are richer people happier people?

My ex in laws were rich and they were miserable and challenging.

I think it's more people who are able to cover their costs and save a bit as well as not having significant debts are happier as opposed to rich people per se being happier xx

RichER yes. Rich to point they do not know what to do with money no. I think at some point it becomes a what do I do next emptiness.

Would I want more money-yes. I would be able to live in peace far as IRS, housing and vet bills. I would be pretty happy to live as is but just fix house up a bit to include centrail air and fix heating issue we have.

I would help out my neighbor who is suffering with same daily struggles.

I would also adopt a few kids. a sibling group at risk or disabled kids. The ones who won;t get out of system without a miracle.

I dont mind working for a decent wage but right now it is husband working jsut to get by with no real advancement/upgrades.

No, I believe strongly that happiness is relative and you will always find yourself on a bit of an emotional plateau even with riches. A content rich person would not be any happier than a content poor person.

I was taken on a 5* holiday this year, an experience I've never had. Private villa, beautiful area etc. After the first couple of days after the culture shock wore off, I was pretty much as content as a good day in England in my tiny house. Considering the money that one would need to live there, I found that quite eye-opening.

I think when you have money, you have to deal with the disappointment that certain things aren't as fulfilling as they were in your dreams - which can counteract the supposed happiness that financial freedom should give you.

I find it easier to be happy now we have money (not that we're rich lol), money makes life easier, it can make you happy in the sense it can take the edge off of certain situations. However, the important things in life like health and love cannot be bought, so I truly believe you can be happy and "poor" but not necessarily rich and happy if you don't have your health and love which costs nothing. Ideally, it's great to have love, health and money, that's got to be the best haha :)

I have been on both sides - my family really struggled when I was growing up and now my husband and I are living very comfortably (not quite rich).

Money alone doesn't necessarily equal happiness but in my experience, it certainly makes things easier and less stressful (and increases happiness, for me anyway).

I agree with what someone said above. Money alone doesn't buy happiness - it's nothing without health and love, etc.

We're quite well off but are facing not being able to have kids. Our friends are struggling financially but have a toddler and one on the way. As hard as it is for them I know they wouldn't swap for the world and I'd give everything to have what they have.

I think money as far as it means security i.e. a roof over your head and food is important but it doesn't equal happiness.

I think if you have all the things in life that money can't buy, great family/friends/relationship then you are much happier than people who are rich that don't have those things...

BUT, worrying about money and not having the money to do things you want certainly causes unhappiness. I've always had a great life, a fantastic husband and a loving family, but I worked in a job I hated for years because I couldn't find anything else, because I needed the money, and it made me very unhappy, and I couldn't enjoy the amazing things in my life.

A few years later, my husband (then boyfriend) and I had saved enough money to travel the world, and I was the happiest I'd ever been in my life, but you can't do things like that without money.

Now that we have our baby girl, we feel like our lives are perfect, and the only thing that would make us happier is to have more money. I'll have to go back to work after my mat leave ends which breaks my heart, but we have bills to pay and need to pay for the roof over our heads. If we had more money then we would have absolutely no worries, and therefore be happier.

It depends what makes you happy I suppose, for me to be the happiest I could be, the only thing I would change would be the ability to not have to leave my daughter to go to work, and travel is the biggest thing that makes me happy, I'd love to be able to take her to so many places around the world, I want her to have experiences, and without money we can't do that.

Money can't buy you happiness, just a better standard of misery!

My ex was a millionaire at age 31 but was also incredibly lonely, even though he had lots of friends and family. He had a beautiful house & a couple of nice cars, but they didn't actually mean very much to him as he was too unhappy with himself to enjoy them.

It really bugs me when people hear of wealthy people being depressed and say "what do they have to be depressed about" (happened a few times when discussing my ex). It's like they believe that depression is exclusive to non wealthy people and that money does indeed buy happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->