Argh. Growth spurt? Baby screaming..

M&S+Bump

M & S + Baby Joe = Family
Reaction score
..as if he's hungry, sucking his dummy like a demon and latching on so hard and then sucking furiously as if he's been starved for days - but then pulling his head away, wriggling and arching his back while continuing to scream.

Earlier when he did it I just kept putting him back on and massaged to try and get the milk coming faster, and once it started flowing properly (I have a pretty forceful letdown) he seemed happy enough, ate loads and then fell asleep. Woke up screaming again about an hour later so I tried him on the other boob, and he did the same again but this time the milk wasn't coming as quickly because he'd only fed from that side maybe two hours before so there wasn't as much there, and eventually I gave up and decided it must be something else because he was just screaming and refusing to stay latched. He was then promptly sick all over me as well so I thought he must have had enough.

Phoned OH to come home because was at the end of my tether with the crying and he gave him a bottle of expressed milk because he also thought he seemed hungry and I didn't have anything left! He chewed the bottle initially but after having been walked about for a bit, settled down and drained it in about two minutes flat. He stopped crying as much after that, just grizzling a bit rather than full on screaming.

All day he's been quite unsettled and chewing his fists constantly and screaming to be fed, he's also been sleeping a bit more than usual during the day the last couple of days. He's 11.5 weeks.

My supply had been fine so far, I've usually managed to express at least 4oz extra a day as well as feeding him, apart from last weekend when I was away for three nights and didn't have my pump with me, I just fed him all weekend, and haven't been able to get as much since.

Any ideas? :(

My baby isn't that old yet but from threads i have read on here there is a 12 week growth spurt so it sounds like you are on par for that. Hope it passes soon for you guys :)

Definitely a growth spurt hun! He may be crying and screaming a bit more if he is overfeeding himself a bit (either getting too full or getting wind) or if he is wanting to comfort suck but getting milk out. He could be teething a bit too.

Don't doubt your supply! Your milk is literally there on tap and though you may not feel full, you will have plenty there for him, even after an hour.

These spurts tend to last a few days, IMO, with a peak where it is horrible for, like, a day. Hopefully it gets better soon for you!

He always has been very windy but didn't seem any more so (in fact, probably less windy the last week or so) than usual.

I did try to feel his gums but I don't know what the heck I'm feeling for really lol, there didn't seem to be anything but smooth gum there. Teething crossed my mind because apparently in OH's family babies' teeth come really early, and he's been chewing his hands constantly and dribbling a fair bit the last couple of days too - he doesn't usually dribble much at all and will occasionally suck on his fingers when hungry but now it's fist in the mouth straight after feeding, and he's felt quite a bit hotter than usual the last few days as well. No red cheeks or anything though.

Fingers crossed it is just growing and passes soon - the screaming is so hard to deal with, especially when I know he's hungry but he is more interested in crying than eating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->