Aromatherepy

CharmedKirsty

Reaction score
Has anyone used aromatherepy during labour? What aroma did you use and how did you find it?

I used my Spuggies 'Happy Birth-Day' oil burner blend - Clary Sage, Lavender & Jasmine....I love it!! I give it to all my mamas and I also have the same blend as a labour massage oil. :D

Hi

I've been using lavender during pregnancy when I do my natal hypnotherapy tracks. I'll be using it when I'm in labour but I've also been given a labour blend which has clary sage, frankincense, lavender and rose in it. I haven't even smelt it yet as clary sage is not recommended for pregnancy as it can stimulate the uterus. Once contractions start I will open it and see if I like it. I'll decide then if I'll use that or the lavender.

HTH:flower:

xx

I don't want anything to start before my EDD though coz I don't finish work til 9th Jan and we're going to start redecorating the living room tomorrow so I want that finished before baby arrives:thumbup:

xx

Oh of course I just meant for anyone else reading :winkwink:

x

I was planning on using something with Clary Sage once I reach 37 weeks when I listen to my hypnotherapy CD's to try and link the smell with being relaxed and in the bath - any excuse for a nice long warm bath though it's the only time I get to myself (albeit not alone as the cat sits next to the bath tapping the bubbles and my shoulder with his paw the weirdo!)

Smell is a good anchor to use with hypno tracks. So if you burn some oils like you suggested chuck, in the bath listening to tracks, then in labour burning the oil with help bring you to relaxation. We all know how smells can really trigger memories. Works on the same basic level x

I've got lavender incense I plan on burning on the day but haven't thought about Clary Sage, now it's all I seem to be reading about. Would you say the best way is to get an oil burner?

You can pick up oil burners pretty cheap in B&M Bargains/Wilkinsons/Pound Stretcher type places.

Clary sage is really good for encouraging contractions (hence not using till after term) and can also be applied to a warm face cloth and inhaled to use as a natural gas and air.

I used Aromatherapy for the first part of may labour for 12 hours until 5cm dilated at which point I was ready for a bit of G&A at the peak of contractions.

Clary Sage, Lavendar and Neroli was my main blend, used in bath and massage oil. Neroli is a wonderful soothing EO. I used a drop or 2 of Clary Sage on a cotton bud when I was walking about or on the ball. I had my blend in warm water with flannels to apply as a compress to my belly, back and head. I also had peppermint on stand by for the second stage as its meant to invigorate and refresh you (but I don't know if it would have worked as I progressed to section for fetal distress).

chuck that's what I've been doing, listening to my tracks whilst inhaling the lavender, to make the association with smell, music and relaxing.

I'll be doing the same again during labour, either inhaling it on a hankerchief or putting it in the bath/pool etc.

Mervs Mum no worries:flower:

xx

Smell is a good anchor to use with hypno tracks. So if you burn some oils like you suggested chuck, in the bath listening to tracks, then in labour burning the oil with help bring you to relaxation. We all know how smells can really trigger memories. Works on the same basic level x

Thats what I'm hoping...my poor hubby I'm trying to convince him all the hypno stuff isnt just a bunch of 'hippy shit' and here I am burning oils lol!

Thats what I'm hoping...my poor hubby I'm trying to convince him all the hypno stuff isnt just a bunch of 'hippy shit' and here I am burning oils lol!

:rofl: I just bought my oil burner yesterday and mine said "Is this another hippy thing?"

:rofl: I just bought my oil burner yesterday and mine said "Is this another hippy thing?"

My hubby says I'm a hippy in high heels! :lol:

My Dh is not buying into the hypno-birthing at all and says its a waste of money. I have not even brought up aromatherepy yet.

Bless em I love the way the cd's say to get your birth partner to listen to them...lol fat chance!

So who has a list of what we can use and when?

My Dh is not buying into the hypno-birthing at all and says its a waste of money. I have not even brought up aromatherepy yet.

That's why I didn't bother even looking at enrolling on a course. My hubby's response to goin gon a birth and beyond course (free in our authority) was "what else can we learn, we've already had 2 children!" Needless to say, he's not listened to any of my natal hypnotherapy tracks and all he knows he has to do is stroke the back of my hand during labour if I ask him to (that's the physical sign I've told him I want him to do).

xx

If we get a HB I'm going to be ordering him to make sandwiches and cups of tea a a lot. Miond you he may end up looking after our son (he'll be 18 months) as we have no family nearby to babysit and I sure as hell am not getting MIl or my Mum to stay for weeks just in case - they live 250 miles away so may not make it if we call in early labour.

Can't rely on mates to drop work and take care of him!

Not that I dont want Hubby around I do I hated being in theatre alone last time it was horrible, it's just he is a bit useless sometimes - especially if it's a bit medical and there may be blood no matter how little and he cannot plan what to do and read reviews on Amazon lol.

I used Hypnobirthing (i managed to get free classes) and during the labour and even afterwards i hadn't thought they had worked yet according to my midwife the did. Out of a 28hour labour i had gas and air for 2 hours.

I also had oils for labour which were a mix of rose, geranium and clary sage, at one point my contractions seemed to be slowing down so we used my oils and they made them more regular.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->