Ask a Baptist/Pentacostal Christian

Kess

Reaction score
This is an Ask A ... thread for anyone who has respectful questions about Baptist/Pentacostal Christianity. Lynnikins has agreed to answer people's questions about her faith. Please can we refrain from debate, that's not what this thread is for, and remain polite in how we phrase things.

Lynnikins, could you start by telling us if you are conservative, liberal or mainstream within your denomination? There are so many POV within each religion (Christianity in particular it seems!) that knowing which perspective within your denomination you are answering from could be helpful.

Lynnikins, could you start by telling us if you are conservative, liberal or mainstream within your denomination? There are so many POV within each religion (Christianity in particular it seems!) that knowing which perspective within your denomination you are answering from could be helpful.

Hey,
Ok I was born into a Baptist family and dedicated as a baby, both my parents were actively involved in church life with Mum singing as part of the Music Ministry team and Dad one of the Sunday School teachers.
I got a strong Faith based upbringing from my parents and our church, The church went through some changes when i was 5/6 yrs old and the congregation split and formed 2 separate churches and my Parents went with the Minister at the time and ended up getting more invovled in the running of the church with my Father taking on the role of an Elder and treasurer. I always knew about Christ and the stories from the bible from my young childhood and when i was 7 yrs old I was at a Christain holiday program run by the OAC "Open Air Campainers" and it was there I made a personal choice for the first time to commit my life to Christ. I continued with Church and Girls brigade and at 8 yrs old joined a childrens outreach group in which i performed in Churches around the area as well as doing street busking/performances most weekends. I was baptised at 10 yrs old by my father and our pastor. At 11 yrs old my family got involved in Christian Camping ministry and my parents became " Camp Parents " for a holiday camp for disadvantaged children who were reffered by their schools and social workers as they wouldnt normally get holidays. At 14 I started working my holidays at another Christian Camp called Bridge Valley Christian Ranch and teaching Sunday School alongside my elder sister at our church ( different church but still baptist )at 16 yrs old I realised after some tough times personally that I needed some spiritual food and started attending a "Pentecostal " New life church separate from my family who were still at the baptist church at the time.

Basicly im protestant but feel more settled in a open baptist or Pentecostal church home and I believe that my faith is vital to daily life and not just for Sundays and church. We have been based at a local baptist church for the last 5 years but in 2 wks will be moving to a "non denominational " church which has just be founded by some friends of ours Rob Joy and his wife being from an Elim background though Compass church will not be under the Elim church banner and is founded around spreading God's word into the community working with other churches and discipling people in God's word so they can do his work.

So what are the main differences between Pentacostal and Baptist?

Am I remembering correctly that Pentacostals speak in tongues?

the baptist churches in each country are run by the Baptist foundation which kind of supports and links the churches as most Pentecostal churches dont have a central church that they are overseen by if that makes sense

the Pentecostal church has been defined by the Spritual Manesfestaions of the Holy Spirit as happened on the Day of Pentecost to the gathered believers where people spoke in tongues and other Signs happened and most Pentecostal churches around the world have these happening during most services. However its not ever been one of the important factors in the pentecostal churches ive been to they are pretty much just a place to hear good solid bible teaching and where people are free to worship how they are comfortable and for some that is the All singing dancing, speaking in tongues but for others they are there for the teaching and quiet reflective worship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->