normally catches my eye is those stupid carseat things where the baby spends about a gizillion hours with it's knees by it's chest. I don't like those :nope:

At the end of the day, babies aren't fashion accessories and as long as they're comfortable, there's no need to compare to what someone else has.

I can appreciate people chopping and changing prams as their needs change but I'd rather get it right first time and keep the one for the entire time my baby needs it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much out there so I'd better keep looking! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"