Aschial spine

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Buffy71, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Buffy71

Buffy71 Mummy to Harriet!

No, I hadn't heard of it either until I just did a search on "bony protuberrance in vagina" as I felt a bit like I had something in there, like a tampon or something (tmi sorry!). Does anyone else feel like that? Apparently it's the centre bit of the front pelvic bone. Don't know why I'm suddenly aware of it so will ring doctor tomorrow. Very odd. Having a bit of a minor panic right now.

2. CharlieP

CharlieP Mum to Charlie

Oh!! Can't help chick, but just wanted to say hoe it goes well with the docs... I am sure its just one of those things! x

3. Elski

Elski Well-Known Member

Hi Buffy,

Mw's feel for the ischial spines when they are trying to establish how low the baby's head is during labour (while performing a vaginal examination). There are two of them, one on ether side at the bottom of the pelvic bone. If you look at this diagram, they're the little triangular bits below the baby's head. Is this where you're feeling something odd?

https://findlaw.doereport.com/imagescooked/8741W.jpg

Try not to worry, I'm sure whatever it is you're feeling (ischial spines or not) is fine and probably just your body making you aware of all the changes it's going through.

Good luck at the Dr's

E x

4. Buffy71

Buffy71 Mummy to Harriet!

Hi elski, thanks so much for that. That's really helpful - it feels more central than that so at least now I can stop panicking that I'm the wrong shape down there and won't be able to give birth (which is what my sleepless night was based around last night). Will stop panicking and just go to the doc and see if I'm just being paranoid. You're probably totally right and my body is just reminding me it's busy right now.

Thanks again. Xxx