Arghhhh clingy 1 year old

jenniferannex

Reaction score
Lily has been so clingy the last few days, its driving me mad.
i cant even sit down without her crying, if i sit down she just comes up to the chair stands there and just screams at me, i mean screams like shes in pain. but as soon as i pick her up shes fine. :nope:

i cant get anything done and i feel so stressed out :cry: i just dont know why shes doing it all of a sudden.

please shed me some light that it doesnt last long :(

i thought teeth at first but she doesnt do it when shes being held or played with on the floor, at the mo shes playing with her blocks on the floor and shes fine, but as soon as she notices im sat down thats it, she'll be straight over screaming at me :(

Mine goes throuh phases of wanting to attach and get loads of comfort and then phasesof wanting to be very independant and if I dont pick up on what phases shes in at the time thats when she starts acting out ad showing bad behaviour

I kinda enjoy the clingy phases we are just coming out of one now. Then it'll be back to not wanting to do anything with me or have any help with anything

i think id enjoy it if she didnt scream like she did :( its a horrible scream like shes in pain, it makes me think shes hurt herself, she goes bright red in the face until i pick her up and im ending up getting nothing done in the day atall :nope:

Sounds like she's discovering her will!

Clingy phases are normal, also frustration, crying with bright red face. Be careful though what your reaction is - if she learns that horribly-pitched crying will get her her way, you might be in for some tough times.

Bianka gets these mini-tantrums, and I usually try to explain to her in a calm voice that I'm not going away, etc but try to not react to every crying. Also, sometimes distraction works - I try to get her interested in something before I leave her (always in sight) and go and do something. I've found that the bad-pitched screaming has decreased a lot, though obviously we still have to deal with her anger/frustration always coming out in new and different ways.

I'm also trying to acknowledge her and give her a lto of positive reinforcement when she's playing by herself quietly.

Could be she is coming down with something too. I noticed Emily doing that around Christmas time. Just about drove me mad, but sure enough she came down with a cold a few days later !

thanks szaffi, when she does it i sometimes say 'what are you crying for' in a stern voice as i know theres nothing wrong, but she just gets more upset and screams even louder, and it carries on and i just want to pick her up so she stops. ill try that though talking to her in a calm voice. yeh i use the distraction thing with her toys and it will work for a few minutes until she realises, then its all over again. she used to be so independant and very rarely wanted to be picked up but now its just changed, i just hope she calms down abit as she has been tantrumming recently when she doesnt get her own way! little monkey.

furture numan i took her temp but all seems normal, i did think it was her teeth as first but as soon as i picked her up she was smiling, so i know she just wants constant attention. but you can never be sure so she could be coming down with a cold though so ill keep an eye on her :flower:

morgan has phases of doing this and is in one of those phases just now unfortunately i havent found a way to get her out of them before shes ready but they seem to last for 2 weeks max
only tip i have is to try not pick her up when she screams instead go over to the toy she was playing with and see if she will play with you seems to work 99% of the time with morgan
hope it passes quickly for you x

Earl follows me round crying if he's under the weather or tired or hungry - generally when he feels he needs me to do something for him.

I have found that if I need to finish what I'm doing I will bend down to his level - ask for a cuddle/kiss and then say to him '2 minutes while Mummy does xxx then we'll play with yyy/watch xxx/ go for a walk/ have lunch/ go for a nap (whatever he needs/wants) - I find he will then either carry on follwoing me (in which case I will ignore until I've finished and then follow through with whatever I have said) or he will wander off to do soemthing else for a minute or two. It took him a few days to get the hang of it (I had a bad arm and couldn't hold him so I had to do it out of necessity) but now it's a handy little tool.

River has clingy phases i just go with it. I try not to make a massive deal out of it if shes crying alot i just ask her if she wants a cuddle. Sometimes the cuddles for a minute sometimes it for 10 but eventually she waddles off and plays

We have clingy fazes here as well. I just smile at him and tell him to come on then follow mummy and even though it drives me mad I let him trail around right behind me and getting under my feet keep's him happy :haha: (his are usually related to me leaving the room to do something)

We're having real issues with the screaming though every time I set him down to change his bum/clothes etc he fights kicks and screams with tears pouring down his face until we're done :dohh: He is a nightmare to dress and change!! And is bad tempered! If I say "no we don't do that sweetheart it's dangerous and you could hurt yourself"etc whatever he has in his hand gets thrown then he starts throwing everything else or looks angry and shouts "ahhhh!" while slapping his hands off something :wacko:

Bryce is that way. OMG worse when daddy is up. He is a daddies boy and omg screams and cries. I do let him cry at times. I find it very hard when he doesnt get his way cus he is yelling now, not screaming, YELLING and OMG does he go loud. Poor daddy can not do anything without him crying. I do the same thing than aimee with her lo...it works, its hard to allow the crying, but you take a deep breath and know you are not hurting them, they are not hurt, they are basically just in need of something and they need to know to self soothe at some point. I do hope it works for you and you get some releif. It wont last long, befor you know it, she will be out with friends and you will miss her interaction. :) I think thats why I had so many kids LOL missing the baby stage lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"