ASD Concerns

Willow82

Reaction score
So we’ve suspected 5 year old DS has ASD for a while on and off. We’ve not pursued a diagnosis as sometimes his behaviour is not too bad and he behaves well at school. However, school have raised concerns about his fine and gross motor development in that he can’t hold a pen properly or ride a bike or scooter. They have said that he has poor co-ordination, runs strangely and is clumsy. They also said he struggles with transitions and is often the loudest in the class. Despite this they scored him as being at the expected level.

We’re just returning from holiday and his behaviour all week has been incredibly difficult. He has been violent, biting OH and his younger sister as well kicking, pushing and hitting her. It’s almost as if he behaves compulsively. He will not listen when we tell him to stop and consequences/time outs only escalates matters and he will start throwing things and destroying what he can. He seems to enjoy harassing her and even said that he wishes that she was dead.

He has also been very manic and hyper, talking in a high, silly voice, laughing uncontrollably and crawling around attractions, shops etc.

When we have visited places like the beach etc, he’s initially ok and enjoys himself but then he suddenly “turns” and starts going manic and harassing his sister. He’s been grinding his teeth at night etc.

He repeats phrases constantly like “you silly baby” and stuff off tv.

He has friends that he gets on with very well but struggles with taking turns and sharing.

He is overly friendly with strangers. He went and held a stranger’s hand the other day after he struck up a conversation with us. He also has no understanding of personal space/boundaries. He will grab his friends and ruffle their hair. He blew a raspberry in a ticket persons face the other day and loses it really easily. The other day it was because his sister was watching peppa pig and he didn’t like it even though he didn’t want to watch tv.

Does this sound like ASD? We’re going to try and get a referral but i’m worried they won’t take us seriously because he behaves well at school.

Forgot to say that he also struggles with emotions. It’s impossible to talk to him about how he is feeling and will shut down when I try and talk to him.

I test kids for asd and other disorders and if I was evaluating him I would definatley suspect asd. Just because he is good in school does not mean he doesn't have asd. In fact I see many students in school with it that perform at grade level but might need a few accommodations to support them during transitions or unexpected events. There is not set way a child with asd behaves because it is a spectrum and it presents so differently with each child.

His motor skills definatley sound like they might be related. I would encourage you to seek a referral as it would only help for planning his supports in school and home.

Have you tried any kind of social story or picture schedule to help when there are changes in his schedule? It might help if he knew what was expected of him before a new situation so he doesn't do things like crawl around on the ground. Many kids with asd don't pick up on social cues and must me explicitly taught how to behave, often times multiple times. Anyways, I hope that helps you for next time so it's not as stressful.

I am a mother of a child with ADHD/ASD and a teacher with some training in ASD and 10 years teaching experience.

So we’ve suspected 5 year old DS has ASD for a while on and off. We’ve not pursued a diagnosis as sometimes his behaviour is not too bad and he behaves well at school. However, school have raised concerns about his fine and gross motor development in that he can’t hold a pen properly or ride a bike or scooter. They have said that he has poor co-ordination, runs strangely and is clumsy. They also said he struggles with transitions and is often the loudest in the class. Despite this they scored him as being at the expected level.

While this could be ASD, this could also fall under the umbrella of Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). My son has exceptional academics, well above grade level. It is the social that gets him. Intelligence is not an indicator of ASD.

We’re just returning from holiday and his behaviour all week has been incredibly difficult. He has been violent, biting OH and his younger sister as well kicking, pushing and hitting her. It’s almost as if he behaves compulsively. He will not listen when we tell him to stop and consequences/time outs only escalates matters and he will start throwing things and destroying what he can. He seems to enjoy harassing her and even said that he wishes that she was dead.

My first thought is that he is fine and then he gets over-stimulated or something just tweaks him. Children with ASD often have trouble understanding their behaviour and/or being able to communicate it even when they do, so they lash out. My son will still hit and push. I think the reason he 'enjoys harrassing' his sister is that he gets what he sees as a desirable result. This is purely speculation based on what I have seen from my own children.

He repeats phrases constantly like “you silly baby” and stuff off tv.

This is something many children with ASD do, it is a form of communication when they do not yet have the vocabulary themselves to communicate what they need/want. My son STILL does this and it comes very close to driving me crazy :wacko:

He also has no understanding of personal space/boundaries. He will grab his friends and ruffle their hair. He blew a raspberry in a ticket persons face the other day and loses it really easily. The other day it was because his sister was watching peppa pig and he didn’t like it even though he didn’t want to watch tv.

Personal space issues come from being able to understand body language and social signals, something that is very difficult for children with ASD. I am still trying to teach this to my son. In regards to the tv, all I can think is that it has to do with wanting to control his environment for some reason (my son does this as well).

Does this sound like ASD? We’re going to try and get a referral but i’m worried they won’t take us seriously because he behaves well at school.

I would recommend speaking to the school about your concerns and your doctor as well.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->