Are there any pregnant horse riders/owners out there?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by laurapinkloz, Aug 28, 2009.

1. laurapinkloz

laurapinkloz Pregnant

I am currently 9+2 weeks with my first baby, I have 4 horses!! Just wondered if there were any other mum's to be out there in the same sort of set up?? If so how are you coping? Are you still riding or when did you stop?

2. purpledaisy2

purpledaisy2 Mummy to a gorgeous boy

Hi hun,

I've only got the one horse at the moment, I am still riding although only gentle hacking.

I dont do half as much round the yard though, apart from feed times & sweeping up :haha:

I think there are quite a few people on here with horses, but not necessarily in 1st tri

xx

3. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

Yes, Ihave 2 horses. Last week one of my horses was found to have OCD and may possibly never be ridden again (he is 8), but I do have another horse and I will be riding him right up until I can no longer get on/off comfortably and/or he cannot carry me safely and comfortably. I will also be keeping my horses after the birth, and may add to the clan if the 8 year old IS said to be unrideable after his arthroscopy.

4. alibaba24

alibaba24 Well-Known Member

5. Dolly32

Dolly32 New Member

Hi Guys

Bit of a late reply to thread but hey ho. Im 6 months pregnant... due end of January and have just stopped riding. :sad2 boo hoo.

Am fortunate enough to have a beautiful 16hh Gelding, whom has been an absolute gent throughout my pregnancy to date. But has now got to the stage where i can't physically dismount haha. So decided to call it a day. So Id def say, if youve a well behaved horse and youre sensible, you can keep on riding until it feels uncomfortable for you etc.

Am trying to find a person to perhaps do a share arrangement with me going forward...but not the easiest time of year to get people on board. So shall continue pottering about and lunging until then.

6. Ifeelsick

Ifeelsick Well-Known Member

Hi

I am just 7 weeks pregnant for the first time and I share a lovely gentleman gelding. I'm really not sure how long to keep riding, I guess I'll just wait and see how I feel. I don't think I'll be jumping though! :cry:

I'm just a bit worried about being able to fit in the time to ride properly once :baby: arrives - I really hope I can :shrug:

7. Lownthwaite

Lownthwaite 1DD and cooking #2!

I have a 13 year old gelding. I haven't ridden since i found out i was pregnant - at request from hubby. I am still looking after him though - he is now in for winter thanks to all the rain!! :dohh:

I am still on doing everything myself and just taking it easy.

REALLY missing riding though! :cry:

8. Dixielane

Dixielane Stick baby!!!!

I have horses... I stopped riding at my BFP to be safe... My outlook, is even the safest horse can trip, so I don't want that "guilt".. But i love horses. And plan to pick back up after pregnancy.

9. MissMegs

MissMegs Well-Known Member

It's difficult to decide what to do because everyone gives different advice! My GP told me i was fine to do gentle hacking/dressage as I've been riding for so long and had the same horse for such a long time. He said his wife carried on like that and was fine. Then I spoke to my midwife who advised i didn't even get near the horse in case she went for me! I thought this was a little OTT but she had a point as well. As my mare is getting on now, she's 25, and I've had her for 20 years so know her inside out, I've decided to carry on hacking until I can't due to bump - I'm currently 10 weeks. I'm only walking and trotting as I don't want to risk any spooking (she has a habit of it!) at a canter and I'm very lucky that I'm on a farm so am on the grass all the time and not on roads. It really does depend on how you feel and what your gut instinct is.