Are superdrug early known for false positives?

iwantababynow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my question is I know I was only 8dpo and am still very early but I took a superdrug early yesterday and a line popped up within the time limit was very faint but definitely there, I did a frer and that was completely negative. So I couldn't wait so I did the other superdrug early and the line popped up even quicker this time and us still there. This morning I did a frer and 2 cheapie 25miu strips and they are all still negative.
Superdrug seemed to have discontinued the early test I just wondered if it's because they are unreliable?? Have attached the pics of yesterday's tests

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_183721.jpg
    IMG_20171022_183721.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20171022_175840.jpg
    IMG_20171022_175840.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 70
I can see a faint line there. I think they only do single packs at the moment but I'm certain they changed them because before their control and test lines were quite uneven and patchy whereas now they're solid.
There are many who say they had false positives but I have used loads of these tests and when I haven't been pregnant they have been negative, when I have been they have been positive, with progression on many, only thing is they seem unreliable in terms of dye concentration as I dipped two in the same sample once and one was dark and the other barely there. I don't think they're prone to give false positives tbh as I always had positive ICs when they were positive. Unfortunately mine were all chemicals and my levels didn't get high enough for anything other than a 10mIU test to show. In my opinion they are reliable to give a result, but not so much to check progression

Thank you, I have done loads of these that have been negative before when o tested out my MMC, the tests I took yesterday were singles from 2 different boxes, that's why I was confused with the negative frer, I've got some 10miu cheapies coming today from Amazon so I'll give them a try!

FRER isn't quite as sensitive as these so may take a couple more days to show

I just thought I would update that these were false positives I can't say evaps as they showed within 3 minute's, I can't believe it I always trusted superdrug in the past it's now 2 days later and not a sniff of a line in any other brand !

I dont think frer are as reliable as we all like to think i did a cb at 5 dpo and got the faintest of lines so did a frer and it was totally white so thought the cb was a false positive. I then went in to do two more cb and two more frer. Frer carried in being bfn and cb were faint positives. Anyway i then did a frer 2 days before my af was due and got a dark positive..i was reading up on them and they said they arent as reliable as they make out! The superdrug one looks positive to me. How many days until your due af?

Bella, was the CB a early detection? If so, they're more sensitive than FRER. I don't think FRER are as reliable as they used to be years ago, but I haven't once had an evap, only the indents which are hugely annoying! It's hard to distinguish between a super faint positive starting to show and an indent on a FRER.

OP, you're only 10dpo, so you were quite early to test. There could be any number of reasons the Superdrug showed a faint line. I can see it but it's incredibly faint. Also the dye varies in those a lot. Did you retest with Superdrug or something else? Most other tests aren't as sensitive as these, unless they're CB early detection (which aren't always reliable) or 10mIU ICs. To my knowledge these are the only other tests as sensitive unless you had a curved FRER.
It could be your urine isn't as concentrated because you drank more or held for less time. It could be you detected a super early pregnancy which didn't quite implant properly. It could be that the other tests aren't sensitive enough. Sometimes hCG won't double as quickly as expected at first but then it will go crazy. Sometimes tests get fainter and then darker without any problematic pregnancy. There are loads of reasons why you may have seen negative tests after this, it's more likely to be one of these reasons than the test being false. It could have also been your urine made the test line appear more clearly without it actually being positive, like the indents on some becoming clearer once urine has washed over them. The Cassanovum strips are like this.
I would retest in a day or so and see what happens.
The reason I think it's less likely to be a false test is because in theory, false positives aren't meant to happen. The reason being is because you need the hormone in your urine in the first place for the test to register positive, no matter how faint. It's a chemical reaction which gives the test line colour. No hormone = no test line/no coloured test line. Hormone present = coloured test line faint or otherwise. So they shouldn't actually be capable of giving false positives

I agree with Bella about the free - back when I was TTC most if us avoided them!

I do see those lines - Good luck :dust:

Bella, was the CB a early detection? If so, they're more sensitive than FRER. I don't think FRER are as reliable as they used to be years ago, but I haven't once had an evap, only the indents which are hugely annoying! It's hard to distinguish between a super faint positive starting to show and an indent on a FRER.

OP, you're only 10dpo, so you were quite early to test. There could be any number of reasons the Superdrug showed a faint line. I can see it but it's incredibly faint. Also the dye varies in those a lot. Did you retest with Superdrug or something else? Most other tests aren't as sensitive as these, unless they're CB early detection (which aren't always reliable) or 10mIU ICs. To my knowledge these are the only other tests as sensitive unless you had a curved FRER.
It could be your urine isn't as concentrated because you drank more or held for less time. It could be you detected a super early pregnancy which didn't quite implant properly. It could be that the other tests aren't sensitive enough. Sometimes hCG won't double as quickly as expected at first but then it will go crazy. Sometimes tests get fainter and then darker without any problematic pregnancy. There are loads of reasons why you may have seen negative tests after this, it's more likely to be one of these reasons than the test being false. It could have also been your urine made the test line appear more clearly without it actually being positive, like the indents on some becoming clearer once urine has washed over them. The Cassanovum strips are like this.
The reason I think it's less likely to be a false test is because in theory, false positives aren't meant to happen. The reason being is because you need the hormone in your urine in the first place for the test to register positive, no matter how faint. It's a chemical reaction which gives the test line colour. No hormone = no test line/no coloured test line. Hormone present = coloured test line faint or otherwise. So they shouldn't actually be capable of giving false positives

Thank you for your reply, I did 2 superdrug tests on the same day that were both positive,, and a frer the same-day and the other one the day after and countless amounts of ICS and not one of the others had even a sniff of a line (and I really looked lol) the earliest I have ever had a line is 10dpo and that was on a 10miu IC and only have 25miu ones left not feeling very confident!:cry:

Yeh it was an early detection..i did that at 5dpo so was so surprised when i saw the line! Then i did two normal ones a couple of days later and a line didnt show until it was totally dry the next day.

Thank you for your reply, I did 2 superdrug tests on the same day that were both positive,, and a frer the same-day and the other one the day after and countless amounts of ICS and not one of the others had even a sniff of a line (and I really looked lol) the earliest I have ever had a line is 10dpo and that was on a 10miu IC and only have 25miu ones left not feeling very confident!:cry:

The ic’s arent very sensitive i didnt start getting even a squinter on them until like 2 days before my af was due x

So the ICs you used, are they also 10mIU or 25mIU? FRER aren't as sensitive so this could easily be why it wasn't positive. Having said that, when I have had obvious lines on ICs I didn't have a line on a FRER so it could be they changed their sensitivity. I don't think it was faulty ICs or even faulty Superdrug tests because lines were clear on both but FRER non existent. They used to be reliable at early detection, perhaps not so much now. I'm unsure on them. I see so many posts on this forum alone which vary so much with them.
But the Superdrug I wouldn't have said is unreliable in terms of detecting pregnancy early. I think it's completely possible an already there test line was made more obvious by urine, that said your test does look like an actual proper faint line though.
For me they have always been reliable in detecting pregnancy, just not reliable in checking progression because of the dye variation. They have always been negative when not pregnant and positive when pregnant, backed up with other tests.
If the ICs you used are above 10mIU then that's probably why they're not showing up, and who knows about FRER! I always start with One Step ICs and if I see clear lines I try other tests like Superdrug, FRER, CB ...

Bella, it's crazy how different it is for each person. I have had positives on ICs as early as 7dpo, and they weren't shy some of them. But then nothing on FRER. I have had clear lines on both ICs, Superdrug and CB but nothing on FRER

Then I can only think perhaps it was a faulty test, which shouldn't happen. Or could be a chemical, which are quite common it's just usually you don't pick them up because they usually happen so early on but you tested early so you could have picked up a chemical. I hope not, though.
How long did you leave the test for before taking a photo? Because it can take a while for the dye to clear completely. Could it have been you photographed the dye still moving across? As the test line can look positive momentarily until it clears completely. How did it look when dry? I found with these particular tests they tend to dry a little darker, whereas ICs for me don't do that for some reason.
You're still early though, so could be you see a clear positive in a couple of days. I would keep testing unless af arrives

I took pictures at 10, 25 mins and when dry I still have both the tests with the lines still there :(

If you don't see a positive in the following few days then I guess it must be a faulty test or possibly a chemical. Faulty tests are unusual they technically shouldn't happen and I can't figure out why/how they do happen, because it's a chemical reaction that has to happen for it to change colour where the test line is, but I have had a couple of faulty tests (ICs) before.
I have heard if you have certain ovarian cysts you can get false positives on sensitive tests, is this a possibility?

I got an obvious line on a Superdrug test a couple of months ago but it turned out to be a bfn so I won't be buying those tests again :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->