Are property rentals legally allowed to advertise as "no children"?

B

Belle25

I was just wondering if it's legal for landlords to advertise their properties as no children allowed?
Reason I ask is, my friends house hunting and saw a house advertised as "no smokers, pets, dss or children" :growlmad:
I find this disgusting, surely it's not legal?! children are human beings :growlmad:
X

It's quite common here I think it's to stop damages to carpets drawing on walls etc.

I don't see why not, no DSS always sounds more insulting I find although I understand why it is stated, I know with one letting agent we looked at a couple years ago they wouldn't put children in flats above up ground level to do with noise and pushchairs. I haven't seen it before but I do have the opinion that you should get to choose whose in your house, but without being racist or anything like that!

no its quite normal and tbh i cant blame them sometimes - when we were looking to rent a house we looked round a few that were quite obviously trashed by children - broken floor in the bedroom which was also covered in crayon and pen all over the walls etc.. some people just dont care when its not there actual house which is really rude i think you should be even more careful when it aint your house

Yep it's legal and quite common. I know it's a struggle, especially with the limitations of the bedroom tax, which I'd agree with if it wasn't for a total lack of any rental properties in certain areas.

I don't think it's disgusting :shrug: I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to decide what type of tennant they are looking for when renting out their house

What annoys me is when in the details it states a family bathroom but then says no children.... Not a family bathroom then is it!!!

But I can understand why some people don't want children in their properties. They have to make an income from the property so I understand why as its more future rentability rather than the here and now.

OP, if your friend is having trouble, you may find landlords relent if you call them up and allow them to realise you're a nice person with a good rental history etc etc. Our last flat said no kids and they weren't too bothered in the end.

Wow, I can't believe that is legal. It's not legal in the US. We have the Fair Housing Act that protects prospects and tenants against housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status and disability. (That means having kids!). It applies to all states.

As a landlord myself, I wouldn't discriminate like this though.
She and her husband are a good professional family, so sure they won't have a problem. I was just surprised.
X

Oh, we call that Section 8 in the states. Same thing, sounds like.

its very common around here.
80% of rentals are 'no smokers, kids, pets or dss'.. thats me buggered i tick all 4 of those!!!

although my LO & the hamster havnt ruined anything, shes drawn on the walls once but it wiped off & or course the odd spill of food/drink but i clean it up.
i smoke outside so not stinking the flat out & been on dss for 15 months & not missed a payment.

they are painting everyone with the same brush again i suppose!! xx

I don't think it's disgusting, my mum is thinking of renting out her house. Her wooden floors cost a fortune as did her kitchen and she doesn't want children nappy training, drawing all over it, fair enough it's her house after all ...

Here, it is absolutely illegal. You cannot discriminate against people for having children.
I am really surprised it is legal in other places.

I find it really annoying but I completely get it. LO has drawn on the walls and ripped wallpaper (all decorating was done by me anyway), I've drilled into the walls for stair gates etc. I fix and replace anything damaged but I can understand home owners wouldn't want the worry of these things happening.

I've found that the landlord is normally ok to accept kids if you are willing to put down a larger deposit.

Where I live I've never seen any property advertised that doesn accept kids. I've seen the dss thing and smoking ect I guess at the end of the day it's their house and they can have who they want I just find it weird like whats the worst that they can do draw on a wall pretty easy to wipe off, nappy training wipe it and sterilise :shrug:

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"